Is a used iPhone 4 really worth $150?

My friend sold his (obviously jailbroken) appleTV 2 for $250 just a few weeks ago. Thats $150 more than it retailed for, and it only does 720p!

Amazon FireTV is rootable and significantly faster and was being sold brand new for $84. He pocketed like $160 and got a FireTV and couldn't be happier. Its amazing the stigma that Apple products carry.

Now, that's a story!

No it's not worth that much to that title question.

And there are many dumb people everywhere that they buy overpriced items without researching to make sure.

Yes, there are MANY dumb people that buy over priced crap! Like the saying goes, there's an a** built for every seat, when it comes to buying junk.

No, a used iphone 4s IS NOT worth $150!

My girlfriend sold her 4s for $175. She probably could have sold it for $200, but she wanted the sale.

Seeing as I bought my current phone, a Lumia 820, for $80, I think $175 was ripping the guy off.

I don't think it is worth it.  Low end Nokia smartphones will give you a far better experience.

Maybe Android, but I'm more interested in Windows Phone right now.

I was expecting a comment like this to show up...

'Low end Nokia smartphones will give you a far better experience.' I disagree: the iPhone 4 is still quite a capable phone all round, and runs iOS 7 really well.

Yes, a Lumia 500-series phone isn't that bad either, but it does have its limitations.

$150 is a good deal IMHO.

Even if I paid a lot for it out of the gate I don't think I could sell a phone for that much. I'd feel like I was raping them.

Not sure how much I would ever sell my iPad 2 for.

Seeing as the going rate seems to be about $150, I wouldn't feel bad if I sold an iPhone 4 for that price.

To avoid feeling guilty if/when you sell your iPad, just have no/$0.99 reserve. It will most likely go for quite a decent price and if some numpty pays far too much for it - well it's not your fault. 

I'm surprised they go for that much really.. 4S ok, but 4? How much could I get for my 5S then :D I have no interest on the 6 but hey, if I'll end up getting it almost free I could get on board with that :P

Also, I feel kinda bad selling my ipad 4 for 250 now, thanks guys :D

I was expecting a comment like this to show up...

'Low end Nokia smartphones will give you a far better experience.' I disagree: the iPhone 4 is still quite a capable phone all round, and runs iOS 7 really well.

Yes, a Lumia 500-series phone isn't that bad either, but it does have its limitations.

$150 is a good deal IMHO.

My step daughter upgraded from the iPhone 4 running iOS 7 to a Lumia 525 and she thought it was a pretty good upgrade. The iPhone 4 has been barely usable since iOS 7.

Don't get me wrong, that iPhone 4 has been a kick ass piece of gear. I bought it on release and it has been a solid device. But iOS 5+ has been a lag-fest on it. The phone was really optimized for iOS 4, but later versions of iOS have not been very good experiences. iOS 6 was better than iOS 5, in terms of performance, but iOS 7 was terrible. iOS 7.1 helped a little.

You'll get more done on a newer device (even if it is low end) than the iPhone 4. If you are fine with things being lag-tastic and just want an iPhone, then sure, go with the iPhone 4.

You can find a used iPhone 4 for about $100. 

I currently use one, and it's worth spending $150, but you can get a better price on one, or get a better phone for the same price. 

You do realize mass amounts of used iPhone 4's were sold recently right? There were some promotions going on where you could trade in an iPhone 4 for up to $250, so people would buy these for <$150 on CL or elsewhere and trade up to iPhone 6/6+. 

I personally don't think the phone is worth a whole lot as a daily driver in 2014, but for trading up, it's brilliant. 

You do realize mass amounts of used iPhone 4's were sold recently right? There were some promotions going on where you could trade in an iPhone 4 for up to $250, so people would buy these for <$150 on CL or elsewhere and trade up to iPhone 6/6+. 

I personally don't think the phone is worth a whole lot as a daily driver in 2014, but for trading up, it's brilliant. 

Good point. 

• 3 months later...