Potentially failing Samsung HDD - Anyone got a copy of "ES-Tool"?

I have an (albeit) old Samsung Spinpoint F1 HDD (Model No HD103UJ) which is starting to fail; regular Windows warnings and occasionally need a disk-check on startup which often finds bad sectors. I have been trying to get hold of the diag. software for the drive but cannot for the life of me find a good download link. I bought the drive OEM so got no software etc with it. I can't find the software anywhere on the Samsung / Seagate sites and all the links I have found so far are broken.

Does anyone have a copy of the "ES-Tool" diag. app that they could share with me?

Thanks a lot

If Windows says it is going bad, I'd look at replacing that drive. You don't need some special program to tell you that. Buy a new drive, back old one up, trash it.

You can download ESTool *edited*. First backup all your data and copy it elsewhere so you have a copy before playing with the drive. If it is going bad, best thing to do is replace the drive with a new one.

*edit*

Scrap that link, they use a silly anti-hotlink script and you cant even download the file if you navigate to the link from their homepage

ESTool.zip 711 KB

• Like 1

as MindoverMaster mentioned -if Windows says its bad, its bad, period.  After all, it is windows the drive will be working with....

If you are thinking, some software will magically make it work longer, dont put anything of importance on it.

SpinRite is supposed to be a legendary utility for bringing drives back from the dead, it is a boot program & Ive seen it take an entire weekend to complete.

Even if you use SpinRite6.0 and it says all things are good.... why would you risk important data ?

If it were me -

HDDs are dirt cheap - replace and move on.

Seatools replaces ES-Config for Samsung physical HDD's:

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

It will generate an RMA code and brick your drive when it fails on the full test if you're starting to get smart errors (which is likely not what you want in your case).