Muslim woman offended by restaurant Bacon ad

As someone who is pretty familiar with Hinduism and its religious shenanigans, I don't ever remember reading anything specific about pork in Hinduism. It is either meat or no meat. The only specific thing you find about meat is about beef*. Everything else is a fair game.

*One of my uncles had explained me that in ancient times, cows/bullocks were more useful alive (milk, plowing etc.) their slaughter/consumption was banned so that they can be better used in other ways. It obviously came wrapped in religious mumbo-jumbo so that people would actually follow it. If his reasoning is true, the whole holy-cow-don't-eat-beef is now outdates as with most religious stuff.

then you should know that a large sections of Hinduism are vegetarian

So, if that logic applies to Pigs, of what use were they?

I have no idea but what FloatingFatMan sounds likely.

I do but how is that relevant to your claim that pork is banned in Hinduism? You are welcome to eat as many pigs as you want around here.

^ If even less relevant unless Yazoo can provide examples of Hindus complaining about the advertisement of pork or other meat product because of their religion prohibiting them eating it. He suggested only stories where Muslims complain get published. Show me a Hindu complaining about a steak house or something. Or a Jew complaining about a seafood restaurant.

I wonder what this women does when he goes to the grocery store's meat department and sees pork chops and Christmas hams. Does she have a mental breakdown or a panic attack? So ridiculous.

Sheesh... At least read the post you're replying too!  Here, I'll highlight a bit for you...

As someone who is pretty familiar with Hinduism and its religious shenanigans, I don't ever remember reading anything specific about pork in Hinduism. It is either meat or no meat. The only specific thing you find about meat is about beef*. Everything else is a fair game.

Out of interest, how many of you are offended by dog-meat restaurants?

From what I've read, the dogs are usually horribly mistreated, that offends me.

It's worth noting that both Jewish and Islamic dietary laws prohibit the consumption of dog meat anyway.

Why is it so many people go out of their way to not offend Muslims these days?  When you move to another's land, you adjust to THEIR way of life, not the other way around.

If she doesn't like seeing ads for pork products, she has the choice to leave.

This has baffled me as well. Here in India, Subway stopped their Pork lineup altogether.

WINOOSKI, VT ?A sign on a lamp post at the bottom of the Winooski Circle displayed the words ?Yield Sneakers Bacon? until Friday morning. The bistro owners took it down.

It got there as part of ?Operation Bloom.?

A city program put it in place to keep its flower beds beautiful. If businesses do some gardening they can post an advertisement where they do it, but the word ?bacon? on the Sneakers Bistro sign started a discussion about diversity on the Winooski Front Porch Forum.

It started with a post from one woman who wrote that the sign was insensitive to those who do not consume pork. She said as a Muslim she is personally offended by it.

The owners of Sneakers spoke to WPTZ. They say they?ve reached out to the individual who made the post and proactively took the sign down. They also say they regret any harm caused by the sign, and that their goal was never to cause stress or bad feelings.

more

She's a Muslim and in America, a country that welcomes all religions, races...etc. If she doesn't like that, she can go back to where she came from.

• Like 3

I have no idea but what FloatingFatMan sounds likely.

I do but how is that relevant to your claim that pork is banned in Hinduism? You are welcome to eat as many pigs as you want around here.

Another Hindu here. 

Though I have tasted beef, I prefer not to eat it for health reasons (I don't trust the beef quality). As far as I know, there is absolutely NOTHING written about not eating pork in the Hindu religion. It's just that majority of Hindus are vegetarians, they avoid pork too.

I enjoy bacon once in a while. If I see a beef burger, my mouth waters but mind holds me back due to excessive calories. :D

i worked in saudi arabia for a number of years, it's one of the more strict islamic countries. we were allowed to buy bacon and pork.

true, it was rationed so we could not buy enough that we'd have extra we could sell to the locals. the less religious locals did try to buy it. there was a good (legal) market  for artificial bacon and pork flavoured products like turkey bacon made with turkey. turkey ham & turkey pork roasts were also available.

moved back here to the UK and now the prissy old ladies (of all ages and sexes) of the 'politically correctness' police are offended by anything that is fun, immoral, fattening or tastes good. hard to find pork products in the stores or restaurants, they may offend someone. no xmas decorations or cards  allowed in businesses or govt. office. they may offend someone. (muslim,hebrew,hindu, sikh, buddist decorations for their holidays are OK tho.) noise pollution regs do not apply to mosques, whose call to prayer from dawn to dusk is usually power amplified to ridiculous levels. it might offend to have them restrict the decibels. you can be arrested for telling a minority that you do not like their cultural practices. doesn't work the other way around tho. christians can be offended without recourse, because is they have their human rights entitlement. we don't however.

when i worked in saudi, we all knew what the local rules were. they knew we were breaking some of them at home & they let us. we knew how they expected us to behave in their public places, and we did. we did not try any nonsense about telling them the prayer call offended us, or that we were offended by their ramadan eid cards. is it too much to expect them to abide by our customs and rules of polite behavior when they live in our countries?

^ On the few occasions where I've spent more than a couple of weeks in another country, I've always made it a point to make sure I'm not doing anything against local laws & customs in public places.  That included, when I lived in Florida for 6 months back in the 80's, letting my neighbours drag me to their local church because, well, everyone went to church!

