Looking to stream YouTube videos to a large tv

The front cashier of my office has the perfect space on the back wall for a large tv screen (50-60 inches).

What I intend to do is setup a tv to stream videos from our YouTube channel. This way customers can watch demos and view new products as they wait to pay for their items.

I have an older Dell pc (it's video card does not support hdmi) so i was wondering if a suitable video card upgrade is possible. It would be nice to have a dedicated pc for this purpose.

Maybe somebody has some ideas or a better solution?

Thanks

If it's a YouTube thing, grab a ChromeCast for $35, plug it in the TV, connect it to a copy of Chrome/Chromium via the addon and fire away. Runs independently of your system once it's streaming. Your TV still needs an HDMI though but that's kind of a given nowadays anyway.. doesn't even have to be a PC, can do it via Android/Windows Phone (not sure on iPhone) and such too. Setup is really simple, only takes a few minutes.

If it's a YouTube thing, grab a ChromeCast for $35, plug it in the TV, connect it to a copy of Chrome/Chromium via the addon and fire away. Runs independently of your system once it's streaming. Your TV still needs an HDMI though but that's kind of a given nowadays anyway.. doesn't even have to be a PC, can do it via Android/Windows Phone (not sure on iPhone) and such too. Setup is really simple, only takes a few minutes.

Yup. Chromecast, no brainer.

Why youtube?  Why the reliance upon connectivity?  Not able to put them on a usb stick and play natively?

Most TVs have gone away from including USB ports.

Can I set it up so that it streams playlists?

Can I set it up so that it streams playlists?

Not something I do normally, just tried it, seems to do playlists just fine.

I have Chromecast and it is amazingly good, and simple to setup.  But remember, it requires a device to control the streaming.  Also, again - with youtube, you will get adverts I believe.

http://www.xtreamer.net/

wifi or hardline

It will play just about any type of video file extension streamed to it.

easy peasy..without the annoying interruptions you get from chromecast or any other streaming device.

and yes, not only will it play youtube, it has a dedicated channel to it.

BTW: most smart tv's already have a dedicated youtube channel

BTW: most smart tv's already have a dedicated youtube channel

Yes but OP wants to manage the playlist... he doesn't want to manage it via remote...  so he can manage the playlist from his phone or PC/laptop then send it to TV wirelessly... that simple.

Another nod for Chromecast. Will absolutely do what you are looking for.

Why youtube?  Why the reliance upon connectivity?  Not able to put them on a usb stick and play natively?

Got to agree with this. No need to make things overly complicated for the sake of it. A USB stick or heck just burn a DVD

Chromecast is really cheap way to accomplish this. You do need a wifi network (2.4 only) and as mentioned you need a device to control it with and start the playing. This could be any phone/tablet or PC that is on the same network as the wifi network.

Once you start playing this control device is no longer needed. So you can just connect say your phone, get your channel playing and then disconnect your phone from the wifi network and it will continue to play.

I have never looped anything, so not sure if say you had a channel with 10 videos in it and you created a playlist of these if it can be setup to loop continuously? I would think that is possible, but not 100% sure - could try when I get home.

Got to agree with this. No need to make things overly complicated for the sake of it. A USB stick or heck just burn a DVD

With Chromecast, it's not just about youtube, you can toss other services including apps that will stream from local network devices (like a NAS). It's extremely easy, and very cheap. Burning discs sounds overly complicated and time consuming. USB stick would work, but with Chromecast, it's far more convenient/easy. As a last resort (backup plan), use a USB stick.  

ehh,

Chromecast or Roku will do what OP wants.. but connectivity will drop from time to time.

Whereas xtreamer will not lose connectivity...been using it for years on multiple devices and tv's and it also has an optional phone app for remote.

ehh,

Chromecast or Roku will do what OP wants.. but connectivity will drop from time to time.

Whereas xtreamer will not lose connectivity...been using it for years on multiple devices and tv's and it also has an optional phone app for remote.

never had connectivity problem on mine... i have roku and the rest of media devices such as xbox... no problem.

it might be your area...  not ours.

The only time anything is wrong with my roku is when I have a provider issue. The box is solid. If you are having issues you have other networking issues going on our sine other isolated to you issue. Roku 3, Samsung smart, chrome cast, and plex all have no issues here

i think, just for watching videos over a TV, a simple USB pen or an external HDD will suffice: it doesn't need wifi connectivity, it doesn't need an external device to set up the playlist, it doesn't need anything at all! Now for something more complex then that (like videos with legends but without being burned into the video or more services like streaming) then a Roku, Chromecast or any android mini pc will do the job (even a raspberry can be more cheaper than those as well).

OP: you must check what is a priority: to just display videos or having more services. 

You people are not thinking right..

OP said that he will have TV mounted on the wall.... it could be out of reach unless you have a ladder...

chromecast is best choice for wirelessly as long as they have wireless setup in their building.

Even he can manage the playlist from the device such as phone or tablet... then send it to the TV, no problem.