Neowin New Theme : Review & Bug Report (August 2014)

As far as looks go the new theme looks nice, especially in darkside, however since beauty is always skindeep I have to make some suggestions based strictly on usability. There is too much wasted space everywhere (padding, line breaks, space between lines....) even if You decide on staying with large fonts and large news and that is something that should be more or less easy to fix. The other thing is that content delivery on new site is nowhere near as good as on the old site. On new site You could glimpse directly from front page into software, gaming....not with new site as it requires you to do two clicks for each section.

Please reconsider condensing the site. Thx.

I forgot to add that commenting and comments visibility do not work in Opera 12.17 (classic Opera), and Opera 12.17 starts using up to 25% of CPU (100% of 1st core on Quad Core) when I start scrolling the page. Neither of these are present on Opera 23.

I forgot to add that commenting and comments visibility do not work in Opera 12.17 (classic Opera), and Opera 12.17 starts using up to 25% of CPU (100% of 1st core on Quad Core) when I start scrolling the page. Neither of these are present on Opera 23.

no offense but that honestly is a non issue as Opera classic has a now obsolete engine that is no longer being updated to support new features/protocols

• Like 1

The new layout is terrible. Terrible.

1. Who the heck needs a big black box on top of the page??? Get rid of it!

2. It is easier to read from top to bottom than left top-right top-left center-right center etc.

3. BIG pictures. For what? I don't want to see shiny pictures, I want to READ about news.

4. The author name is more important than the headline?

In short: bring back the old design.

(By the way I always browse without JS: it is so much better: extreme speed, simple designs - I don't need any flashy layout to read news.)

Oh, and bring back neowin.net too, because in the last months/years this site has become a bashingmicrosoft.net.

The new layout is terrible. Terrible. 1. Who the heck needs a big black box on top of the page??? Get rid of it! 2. It is easier to read from top to bottom than left top-right top-left center-right center etc. 3. BIG pictures. For what? I don't want to see shiny pictures, I want to READ about news. 4. The author name is more important than the headline? In short: bring back the old design. (By the way I always browse without JS: it is so much better: extreme speed, simple designs - I don't need any flashy layout to read news.) Oh, and bring back neowin.net too, because in the last months/years this site has become a bashingmicrosoft.net.

Don't want to be mean but if you're going to critique the layout of a whole site, you could at least format your post properly.

But just to engage...

1. What big black box?
  2. I honestly have no idea what you mean
  3. IMO they are a little to big, yes, but they are quite obviously promos. Scroll down a few pixels and carry on reading
  4. What??? What are you talking about? The author name is 13px and the post title is 24px...

The new layout is terrible. Terrible. 1. Who the heck needs a big black box on top of the page??? Get rid of it! 2. It is easier to read from top to bottom than left top-right top-left center-right center etc. 3. BIG pictures. For what? I don't want to see shiny pictures, I want to READ about news. 4. The author name is more important than the headline? In short: bring back the old design. (By the way I always browse without JS: it is so much better: extreme speed, simple designs - I don't need any flashy layout to read news.) Oh, and bring back neowin.net too, because in the last months/years this site has become a bashingmicrosoft.net.

Screenshot your issue and report back because, as with MikeChipshop, I don't understand what some of the complaints are regarding.

Also, if you're talking about the layout of the articles, you can change it back to summary view as linked here:

post-17075-0-65885700-1408995334.png

(thanks to zhangm for the picture)

I'd really like the column setting to just have the smaller headline setting. As they are now, the article headlines are too big. I can only see three article headlines on a twenty seven inch monitor. I don't know why, but it bothers me that the comments section doesn't have borders around each of the comments. It seems irritating to look at.

Great.  Yet another website deciding that I'm some blind idiot who needs large fonts and pictures to waste away all the space on my 24" monitor.  Thanks a lot.  Can the pictures at top be any larger?  I'd like them to cover the entire screen when I first visit.  I mean, it's not like I'm coming to a tech news site to read articles or anything.  I just like to look at big large pretty pictures.  *drools on keyboard*

• Like 2

Those getting the blue background. Two things needed.

Is there an ad with Clouds on it.

If so, PLEASE get me the source of that ad if possible.

There is an ad with clouds. Can't get shot til later.

yea, I don't care for this new layout. It just seems too.. clunky & fat.

Also the auto-hide bar, I mean I can see why this is super useful , but "auto" web stuff annoys me to no end!! I'd rather just scroll back to the top.

if im in the forums and get a notification about someone having replied to a comment of mine (these in the front page news section) and i click on it, i get this ugly thing:

P1VUMzH.jpg

Came back from a week on holiday to the new design. First impressions: Love it!

Great refresh and still feels familiar.  I like the fact I can still choose to have the articles as a list as opposed to grid layout.  My personal preference.

I look forward to this being applied to the forums.

Notifications on main, fixing comment links in the forums and comment edits are next on the list to get sorted as well as links to profiles (from comments). Thanks for bearing with us! We've learned a lot from this upgrade :|

• Like 1