Jimquisition: Everything's Awful, But It's Not All That Bad

Was hoping he'd cover the Zoe Quinn story but guess we'll have to wait.

It annoys me that indies are always treated as fillers on consoles when really they can probably offer more value than a lot of the "AAA" games. But that's just my bias taste talking more than anything. It wouldn't work to sell indies on the same scale as retail like we know it.

But thankfully if we do have another crash, I won't be short of awesome stuff to play while we reboot the industry :P

It annoys me that indies are always treated as fillers on consoles when really they can probably offer more value than a lot of the "AAA" games. But that's just my bias taste talking more than anything. It wouldn't work to sell indies on the same scale as retail like we know it.

But thankfully if we do have another crash, I won't be short of awesome stuff to play while we reboot the industry :p

Indies are the new AA industry.

The games that were rife in the PS1/PS2/XB days where big developers didn't bloat their budgets and were happy to release a title that could sell 500k-1m.

As time has gone on everyone wants everything to be AAA. Unrealistic and yeah, will lead to a crash.

But thankfully if we do have another crash, I won't be short of awesome stuff to play while we reboot the industry :p

Ironically, the expansion of indie game coverage is due, in part, to the success of AAA titles. Also, as indie games get more popular, they will cease to be indie and become dreaded AAA :laugh: MS and Sony see indie titles as AAA content, why else would they devote so much pr time at almost every public event to that segment? Indie games now sit in the same store as AAA titles, no more segregation. Indie is the hot thing in the industry, so hot that even big developers are creating such games.

I do enjoy many indie games, but I also think its not properly defined and sometimes is given special treatment.

Indies are the new AA industry.

The games that were rife in the PS1/PS2/XB days where big developers didn't bloat their budgets and were happy to release a title that could sell 500k-1m.

As time has gone on everyone wants everything to be AAA. Unrealistic and yeah, will lead to a crash.

AA still sort of exists, but it's been merged with the AAA category. The last few years we have seen a return of them from (mostly) Japanese devs. Games like Binary Domain, Killer Is Dead, Lollopop Chainsaw, NeverDead, Anarchy Reigns etc.

The trouble is IMO because the "industry" has decided to group them as part of the AAA bracket but they can't never realistically compete with them. They still sometimes produce a hit or sleeper hit (Spec Ops is probably the best example in recent years).

As far as tradtional PS2/Xbox AA days, those are long gone sadly. I miss the quirky "B rate" games that didn't always take things seriously or try to be the next CoD. As you say though, indies are the new AA and hopefully some of them stick around long enough to see them revitalise the bracket closer to what we knew.

Ironically, the expansion of indie game coverage is due, in part, to the success of AAA titles. Also, as indie games get more popular, they will cease to be indie and become dreaded AAA :laugh: MS and Sony see indie titles as AAA content, why else would they devote so much pr time at almost every public event to that segment? Indie games now sit in the same store as AAA titles, no more segregation. Indie is the hot thing in the industry, so hot that even big developers are creating such games.

I do enjoy many indie games, but I also think its not properly defined and sometimes is given special treatment.

That's true, but you kind of have to hope that they always remember their roots because many of the modern indie stuidos wanted to be indie to get away from "overlord" publishers. I don't have a problem with them growing and enjoying their success.

And again true on MS/Sony treating them like AAA. Even when EA tried to pull that nonsense years ago with their indie label and the games weren't anything of the sort. Like you say, the definition can be really blurry and applied loosely to suit them when they want.

True indies will always be a thing, maybe not the studios we know today, but there's always going to be hobbyists that want to create and tinker.

That's true, but you kind of have to hope that they always remember their roots because many of the modern indie stuidos wanted to be indie to get away from "overlord" publishers. I don't have a problem with them growing and enjoying their success.

And again true on MS/Sony treating them like AAA. Even when EA tried to pull that nonsense years ago with their indie label and the games weren't anything of the sort. Like you say, the definition can be really blurry and applied loosely to suit them when they want.

True indies will always be a thing, maybe not the studios we know today, but there's always going to be hobbyists that want to create and tinker.

I do wonder if a new kind of AAA can come from the indie roots.

