Home networking help

Hi all, I am mostly proficient with computers, but am definitely a hobbyist instead of professional.  My professional life in no way helps me with my computer skills.  I say this as an introduction and to let you know I have searched and can not specifically find an answer to my delimma.  I am building a freenas box (almost done) and have come to the realization my setup is TERRIBLE.  It works fine for what I have been doing, but I am sure there are much simpler setups for my needs.  Alot of my networking gear is from handouts and not needed PC items that have been acquired for building/repairing new computers for friends and family. So given the items I have now, and that I am adding a NAS (it doesn't matter where to me, but help me find an optimal spot).  My main PC is above my garage which has caused nothing but problems for my setup.  A picture is worth 1000 words so I will attatch.

Thanks!

http://www.gliffy.com/go/publish/image/6084429/L.png

post-525401-0-01534800-1408828536.png

You want to expand a Wireless network ... ?

Maybe you can find helpful equipment here:

http://www.ampedwireless.com/

There is a free Chat to advise you before buying anything.

It is best to place a router in the center of a house to broadcast wifi.

There are also built-in Windows settings to share files over your router/Network.

You have to set up file sharing Permissions on each computer.

Maybe things would run smoother without the Electrical Ethernet boxes.

Are you running those routers as access points? You say you're having issues with the powerline adapters are they 200 or 500mpbs rated and have a clean connection (green lights not amber)?

For the NAS I would want it on or near the main router personally not runnin off the powerline adapters.. But others may have their own recommendations

I'm not looking to expand, I have pretty good coverage wireless now. The routers are running as access points.  The power-line light is red, but I'm not sure how fast the connection is.  It is fast enough for browsing, and when I do a speed test from my computer it is 18 mb/s which is basically my u-verse contract speed.  I have tried different outlets but the problem is the garage is wired almost separately from the rest of the house, so this is the best i can do with those.  

What I'm asking is is there a simpler way to do this?  I want all of my laptops and wireless devices to see the other devices, and also function at a speed fast enough to stream movies from my NAS.  If I put the NAS downstairs wired to the router my PS3 is on than I know it will be fast enough. But then for my PC to stream from it it will have to go outside to the U-verse gateway, through my Uverse receiver, into my router, through the powerline, through the other router, and then to my PC.  It seems like this is just way more complicated than it needs to be.

Any suggestions on how to simplify this?

Thanks

" I want all of my laptops and wireless devices to see the other devices"

Well if your other routes you show are actual AP then they would be on the same network already and yes be able to "see" each other.  So either they are not actually AP and your natting, or you have wireless isolation on and the clients are wireless to wireless and isolated per setting on your wireless routers, etc.

What are the model numbers of the devices your using?  Both your routers and your powerline..  And what is that device in the bottom left by the TV?  Is that yet another router?

I don't see any sort of clients in this network - what are they you talk about building a  NAS to serve up stuff to what - your tvs..  Then it should be connected via wire on your house side of the powerline -- not in the garage over powerline.  Powerline is fine for 1 machine or to use to connect an AP, etc.  But I am not sure I would use it as my main backbone connection.

Model numbers of everything would be huge help..  And is your TV upstairs wireless?  Also what are the speeds of your other clients - 18mbps is really slow internet speeds to be honest these days..  But you don't need anything more than G wireless to get those speeds to the internet.  But if your wanting to stream HD movies over wireless your going to want N, etc.  So what are you clients hardware - what wireless do they support G, N, AC?

Ok, I have re done the diagram with all connections and model numbers, hope this helps.  Does the fact I have the upstairs using my U-Verse receivers ethernet jack make a difference?  It just has a coax input, but somehow it passes internet through the ethernet port.  If there is a simpler way please let me know.  I would prefer my NAS upstairs, I'm just concerned about it streaming fast enough to watch downstairs.  Or visa versa if I place it downstairs.

post-525401-0-23859000-1408863395.png

All active routers are N except for the one beside my pc that is G.  The G router is only for phones and tablets to have connection upstairs.  The PC itself just uses it as a router and is hardwired to my PC.

So you have 2 coax cables and 2 modems from uverse - and 1 is connected via telephone? RJ11? Cat3??

Clearly you have multiple networks setup here..  I have to assume the bottom one is natting and then the one on the second floor is natting, etc.

And for all we know your wireless routers are also natting..  Since you have not said anything other than your using as AP..  I find this like 90% not really accurate and they are natting, etc.

How do you have these N10P and E800 and your Wrt54g setup and connected.. Are they connected via lan, and dhcp turned off and your dhcp comes from both your uverse routers?  If you want all your devices on 1 network you need to be using 1 router.. I don't really undersand the router with coax and then a router with telephone (dsl?) ??  What is the model number of these devices?

What exact powerline adapters do you have - I don't see anything with a model number of N200 in powerline products http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/

As to where you nas sits..  Once your on 1 network, which should be a gig backbone does not matter where your nas sits..  Where do you want to put it?  In the garage? At best those powerlines are 200mbps -- which they say they have fast ethernet -- so your talking like 90mbps maybe 95..  Why would you want to connect your server and or nas at 100mbit??  But seems all your N routers are only 10/100 as well.

What I would suggest is run an actual wire out to your garage if that is where you want to house your nas/server/etc And invest in at least a gig switch so your wired network can be gig.  You can get a gig switch for as little as $20..  And If you want 1 network then you need to go with only 1 router or you need to put their lan on the same network and connect them via lan.  Then you could use which ever you want for outbound gateway - but at a loss to why you would have both a coax and telephone connection??  That makes no sense and points to a dsl type connection - what are the model numbers of those devices?

When you connect to these uverse routers what are their wan IPs?  Are they public or rfc1918? 10.x.x.x 192.168.x.x 172.16-31.x.x  And lets get some model numbers off of them, and this box you say is outside that has both coax and telephone (you sure its not cat5, elephone would be cat3 with rj11 not rj45)  Is there an actual device outside if so what is its model number.

+BudMan thank you so much for your replies.  I will work on getting the model numbers for you.  I'll let you know what I can clarify as of now....... I have some sort of "gateway (maybe an incorrect term)" that was installed by ATT Uverse outside my home.  It is a large box that is mostly locked up, but I'll try to take a pic or get a model number.  From there I have a regular phone line (not ethernet) running into my house where the modem router is.

This left no connectivity to the upstairs of my home, so I found that the coax that goes from this "gateway box" into my uverse receiver upstairs has an ethernet port that connects to the internet.  I used it as a way to wire my upstairs.  Also let me clarify that my PC is in a room above the garage, not in the garage. 

Once again thanks.   I will post another image and update it with model numbers...etc.

So what are the wan IPs of these 2 devices?  if you go to whatsmyip you get the same public IP?

This is why I believe your on 2 different private networks.. You should take a cable from your top floor router and run it to the bottom floor.  And use just AP and then your all on the same network.  I don't have a lot of experience with uverse - but seems odd that you have 2 routers/modems connected in the house.