Photo

Neowin New Theme : Review & Bug Report (August 2014)

bug request suggestion

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Robot Emas

Robot Emas

Ada Emas di Balik Batu

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 August 2014 - 21:17

NEOWIN NEW THEME : REVIEW (August 2014)

(Open spoiler to see screenshot images)
After using a little while and experimenting here and there, here is my short review and bug report :

What i really like:
+ Responsive, no need to build neowin apps. open in mobile is much cleaner, faster, and feels native like an apps
+ Flat Design, following the trend
+ Darkmode and Automode (really liked it!)
+ Big boxed featured post, and i really like the hover animation
+ Top menu bar autohide while scrolling down, and showing again while scrolling up (like a google apps)
+ Open Sans font
+ More post are shown
+ Ability to change theme, no more load
+ Rounded avatar!
+ embedded Gif support in comment section! (best feature)
+ Pop-up author profile!

Spoiler

What i think can be improved:
- The font is just feels too big

Spoiler

- The featured-boxed post only show 4 post
- So many things that have been changed and disappear,
- no more forum sub menu hover (like showing spy, mini spy, latest forum post etc (old theme love))

Spoiler

- Not showing a HOT! text in the hot post, just showing red colored comment count. For first timer, HOT! post is eye catching.
- For default theme, feels to many white, and by seeing for far away, doesn't look like a Neowin. the relaxed blue is gone.
- So many button, link, text, feels hidden because of the color and fade animation. Example : i didn't notice a like/quote button showing up when hovering a comment in post, and so many things feel hidden. maybe because of the font is too thin, and the color, and fade animation. no animation feels snappier and i can notice a change instantly. just look  "Want to make Windows 8 feel faster? Shut-off these animations" post, killing off animation feels snappier and faster.

BUG REPORT #1:
I don't know if this is a bug or its intended to be like this, but i can't click submenu in News header menu. For example, in the old theme, i'm always click the 'software' button to see all post about software, or 'editorial' button to see editorial only post. But now, its just hovering and show only latest post.

Spoiler

BUG REPORT #2:
This is really a bug. when clicking the picture/image in post, its open up a new tab rather than a pop-up gallery. But after i close the tab, previous tab finally showing the popup gallery slideshow.

Spoiler

BUG REPORT #3:
The post image is pixelated, looks like its the size/resolution doesn't support the new theme yet.

Spoiler

BUG REPORT #4:
In the search result, in the Darskide theme, the font color in header menu (showing news, forum, or comment) is false, unreadable. The page color too in the bottom.

Spoiler

BUG REPORT #5:
In about us page, the there is link colored text, and the read color is unreadable/uncomfortable to read.
Spoiler

BUG REPORT #6:
Review header image looks gorgeous in white theme, but not in darkside. Maybe you can change it by using some tag code or css, not using an image. Just a newbie opinion.

Spoiler

FEATURE REQUEST #1:
- New post notification
- New theme in forum (of course)

This is just my opinion, feel free to comment and critic! Feel free to add my point, add a bug report, or any opinion would be great!

#2 Gaara sama

Gaara sama

Neowinian

Posted 24 August 2014 - 21:26

Nice way better!! but this is very similar to  (techspot) i was wondering if this is techspot. web site.,

#3 OP Robot Emas

Robot Emas

Ada Emas di Balik Batu

Posted 24 August 2014 - 21:38

Nice way better!! but this is very similar to  (techspot) i was wondering if this is techspot. web site.,

Yeah i think so. Here is my comparison, Neowin compared to other tech site :

Winbeta.org

Spoiler

WPCentral

Spoiler

TechSpot

Spoiler

TechCrunch

Spoiler

TechnoBuffalo

Spoiler

Engadget

Spoiler

#4 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 24 August 2014 - 21:43

BUG REPORT #1:
Fixed

BUG REPORT #2:

This is due to old content

BUG REPORT #3:

BUG REPORT #4:

Fixed - Tab is supposed to have an active state, but can't fix that at the moment.

BUG REPORT #5:
Fixed

BUG REPORT #6:

#5 OP Robot Emas

Robot Emas

Ada Emas di Balik Batu

Posted 24 August 2014 - 21:49

BUG REPORT #1:
Fixed

BUG REPORT #2:

BUG REPORT #3:

BUG REPORT #4:

Fixed - Tab is supposed to have an active state, but can't fix that at the moment.

BUG REPORT #5:
Fixed

BUG REPORT #6:

Woooow thank you, super fast response!

Thank you for the hard work, really like the new theme overall, but could be better :)

This is exciting time for Neowin i think

#6 Sekyal

Sekyal

Neowinian

Posted 24 August 2014 - 22:26

It really shocked me with the change. It would have been better to prep visitors that changes were coming. I don't recall seeing any article mentioning this. I happened to see this thread on the right side, guess you don't really want feedback on it.

Anyway only thing I noticed that bothers me is all the text on the front page of each article is grey. It is impossible to read it against the dark blue background. This is what I got by default after signing in. So the main page just looks like pictures with titles and that's it.

neowinpg1_zpsd6ec36df.jpg

In the article the text is more readable but still not ideal. It is the blue background that makes the not fully black text easy to see.

neowinart1_zpsdba27726.jpg

I am using Chrome on Windows 8.1 (desktop version). It looks much better on IE and just as crappy in Firefox.

#7 Ned

Ned

Posted 24 August 2014 - 22:32

Yeah, i'm getting that too...

#8 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 24 August 2014 - 22:37

Those getting the blue background. Two things needed.

Is there an ad with Clouds on it.

If so, PLEASE get me the source of that ad if possible. 

#9 kazgor

kazgor

Neowinian

Posted 24 August 2014 - 22:41

Personally i just HATE this new design.. i mean like to thepoint i would now move this to the bottom of my list of sites i would go to on a daily basis. 

so BUG REPORT: the whole site is the bug... sorry. guess you can't please everyone

#10 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 24 August 2014 - 22:43

FEATURE REQUEST #1:

- New post notification

Yeah this is something that I request as well. If I am in the forums I can see how many notifications i have however, if i am on the news site i cannot see any notifications of any kind. its rather annoying as it used to be there and i relied on it rather heavily.

#11 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 August 2014 - 22:45

Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 6.36.06 PM.png

Hard to read fonts with the blue background / grey text. Black box at the bottoms seems odd 

#12 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 24 August 2014 - 22:47

Those getting the blue background. Two things needed.

Is there an ad with Clouds on it.

If so, PLEASE get me the source of that ad if possible.

http://ad5.netshelte...;ord=123456789? is the only ad url I see in the page source when the clouds are there.

Personally i just HATE this new design.. i mean like to thepoint i would now move this to the bottom of my list of sites i would go to on a daily basis. 

so BUG REPORT: the whole site is the bug... sorry. guess you can't please everyone

It would be helpful if you could actually provide some feedback. "Blah" isn't very specific.

#13 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 24 August 2014 - 22:48

Looks like you might need to clear your cache its not loading properly for you.

#14 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 24 August 2014 - 22:48

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-08-24 at 6.36.06 PM.png

Hard to read fonts with the blue background / grey text. Black box at the bottoms seems odd

The footer is supposed to be black/charcoal AFAIK. This might be related to the bad ad Timan was asking for.

#15 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 25 August 2014 - 21:23

Well if you guys want to know about bugs, in my case, the notification links lead to blank pages, whenever I click on "replied" from the top right notification list I don't get taken to the link in question but just to a blank page.   IE11 on Windows 8.1, also, and maybe because I'm just a mod and not staff, I can't post anything into the staff messenger, I hit enter but nothing happens.