Faster hard drive ...

Yeah I was late to the SSD party as well, was night and day on my PC - really breathed new life into a somewhat older machine. I then added a SSD to my esxi host.. Man did it make a difference in the speed of booting VMs ;) And while also speeding up the actual esxi host boot as well as a side effect. Yeah many people just run their esxi host off a usb. I don't see the point - its a couple GB on the disk, I don't have that many vms that I am worried about a few GBs - would rather have the host up a couple of mins faster when I have to reboot it on upgrade/patch or power outage, or setting change that requires reboot of the host.

Once you go SSD, yeah I don't see myself ever running a machine of mine on hdd again - and the prices are very reasonable currently. I keep toying with putting ssd in my wifes laptop. But the way its used, its never really off - just standby and what is used for speed of the disk is really not an issue. But if it was "my" laptop for sure it would be SSD ;)

Well, I am fully Upgraded now.

New faster drive.

And I went whole hog -- Installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. :p

I wasn't too sure about buying a Product Key, from a Panama web site, with an apparently Chinese name, and a Scots CSR, charging euros. :wacko:

Key didn't work at Set-up, but I realized I would need to be connected to the internet.

So after I got most drivers installed, I activated on-line.

Genuine Windows 7.

Gone are the Registry problems.

There were only 196 Windows Updates to download ! :s

So for less than $100 I have a faster hard drive and the coolest flavor of Windows.

A good day indeed .... :cool:

Not sure if you are trolling or not. What you claim to have done is illogical as you had a genuine Windows 7 Home Premium license key that you should have used for a clean install using an OEM DVD.

Hum - you need to clarify this situation. it's driving us nuts!

You said on pg1 that you bought an external hard drive and had trouble prying open the case. Now youre saying it's actually an internal hard drive?

Also, you never said whether or not if you had Win7 prior to this 'upgrade'. Were you still on Vista or XP or something else?

^ No one read my first post ... ?

For no particular reason, I bought a faster hard drive for my main laptop.

a) Not sure if I should just Clone it [Windows 7 Home Premium]

b) Copy the Set-up partition, starting from scratch

c) Buy new Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate [$88 min.]

thoughts ... ?

I don't know how you Clone a laptop hard drive, without putting the new drive in an External case. ;)

Turns out that I only NTFS formatted the new drive with WD Tools.

I downloaded a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit from Microsoft servers, Digital River.

Paid for a Product Key/license.

Clean Install from a burned .iso DVD.

Walla ... happiness.

While I too am confused on the internal/external thing - he never said what HDD he bought or what is machine had in before it. And only thing he linked too was an external hdd case, does not even come with a disk. So maybe that was for putting his old disk in?

But he did say he had a home pre copy before

"a) Not sure if I should just Clone it [Windows 7 Home Premium]"

But that score of 5.9 is not all that good for I7, I have a i5 and have a score of 6.9 where that is my graphic cards bringing it down my disk is maxed at 7.9.. So what does this new faster drive score you? What are the specs, what was in there before, etc.

post-14624-0-75484000-1409169403.png

But that score of 5.9 is not all that good for I7, I have a i5 and have a score of 6.9 where that is my graphic cards bringing it down my disk is maxed at 7.9.. So what does this new faster drive score you? What are the specs, what was in there before, etc.

I'm not sure about 10000+ RPM, but HDDs don't get more than 5.9 in W7.

If people just want a bigger Penis erhm sorry I meant higher windows score there is afaik a reg hack out there

"don't get more than 5.9 in W7."

They do if they are SSD.. I only posted that to try and get OP to actually give something to go off of for his "faster" HDD other than link to external case and total score that is impossible to tell what the HDD even scored, etc.

The index thing is pretty useless in general - but it would be something, which is better than what we have gotten in this thread so far.. Which is absolutely nothing!!

Yup, index score is lame... I don't give a dmn about it..

All I make sure the system is running well for me that I have daily duties on it... such as office, web surfing, etc.

If I want something that runs higher (such as high end system), than I could build the gaming system like Alienware does. 

SSD = OS

HDD = Data/apps/backup

"don't get more than 5.9 in W7."

They do if they are SSD.. I only posted that to try and get OP to actually give something to go off of for his "faster" HDD other than link to external case and total score that is impossible to tell what the HDD even scored, etc.

The index thing is pretty useless in general - but it would be something, which is better than what we have gotten in this thread so far.. Which is absolutely nothing!!

That's why I only said HDDs and I do agree about the lack of usefulness.

Hum is awfully secretive about this. Maybe he/she's yearning for a new conspiracy.

• Like 1