• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 OP +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

devoted fan of the us-armed forces

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 21 August 2014 - 16:04

Kernel updater is just a script that downloads the latest 3.16 kernel, it will downlaod the latest one that may or may not have been available for your system yet. It also may or may not break things on your system

not at all. i love kernel updates. i remember back in 2009 when i did my first i was so in full panic because, knowing windows, i feared i would end up with a complete broken system in case anything goes wrong.

it worked but i did not know why. and i was just happy.

got my htc desire and that was running on android and android is also just a linux sys.

i replaced my iphone 3g with an android device because i knew from xda-developers that you could heavily modify it and also run custom kernels.

only thanks to android i learnt that a kernel is not an os. it's 2 different things. and i love the way linux/android handles it.

if i install a kernel not suiting my needs, i still can boot the previous one.

a kernel update with my update tool or manually or via update manager N E V E R  deletes the old kernel.

the worst thing can happen is your os won't boot, you press the reset button next time you get a boot menu you chose the previous kernel to boot, then you uninstall the new one. mission accomplished. :D

kernel updates these days or even in previous days are a bit like bios updates these days. these days even if you screw up your bios update, the bios itself (!) detects it and flashed back the old one.

this was not the norm 14 years back when i first destroyed one mainboard through a wrong bios flash, thankfully the nice guy in my pc store could flash it back.

#17 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 21 August 2014 - 16:10

What you need to realise is that if people need to use a script to do a kernel update. Then most likely they aint gonna know how to fix something that goes wrong

Ubuntu amd Mint for example dont give you a grub boot screen they just boot the top option

#18 OP +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

devoted fan of the us-armed forces

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 21 August 2014 - 16:13

What you need to realise is that if people need to use a script to do a kernel update. Then most likely they aint gonna know how to fix something that goes wrong

Ubuntu amd Mint for example dont give you a grub boot screen they just boot the top option

they do it once. but if it fails i get the grub option. i use kubuntu 14.04, but i remember getting it also back with ubuntu 12x and 13x.

now i even once got that famous hdd check during boot (i know my 7 years old hdd with deep red smart statuses needs an replacement asap) so i think linux is really up2it.

safest way however is to install my snapshot-linux. it not only includes the latest kde but it also includes the kde grub manager, where you can customize your grub till you drop dead.