Photo

Do you browse the Neowin frontpage with your finger?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you browse the front page of Neowin with your finger?

Do you browse the desktop version of the front page of Neowin with your finger?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

I usually browse the front page of neowin with...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

When i'm on a touch screen device I use which version of the site

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,527 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 14:10

So I just loaded up the new Neowin front page on my Windows 8 Acer w500 tablet. The new front page works really really well on a small tablet. MUCH better than before. Everything is very easy to read. I just wish that could be the tablet / touch  version of the page and that desktop users could have the old one.

A member said that point 9 size font is a thing of the past, which is hard from him to read on his 1600x ...what ever resolution. monitor.

Well i've being using 1920 by 1200 since 2005... on one of the very first Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch monitor (That thing was $900 back then LOL WOW!)  I like being able to see more on the screen, on a desktop anyway, not so much a tablet.

Much like how you have a toggle for way the front page articles are displayed ... by grid or by a list. It would be neat if there was a toggle for touch vs non touch.

#17 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 26,527 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 14:26

Here is a mockup.

15042843342_57de819c58_b.jpg

#18 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,972 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 26 August 2014 - 14:43

So I just loaded up the new Neowin front page on my Windows 8 Acer w500 tablet. The new front page works really really well on a small tablet. MUCH better than before. Everything is very easy to read. I just wish that could be the tablet / touch  version of the page and that desktop users could have the old one.

A member said that point 9 size font is a thing of the past, which is hard from him to read on his 1600x ...what ever resolution. monitor.

Well i've being using 1920 by 1200 since 2005... on one of the very first Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch monitor (That thing was $900 back then LOL WOW!)  I like being able to see more on the screen, on a desktop anyway, not so much a tablet.

Much like how you have a toggle for way the front page articles are displayed ... by grid or by a list. It would be neat if there was a toggle for touch vs non touch.

Seriously mate, 9px text is a horrible horrible thing. It's extremely bad for usability and any real usability study will show that. Not everything has to be massive but 9px is a ludicrously small font size.

Just as an example, look at the codepen i just created, yes the fonts bad but you'll see the text really doesn;t become readable to well after 9px http://codepen.io/Mi...pshop/pen/Hxezf

#19 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,972 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 14:50

Dupe, oops. Please delete.

#20 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 26,527 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 14:52

Seriously mate, 9px text is a horrible horrible thing. It's extremely bad for usability and any real usability study will show that. Not everything has to be massive but 9px is a ludicrously small font size.

Just as an example, look at the codepen i just created, yes the fonts bad but you'll see the text really doesn;t become readable to well after 9px http://codepen.io/Mi...pshop/pen/Hxezf

Point taken.

Then how about what ever font size they used on the old front page. :)

#21 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,972 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 15:01

Point taken.

Then how about what ever font size they used on the old front page. :)

I always find 14px a good choice (well obviously the REM or EM equivalent). Browser default is 16 but that just seems to large.