Muslim woman offended by restaurant Bacon ad

vermont removed insensitive forum post bad feelings

147 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,888 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:49

WINOOSKI, VT —A sign on a lamp post at the bottom of the Winooski Circle displayed the words “Yield Sneakers Bacon” until Friday morning. The bistro owners took it down.

It got there as part of “Operation Bloom.”

A city program put it in place to keep its flower beds beautiful. If businesses do some gardening they can post an advertisement where they do it, but the word “bacon” on the Sneakers Bistro sign started a discussion about diversity on the Winooski Front Porch Forum.

It started with a post from one woman who wrote that the sign was insensitive to those who do not consume pork. She said as a Muslim she is personally offended by it.

The owners of Sneakers spoke to WPTZ. They say they’ve reached out to the individual who made the post and proactively took the sign down. They also say they regret any harm caused by the sign, and that their goal was never to cause stress or bad feelings.

more

#2 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,455 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:54

Of course, common sense dictates that you don't go to restaurants or places that offend your religious beliefs.  Problem solved and everyone is happy.

#3 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:58

Please. . .this is just stupid. . .really stupid.  You religous malcontents need to get a life. . . :/

#4 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,896 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:27

POPULAR

Why is it so many people go out of their way to not offend Muslims these days?  When you move to another's land, you adjust to THEIR way of life, not the other way around.

If she doesn't like seeing ads for pork products, she has the choice to leave.

#5 Ian W

Ian W

Physical presence asserted.

• 1,397 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:30

I am sorry she was offended, but she didn't have to say anything . . . The advertisement wasn't actually harming anyone.

#6 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• 5,348 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:34

I'm offended that she's offended, now what do we do?

#7 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,809 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:36

Give her cab fare to the airport, one way?

#8 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• 691 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:37

I'm offended that she's offended, now what do we do?

Put it back up?

#9 artnada

artnada

Merrrr

• 2,836 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:45

Ah, professionally offended people, got to have something to be "offended" by. /rolleyes/

#10 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,956 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:59

typical islamic/religious arrogance,

i for one have lots of stuff i do not wish to eat,

but i not to 'feel offended' if somebody else advertising that stuff i do not wish to eat.

#11 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,810 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:03

Sounds like she needs to go back to her own country, where she would probably be stoned to death for driving or talking to another man.

#12 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,963 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:03

As of reading this there is now an Englishman offended by a Muslim woman offended by a sign about bacon.

Very diplomatic of the restaurant to be fair, i;'d have offended her worse once i'd put my foot up her arse and told her where to go. It's a shame there's people like this in the world because plenty of people will now label tat a "Muslim" thing, where's I've sat in greasy spoons with Muslim friends and co-workers and happily tucked in to a fry up made prodomenantly of pig, with no offence taken by any one.

#13 engii

engii

Neowinian

• 39 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:19

This all sounds like a windup...seriously people out there believing this actually happens on a daily basis...

On the other hand people will do all sorts of stuff based on their religious beliefs, including taking down bacon signs or complaining but its not something we can put on muslims only now is it?

#14 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,809 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:20

It's a Picky People Thing©

Some folks just have to have something complain about. Could be an Atheist, Christian, Muslim, Jew whatever. Doesn't matter. They live to bitch and take offense. Sometimes at/about each other, often about at whatever's convenient.

Bitch, bitch, bitch....

#15 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,396 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:44

I would of told the woman to get f*****d. No one has the right to tell me what I can and can't do. 
If she was offended by it, like all normal people, she should of just walked away. 
Anyway im offended that she was offended by it. Anyone that does not like Bacon is not a human being. :/