If traditional AAA is on the way out, surely something will replace it. There is clearly demand for big budget gaming. As much as you and I may love many indie titles, I kind of doubt that most gamers fall into the same boat.

Hotline Miami might be a fun game, but it won't sell hardware. I think the reason that these lower budget, smaller scale indie games are sometimes treated as filler is because they do not have the same depth and level of polish that most gamers now demand and expect. The constant console wars have lead to gamers demanding bigger and bigger games with each new console release. Even pc gamers demand it, although not to the same extent.

As to the definition of indie, is it only that the game is not being published by one of the 'big' publishers? Is it based on the size/scale of the game? Is it based on budget? Polish? Is Star Citizen still an indie game?

I would of continued to watch his stuff if he didn't have the SJW gun to his head.

He's really better off doing his own channel where he can speak his mind.

Im missing somthing here what is SJW? I am not up to speed whats going on

I would of continued to watch his stuff if he didn't have the SJW gun to his head.

He's really better off doing his own channel where he can speak his mind.

It's not SJWs in this case, it's the owner of The Escapist.

Most SJWs are putting as much distance between themselves and Quinn as possible, because she's been shown to be quite a toxic individual herself.

It's not SJWs in this case, it's the owner of The Escapist.

Most SJWs are putting as much distance between themselves and Quinn as possible, because she's been shown to be quite a toxic individual herself.

It's more like both.

I haven't kept track the in the last two days, but they were all over TotalBiscuit when he criticised Quinn for false DMCA claims or the TFYC when accepted funding from 4chan.

Social Justice Warriors are nasty pieces of work. Listen to some of this if you're curious of what they're up to:

Indie femenist ####storm the last week.

Edited by Andrew

It's more like both.

I haven't kept track the in the last two days, but they were all over TotalBiscuit when he criticised Quinn for false DMCA claims or the TFYC when accepted funding from 4chan.

Then you should keep track before responding then, because the way things have been stewing the SJWs are indeed distancing themselves from Quinn. She still has her indie clique and industry apologists but the regular SJWs are somewhat less than impressed at her record of abuse.

Then you should keep track before responding then, because the way things have been stewing the SJWs are indeed distancing themselves from Quinn. She still has her indie clique and industry apologists but the regular SJWs are somewhat less than impressed at her record of abuse.

Her Patreon hasn't suffered much, if at all.

Her Patreon hasn't suffered much, if at all.

Well duh, as I said she still has her clique of indies and industry types who're too busy flouncing around their ivory towers to find out what Quinn is really like. They're going to continue to fund her purely to keep up the appearance that they're somehow "open-minded bigotry-free progressives".

Example: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s644c0

Well duh, as I said she still has her clique of indies and industry types who're too busy flouncing around their ivory towers to find out what Quinn is really like. They're going to continue to fund her purely to keep up the appearance that they're somehow "open-minded bigotry-free progressives".

Example: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s644c0

Nice read, but meaningless in the grand scheme of things as publicly (read not anonymous) she's either silent or towing the party line out for fear for her financial security (understandable mind you). Anonymous former supporters taking a more balanced view of the situation is all well and good but it's not going to solve the problems that the whole thing brought to light.

Maybe you know some examples of feminists changing sides publicly on Zoe or some big "game journalists" acknowledging the issues on their end. Don't mean to impose on you, but I would appreciate a shortcut to such examples, if there are any, until I actually catch up with that huge topic on The Escapist.

Nice read, but meaningless in the grand scheme of things as publicly (read not anonymous) she's either silent or towing the party line out for fear for her financial security (understandable mind you). Anonymous former supporters taking a more balanced view of the situation is all well and good but it's not going to solve the problems that the whole thing brought to light.

Maybe you know some examples of feminists changing sides publicly on Zoe or some big "game journalists" acknowledging the issues on their end. Don't mean to impose on you, but I would appreciate a shortcut to such examples, if there are any, until I actually catch up with that huge topic on The Escapist.

Well no it's not meaningless because it's an example of the point I was making - that it's the industry types that are standing by her (for whatever reason) and the SJWs are distancing themselves. (as exampled by said link)

You won't find anyone in the industry that's "involved" and not otherwise "safe" criticise Zoe because of that powerful clique. Ironically in turn giving her power - which in SJW lingo is also known as privilege.