Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

627 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

Social media stuff was moved under the article, and the only change on main was instead of those huge bars (which also only linked to facebook, twitter and g+) they are now permanent icons at the top of the page in the header nav/

I like the design but feel the images above 'Latest Stories' could be trimmed down in size a bit. Rounded avatars are a no-go for me on anything.

I also have noticed I do not get notifications on the news page, not sure if that is by design but it is definitely annoying. :(

I like it. I've been coming to this site since almost the beginning so it is nice to see something fresh and new. Even looks good on mobile.

Vertical lists for news worked better in my opinion. I especially don't see the point of a horizontal list unless more items get added to suit the width of the window.

The light grey sides could be slightly darker too to help contrast and focus the content of the page - although would be unnecessary if more content was added to suit the width.

To summarise ... I'd either list news vertically or make the design fluid to suit the width.

• Like 2

Looks a bit too grayish, generic to me. I don't know, but all the websites tend to look the same lately... everyone is following the same design patterns... it gets a little boring.

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of this trend of making gigantic featured images at the top of the page. Half my screen is taken up by the featured images.

My biggest complaint is the bigger fonts and all the whitespace.  Yeah it's "pretty" but it's not that functional.

On the front page, I can only see 4 stories listed. The thumbnail images are twice as big as they used to be.  Everything takes up more room.

Someone said the old site was "crowded"... but I like that.  I want as much information on my screen as I can get.

I prefer tight and compact... not spaced-out and padded.

• Like 3

I don't see the latest forum posts at the bottom of the mobile front page anymore - that's a big loss for me as it easily kept me in touch with what I'd missed. Don't like the big image at the top, all a bit bloated.

I kind of feel Neowin has lost its identity with the new front page design, the previous design / layout was quite distinctive, where as the new layout design looks like a lot of Wordpress blogs out there.

I'm not saying the design is bad, I just feel it's now a lot harder for Neowin to stand out from the crowd.

• Like 2

Why is there not an "All Stories" view?

I currently have to visit 10+ pages just to see all the news :|

I don't see the latest forum posts at the bottom of the mobile front page anymore - that's a big loss for me as it easily kept me in touch with what I'd missed. Don't like the big image at the top, all a bit bloated.

Thats a bug. Doesn't show for me either despite it being there for some devices (I'm on WP8.1 Lumia 925)

I do. Said that I am experiencing a weird issue: on my Tablets, desktop and Laptops the clicking on an article the page is shown as it is supposed to be but using my Lumia 920 the background of the article text is blue; the background of the comments instead, is white as expected. Furthermore when using the phone I do not see, along the article headline, the count of the comments.

My phone browser post-516063-0-61587100-1408913964.pngpost-516063-0-61587100-1408913964.pngis IE, OS is WP 8.1 with Cyan and Update 1, the browser is set to use desktop view.  

Just realised the comments are now "upside down" with the latest comment and the comments box at the top of the comments sections. Seems wrong to me as if comments follow on you have to scroll to the bottom and then read upwards.

• Like 3

Just realised the comments are now "upside down" with the latest comment and the comments box at the top of the comments sections. Seems wrong to me as if comments follow on you have to scroll to the bottom and then read upwards.

Choose "Sort by oldest first" from the right dropdown (just above the comments section).

I do. Said that I am experiencing a weird issue: on my Tablets, desktop and Laptops the clicking on an article the page is shown as it is supposed to be but using my Lumia 920 the background of the article text is blue; the background of the comments instead, is white as expected. Furthermore when using the phone I do not see, along the article headline, the count of the comments.

My phone browser attachicon.gifwp_ss_20140824_0001.pngattachicon.gifwp_ss_20140824_0001.pngis IE, OS is WP 8.1 with Cyan and Update 1, the browser is set to use desktop view.  

Any chance you have a banner at the top with clouds on it? I think that add is doing that. Cause there are no gradients heh.

Here what it looks like on the tablet:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

What browser/tablet? Need this type of info when you guys post bugs :P

What browser/tablet? Need this type of info when you guys post bugs :p

Sorry.. here you go:

iPad Air which is where the screenshot above is from. Viewed on Mercury

Samsung Tab 3 with Boat Browser HD...  No logo showing...  blank header showing only menu button at the right hand side.