Not too Sure of Cyan Update :/

Not too sure of the update now it's finally here.

ACTION CENTRE:

The action centre is completely useless for me as I don't use any of the quick actions and use the live tiles for notifications.  I thought it would be a cool feature but now I've got to grips with it... boring.  If I could put any app there to launch, then brill.

APP LIST:

Why oh why they decided to split the games off I, but continue to have a games hub, I don't know.

Why don't they give you the option to do this instead of having both?  It seems silly to me.

PODCASTS APP:

Never going to listen to a pod cast, but I can't remove the app.  Spent 10 minutes removing apps the update put on (mostly Bing apps), which I sort of understand why they included them but at the same time, a bit rubbish.

I understand also that default apps (like Camera) need to be kept but surely Podcasts isn't essential?

WIFI SENSE:

Simply doesn't work.

I regularly travel on a train where I have to accept some terms and conditions before I can connect.  I thought Wi-Fi sense would do this for me so it just connects anyway.  But no, I still have to open the browser and tick the box to connect.

There's probably more and overall it's a good update but in some areas, they have made WP worse.  I love the IE reading view.  My problem is that I still find Android clunky to use after using WP for the last couple of years and iOS isn't an option.  I'm sure it'll get better in the end though.

Just for some clarification what you are talking about are the new features of Windows Phone 8.1 and not specifically Cyan.  Cyan is the update to Lumia's firmware.

Action Center:  To each is there own.  If you don't like it you don't have to use it.  I personally like it.  One tweak I would like to see is the quick actions scrollable so you add more than what can fit on the screen.

App List:  Yeah I don't know what MS was thinking about with this.  I'm sort of mixed.

Podcast App:  It's unusual you cannot remove it.

WiFi Sense:  It's not perfect and there are a few hotspots that give WiFi Sense problems.

Action Center: I like it, though it could use a bit more tweaking

App List: this point of yours I can agree with

Podcast App: you can't remove it? I guess I haven't cared enough to try

WiFi Sense: I've had it work one or twice (it logged me in the Applebees wifi). This feature is still a new concept. I'm personally giving MS the benefit of the doubt that they'll release updates improving it over time

This just sounds like you guys are talking about the 8.1 update, not the Cyan update. huh.png

technically 8.1 is part of cyan :p shifty.gif

Not too sure of the update now it's finally here.

ACTION CENTRE:

The action centre is completely useless for me as I don't use any of the quick actions and use the live tiles for notifications.  I thought it would be a cool feature but now I've got to grips with it... boring.  If I could put any app there to launch, then brill.

APP LIST:

Why oh why they decided to split the games off I, but continue to have a games hub, I don't know.

Why don't they give you the option to do this instead of having both?  It seems silly to me.

Completely agree.  I always maintained that a notification tray wasn't necessary on WP and nothing has changed now that it's arrived.  It just feels like I'm being hassled multiple times every time I receive a notification - the lock screen, the live tiles and now the action centre.  I like that it includes notifications about system issues (e.g. if mail settings need my attention) but I would have worked that out pretty quickly without the notification and I only really see that sort of thing post upgrade.

I'm yet to find anyone who thinks having games in the app list is a good idea.  I upgraded my partner to Cyan this morning and that was the first thing she complained about.

No, I prefer Brando212's nice honest comment. :p

Really? Then why you already said this:

I don't think so. Unless having developer updates enabled makes you one. :laugh:

You said you don't think so meaning you aren't a wizard. :p

Really? Then why you already said this:

You said you don't think so meaning you aren't a wizard. :p

OK, I'll admit I'm not a wizard. Cyan is actually a separate update from 8.1, which is why it confused me when people started listing 8.1 features. I guess it's because the updates are being paired together if you have a Nokia phone that's locked and only receives carrier updates. 

• Like 3

OK, I'll admit I'm not a wizard. Cyan is actually a separate update from 8.1, which is why it confused me when people started listing 8.1 features. I guess it's because the updates are being paired together if you have a Nokia phone that's locked and only receives carrier updates. 

That's the thing, Nokia users tend to confuse WP8.1 and Cyan. Cyan is the firmware, WP8.1 is the OS.

If you're a wizard for running WP8.1 without Cyan, then I must be some sort of god seeing as I have WP8.1 running on my Samsung ATIV S so I don't even get Cyan.  :D  :rofl:  :laugh:

That's the thing, Nokia users tend to confuse WP8.1 and Cyan. Cyan is the firmware, WP8.1 is the OS.

If you're a wizard for running WP8.1 without Cyan, then I must be some sort of god seeing as I have WP8.1 running on my Samsung ATIV S so I don't even get Cyan.  :D  :rofl:  :laugh:

Yup, that's why I actually had to double check the version currently on phone when I saw this topic. :pinch: Maybe the OP should request a title change for this topic to make it less confusing.

Also, you may as well be one. :laugh:

I'm still not sure but I will stick with Windows Phone for now.

I still think the games in the list AND a games app is barmy.  But like I say, I too was missing an action centre; then realised the tiles told me all the info I needed to know.  I guess it's good for apps you don't have as live tiles but even then it's only bordering on "maybe useful" at best.

Apologies about opening the "debate" on WP 8.1/Cyan.  As I have a Lumia phone, I didn't know if anything was different (IE, if Nokia changed something in their 8.1 update) so thought it best referencing what I am actually using.

ACTION CENTRE:
The only useful feature for me is that I can quickly see what the email contains or what people wrote to me on facebook and stuff. And if those messages are not important then I don't have to launch those apps to see what the message is.

APP LIST:
I read somewhere that Microsoft considering adding an option in future to turn on/off games in applist. But maybe that was just speculation.

PODCASTS APP:
I think I didn't even launched it yet, not even once. But the strange thing I never actually felt I need to remove it. It was in WP8 too but under music+videos. So it's not a huge problem for me if it's still there. (the same with fm radio, they put that into applist from music+videos too)

WIFI SENSE:
In my country, this feature is completely removed, there is not even any mentioning about this in the phone SW. So be happy if it's even exist on your phone :p