I didn't kick up a fuss, and I saw no point in telling them I was an atheist.  It cost me nothing to sing a couple of songs, and it made my friends there happy.  They just wanted to include me in their community, and that was nice. :)

• Like 2

People are still assuming that all Muslims living in non-Islamic countries are immigrants, statements like 'she should move back to her country' are really dumb.  She lives in America so all of you are immigrants, if you don't like the choices people make there then why don't you pack up and return to your originating country. 

Is it me or that video looks setup, a fast food chain run by Muslims that do not serve bacons and calls him a bitch.  Also perfect timing when the video started to record I wonder what really happened in the beginning.

Not sure what part is setup, camera women doesn't say anything the guy behind the counter just say 'Don't record me bitch" and a few other insults and goes completely nuts.

Also right at the start of the video the other guy behind the counter says "he didn't know it's alright, we don't have bacon" cause it looked like they asked the guy who went nuts beforehand but maybe he didn't relay that message properly?

I don't think people go into a store with the camera out waiting for something like this to happen, it happened and they took out the camera mid-way through.

Not sure what part is setup, camera women doesn't say anything the guy behind the counter just say 'Don't record me bitch" and a few other insults and goes completely nuts.

Also right at the start of the video the other guy behind the counter says "he didn't know it's alright, we don't have bacon" cause it looked like they asked the guy who went nuts beforehand but maybe he didn't relay that message properly?

I don't think people go into a store with the camera out waiting for something like this to happen, it happened and they took out the camera mid-way through.

Pay attention closely to the video she asks for bacon but after that she said something else that already ###### him off and that was not enough while the manager trying to calm the situation down she starts recording and calls him a BITCH, there are many reports what really happened even one from Subway saying how the customer was the one who was harassing the employee but they had no choice to suspend him which is sad because Subway is trying to cover there asses.

It really does not make sense when you know this Subway is part of the Muslim fast food chain, you have to be really stupid or uneducated to not know that they would never carry bacon.

Feel free to call them what you like, doesn't make you right. The restaurant owner didn't cave in or run scared its pure business, they know more Muslims will eat there than the bacon serving establishment down the road.

So, they stopped selling bacon altogether or just took the sign down? I thought they just took the sign down. 

I think they took the sign down to simply keep from stirring up more ###### than is necessary. Not caving just trying to stay benign and not lose any business or gain any negative connotations to their brand.

So, they stopped selling bacon altogether or just took the sign down? I thought they just took the sign down. 

I think they took the sign down to simply keep from stirring up more ###### than is necessary. Not caving just trying to stay benign and not lose any business or gain any negative connotations to their brand.

The sign was placed around the neighbourhood not at the restaurant, good relations in the neighbourhood will gain more customers. 

The sign was placed around the neighbourhood not at the restaurant, good relations in the neighbourhood will gain more customers. 

Good relations? Is that what we are calling it now? What customers would they lose, exactly? Muslims customers that probably don't eat there anyway?

• Like 3

Pay attention closely to the video she asks for bacon but after that she said something else that already ###### him off and that was not enough while the manager trying to calm the situation down she starts recording and calls him a BITCH, there are many reports what really happened even one from Subway saying how the customer was the one who was harassing the employee but they had no choice to suspend him which is sad because Subway is trying to cover there asses.

It really does not make sense when you know this Subway is part of the Muslim fast food chain, you have to be really stupid or uneducated to not know that they would never carry bacon.

She doesn't say anything in the video, she never calls him a bitch. The muslim guy behind the counter who goes nuts is the one who calls her a bitch.

Its interesting that you have found many reports about how this happened and even one from Subway that says that the customer harassed their employee but they still had to suspend the employee to cover their asses considering this happened in a KFC fast food outlet rather than a Subway...

Not sure why you think Subway is part of the muslim fast food outlets, its actually from the US and so is KFC which is where the video actually took place. (Did you even watch the video?)

Wow! Some of the people here are really angry. Why so much hate? Yes, what the women did was not the best example of her religion, but I still respect the religion and their people. It is easy to get angry at the certain religion due to the activists. But the hate on this thread is: wow. I don't see why this makes everyone so angry. It's annoying, but no reason to attack people.

Good relations? Is that what we are calling it now? What customers would they lose, exactly? Muslims customers that probably don't eat there anyway?

You need to read the whole story from a better placed source than the one OP posted. The restaurant placed those ads in the woman's neighbourhood, if you read the reports and the Facebook pages there were more from her neighbourhood that objected to the placing of the ad, some of them were patrons of the restaurant.  You do the math. 

She doesn't say anything in the video, she never calls him a bitch. The muslim guy behind the counter who goes nuts is the one who calls her a bitch.

Its interesting that you have found many reports about how this happened and even one from Subway that says that the customer harassed their employee but they still had to suspend the employee to cover their asses considering this happened in a KFC fast food outlet rather than a Subway...

Not sure why you think Subway is part of the muslim fast food outlets, its actually from the US and so is KFC which is where the video actually took place. (Did you even watch the video?)

It is clear the customer did something other than order Bacon that made him shout what he did, would be interesting to see the before events.  Either way KFC took the customer is always right attitude and suspended the employee