Photo

Anyone ever play a PS2 every now and then?

ps2 sony gaming

15 replies to this topic

#1 Star Wars

Star Wars

Team Spyral Programmer

Posted 25 August 2014 - 17:44

Sometimes I plug in my old Play Station 2 for old times sake. I used to play it allot.

I wondered if anyone else does this? So does ANYONE else do this from time to time?

Or do you only play PS2? I don't think very many people play a PS2 alone now days though.

#2 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 25 August 2014 - 17:50

I fire up the PS2 emulator every once in a while if that counts.  A few oldies still worth playing.  Haven't touched the PS1 emu in forever though, never mind the real thing somewhere in storage.

#3 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 25 August 2014 - 17:54

Most of the games I'd play on my PS2 were PS1 games.

I play these on my Vita now though. :p

#4 DoctorD

DoctorD

Neowinian

Posted 25 August 2014 - 18:04

We dusted off the old ps2 and played Guitar hero last weekend, good times.

#5 OP Star Wars

Star Wars

Team Spyral Programmer

Posted 25 August 2014 - 18:11

Yay, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who still plays it sometimes when you look at the gaming consoles people use today. :p

#6 Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

• Phone: Motorola Droid Mini

Posted 25 August 2014 - 20:07

I have the original PS3 (with upgraded HDD) that has backwards compatibility.  I throw in some PS2 games every once in a while and I'm hopeful that the rumors of an official PS1/2 emulator for the PS4 are true so I can play my PS2 games on my PS4 as well.  I got rid of my actual PS2 hardware a while ago. (Still have my memory cards though and the little PS2->PS3 memory card reader).

#7 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:16

I think Amazon still sells PS2s

#8 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:39

Yes, you can find new PS2 on sale on Amazon, $140 is the usual asking price or a whooping $250 for the silver edition.

What's harder to find is "new" games for the PS2.  Most are used, and if you find new, the price is out of control.

#9 Vandalsquad

Vandalsquad

Neowinian

Posted 26 August 2014 - 13:53

PS2 games are slightly starting to show their age a bit to much for me actualy taking away from the gameplay. I feel the simplier PS1 games look better, and consoles before that era which I still enjoy the hell out of. Dreamcast has the exact same issues.. And my saturn to. Been looking at picking up a smaller TV hoping the issue won't be as noticable 32? every TV I own >50"+  :pinch:

This problem doesn't effect all games granted, just seems to mainly effect the ones I never have a chance to play before now so I don't have my nostalgia goggles on.

#10 +Arron

Arron

Marvellous

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 26 August 2014 - 13:57

Still got my silver ps2, afraid I don't play it anymore.

#11 Earthworm_Jim

Earthworm_Jim

GROOVY_!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 August 2014 - 14:02

PS2 games are slightly starting to show their age a bit to much for me actualy taking away from the gameplay. I feel the simplier PS1 games look better, and consoles before that era which I still enjoy the hell out of. Dreamcast has the exact same issues.. And my saturn to. Been looking at picking up a smaller TV hoping the issue won't be as noticable 32? every TV I own >50"+  :pinch:

This problem doesn't effect all games granted, just seems to mainly effect the ones I never have a chance to play before now so I don't have my nostalgia goggles on.

yeah,  same here.   there was the stage where they all went to "amazing" graphics, which are laughable by todays standards.    but before that the graphics were more basic and more fitting, since they did not try so hard.

#12 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 26 August 2014 - 14:06

my ps2 sit son my shelf but i do fire up pcsx2 every once in a while, all my fav rpg's were on the ps2 and the snes so i go thru them everyone in a while

#13 citan

citan

Neowinian

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:33

Yeah I do, oh what great games does that console have - I have a most recent version of the slim one hooked up to a Sony Trinitron FD 21" TV - looks incredible for old games. Unfortunately pcsx2 seems to have stalled a bit - especially in the graphics emulation, most effects aren't emulated in hardware mode - software mode does work better, but that causes other issues to appear sometimes.

#14 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 27 August 2014 - 19:03

Yes.

On PS3: MGS2 Subsistence, FFX, Ridge Racer V.

I play more PSX games though than I do PS2.

#15 DeltaXray

DeltaXray

Neowinian

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:22

I don't play the older consoles anymore. But I do youtube the PS1 startup sound from time to time. Hands down best startup sound on any console. Heaps of nostalgia from the mid 90s.