What's that message at the top of the forums? We're upgrading

Agree with your points

also

Notifications will return soon. Yea that is something always added later. 

thank you :)

Also will there be something like similar to headlines view?

so all the news/info is compact instead of cozy?

The wasteage of space on site is really makaing the whole experience less joyful .

Always hated these pictures in the previous design and now I hate them more now that they almost look even bigger.

the list view it is a bit better but still.

Also in general everything feels way too big/in your face. Most people on this site are not blind. The font size needs to be reduced a lot.

Or at least allow the font size to be resized. :/

• Like 7

Would be nice if the fonts were not dark over dark background so people can actually read whatever tech news is posted.

Please post links if you see this.

The site ignores my browser's request to switch to the desktop site. This MUST be fixed, it's just broken functionality.

The mobile site lacks many features such as liking and editing comments.

Also apparently there's String(20) "Too many connections" string(20) "Too many connections" string(20) "Too many connections" string(18) "Connection refused" string(18) "Connection refused" string(18) "Connection refused" string(18) "Connection refused" string(18) "Connection refused".

The site ignores my browser's request to switch to the desktop site. This MUST be fixed, it's just broken functionality.

Also apparently there's String(20) "Too many connections" string(20) "Too many connections" string(20) "Too many connections" string(18) "Connection refused" string(18) "Connection refused" string(18) "Connection refused" string(18) "Connection refused" string(18) "Connection refused".

For the first point, that is probably because it is based on the available pixel space in the browser. I can bring the mobile site up on my desktop browser by just creating a small window out of it.

dy8lWRB.png

The others who mention that they want the header of the page to scroll down as you scroll are crazy. It would waste screen real estate. If need be, add an option to pin it in the "hamburger menu", I find it to be annoying personally. They tend to look glitchy when scrolling anyway.

There is no "Desktop" or "Mobile" site anymore, what you see is based on the size of the display you are using. If you open the website in your browser on a computer and make the browser smaller you will see the "mobile" template of the site rather than the desktop version shrunken down.

You're right, in landscape mode it pops to the desktop version, but then in landscape mode you can't get very much on the screen. I'd still prefer a manual option here. Thanks for your fast response.

"Mobile" or condensed version also doesn't show # of comments on story.

Adverts on top of the page in condensed version are often cut off.

You're right, in landscape mode it pops to the desktop version, but then in landscape mode you can't get very much on the screen. I'd still prefer a manual option here. Thanks for your fast response.

"Mobile" or condensed version also doesn't show # of comments on story.

Adverts on top of the page in condensed version are often cut off.

You are right, this is feedback we can use. In Landscape comment numbers could show. Will report this to our dev.

I unfollowed all the other topics because more than half made comments about features that are still there.

The others who mention that they want the header of the page to scroll down as you scroll are crazy. It would waste screen real estate. If need be, add an option to pin it in the "hamburger menu", I find it to be annoying personally. They tend to look glitchy when scrolling anyway.

Maybe an option to make it only appear when you go over the top with your mouse and not when you scroll up.

• Like 2

While Neowin sorely needed a facelift and this goes a long way of achieving that, I just couldn't help but to think I've seen it all before. Unoriginal, bland and way too touch-centric, and a few pages back a user linked a lot of other [tech] sites with the similar uninspiring design. Though I hope there's now a good foundation to build a more unique look - one that again makes you think Neowin and not "which site am I on again?" At least the favicon is still there.  :rofl:  

Few thing I've noticed:

• The text is very jagged in Chrome (Windows), similar to the Firefox issue reported in this thread. Web fonts are used, I presume? No problems in IE.
  • There's no alt text for the new like/quote/reply icons in a comment on an article. "Report This Comment" is working, though.
  • The "Reviews" drop-down from the menu displays the same content as "News" does, sans left-hand side tags and categories.
  • When the menu bar is hidden, traveling north in the browser to the tab bar/address field with the mouse makes the menu bar animate slightly. A (longer?) hover delay ought to be implemented to avoid this. And to expand on this I think the menu bar should 'stick' for a short period after the mouse has left its area, to help prevent accidental travel outside of the menu bar.

Keep up the good work!  (Y)

Today we are rolling out a new responsive design for the main page of Neowin news.

Once the prerequisites are done, the main page will be offline until it is completed. We've taken into account all the feedback over the past couple of years, and the design has actually been almost a year in the making. It will now be fully responsive, with larger fonts and darkside is back.. there's even an "Auto mode" that changes the default theme to darkside on sunset. While we know it won't be perfect and there will most likely be bugs from the offset, we've had the test site open to staff and subscribers for the last month (and two weeks for subs) for feedback and based on that feedback we feel we're on the right track.

A couple of points to make clear what is happening,

- Only main will be updated today, once we're happy that we don't have to make further changes and ensure it is bug free, the wrapper on the forums will also get updated.

- The "wrapper" is the header (navigation) and footer, the content area of the forums will remain as it is.

- The forums will not see any major update, IPB4 will happen this year, and that is when we'll look at the forum style again.

- We'll listen for bugs and feedback.

It took a moment to get used to, but I love the new design! It is very clean and hides the menus when they are not needed. Excellent design!

Can the top bar NOT auto-hide? It's SO annoying that whenever I start scrolling up this thing slides from the top and covers the content that I just revealed effectively FORCING me to scroll even more. Please make it stick.

• Like 2

Can the top bar NOT auto-hide? It's SO annoying that whenever I start scrolling up this thing slides from the top and covers the content that I just revealed effectively FORCING me to scroll even more. Please make it stick.

actually I'd like the opposite of what you ask

I'd like if the top bar would always stay collapsed/auto-hidden unless you're at the top of the page

You can use this snippet in a custom stylesheet to prevent the bar from sliding (well, just tested it in IE11 and nothing seems broken yet). If it doesn't work, don't ask for your money back. :p

[class="site-header nav-up"] {
	-ms-transform: none !important;
	-webkit-transform: none !important;
	transform: none !important;
}