Police: Man drives stolen electric shopping cart to meet probation officer

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. ?An Albuquerque man was being held in the Bernalillo County Jail Tuesday after police said he drove a stolen electric shopping cart to meet with this probation officer.

Court Documents say Michael Johnson, 18, arrived to meet with his probation officer on Monday at the Metropolitan Courthouse on an electric shopping cart from Walmart.

The probation officer asked Johnson where he got the cart, to which Johnson said he ?took it from the Walmart on San Mateo and Zuni,? the documents say.

Johnson was arrested and charged with larceny and receiving stolen property. He violated his probation when he was arrested and is being held on a $500 bond.

Albuquerque police made the arrest and said Tuesday that the cart could have been put to better use.

?The cart was worth over $1,800, and certainly it could have been used by those who needed it more than this man,? APD spokesman Tanner Tixier said.

Not as bad as the Detroit dude who was wearing a court ordered tether for another offense when he murdered a guy. Still wearing it when the cops tracked him using it. Duh.

Not to mention some handicapper or elderly person that needed to use it couldn't. Despicable.

I don't think I've ever seen a disabled person using one of those carts at my wal-mart... always some teen goofing off, or someone who can obviously walk fine and is just lazy... they will ride it through the store then walk 1,000 ft down a parking lot like its nothing...... wish people who don't need them would just let them alone