Deciding on a new smartphone

I got a new phone from Fido (Canada) on the 14th and I'm not really happy with the phone I got (HTC Desire 601), I stopped in and asked if I can exchange it for another phone today and I was told that yes I can.

Now the question is, which phone do I get?

I'm debating whether to get the Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy S5 or iPhone 5S. Either way I have to pay full price for the phone since I'm on prepaid. If I decide to go with the Nexus 5, then I'll just order it straight form Google since the 32GB model is cheaper than buying the 16GB model from a carrier here (400$ for 32GB from Google vs 500$ for 16GB from carriers), and if I order it from Google directly, it's unlocked, so I can use it with any carrier. If I decide to get the iPhone, then I'll just go buy it at the Apple store, unlocked as well. I can also buy the Galaxy S5 unlocked on Amazon, so that leaves the iPhone as the only phone I can buy unlocked locally. The Nexus 5 is the least expensive by far. The 32GB Nexus 5 is 400$ but it doesn't have expandable memory. The 16GB Galaxy S5 is 700$ but the storage can be expanded an additional 128GB via MicroSD card. The iPhone 5S comes in 16GB (719$), 32GB (819$) or 64GB (919$) and obviously doesn't have expandable memory, which makes it the most expensive choice by far, but it would be make syncing my iTunes playlists easier since I wouldn't have to use any 3rd party software to do so.

When I return the HTC phone to Fido, I'll be getting the 300$ I paid for it back, not sure if it's a credit or actual refund though. I need a better phone that I can actually use and that the battery doesn't drain to 25% when it's just sitting on my desk doing nothing for 2 hours. I've also never used the Samsung Touchwiz UI, so I don't know what to expect. I do like the stock Android UI though. It's too bad I can't order the Google edition of the Samsung phone from the Canadian Google Play Store.

Any body have any suggestions/ideas/advice?

What is important to you?

-battery life?

-camera?

nexus 5 is ok, but the screen is terrible in the summer if you wear polarized glasses!

camera is just bad.   nothing good about it.  though, most likely, the camera on the phone you had was bad too.

battery is not great either!  runs out FAST.

i would get the Sony Experia Z2.    waterproof and huge battery, with amazing camera and screen.  

i did not like the phone at first, but it is seriously winning on the specs. no one else has such larger battery, except galaxy note, but it is a phablet.

(even Z2 is almost a phablet, almost too big)

$699 directly from sony.

DO NOT pay full price for iPhone.  new one is around the corner! you will be able to get 5S discounted soon!

EDIT:      LG G2 is awesome!    not waterproof, but a GREAT PHONE.  though G3 is higher specs, most of them are useless to everyday consumer.  so G2 might be a great "deal" phone to try to get!

I'd wait for the Nexus 6. It should be out pretty soon. The Nexus 5 is awesome, but you'll be ###### if you get it now and it's obsolete in a month or so.

I second this

as far as your other 2 options

galaxy s5 just isn't worth it. samsung has just added too much bloat IMHO. a better option if you want a branded android phone would be the Sony Experia Z2 or even the Z1 is still a great device

an iPhone is an iPhone. there's not much to say about it. we all know it runs well and will be supported for awhile. it comes down to if you like iOS or android better. which is a decision only you can make

• Like 2

I'd wait for the Nexus 6. It should be out pretty soon. The Nexus 5 is awesome, but you'll be ###### if you get it now and it's obsolete in a month or so.

after using it for a few month, it is not awesome at all.    

screen is not the same quality as other phones (cannot see anything in my sunglasses, meanwhile iphone 5s, samsung g5, and htc one are perfectly visible!)

the body is super cheap (well, the phone IS CHEAP)  and kept unlocking itself in my pocket.  just not a solid build !!!   

died on my without warning on the most average day too!  only 5 minutes after i used it to call, and with a full charge.

Well I only have 30 days from the date of purchase to return the phone, so I want to make the purchase before it's too late. Battery life is very important, I very rarely use the camera on my phones. If I want to take good pictures, I just bust out my actual camera. I was looking at the Xperia Z2 as well, but it's exclusive to Bell here, although I could probably take a look at the Sony Store to see if I could purchase it unlocked from them. The LG G3 does look nice as well, I'll have to check around to see which carrier has it and how much it is to get it unlocked.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

screen is not the same quality as other phones (cannot see anything in my sunglasses, meanwhile iphone 5s, samsung g5, and htc one are perfectly visible!)

the body is super cheap (well, the phone IS CHEAP)  and kept unlocking itself in my pocket.  just not a solid build !!!   

died on my without warning on the most average day too!  only 5 minutes after i used it to call, and with a full charge.

Sounds like you had a lemon. I have no problems viewing it in the sun and I find the screen to be gorgeous. I use the Lux auto brightness app and it works perfectly.

The body IS plastic, but I think it feels really nice. It's soft and smooth, but it isn't slippery.

Battery life is better than iPhone for me. I can get through a day of moderate/heavy use with over 50% battery left. Mind you I'm using a custom ROM and kernel, but still. 

It sounds like you had a defective phone as it's almost universally praised as being one of the best Android phones on the market, at any price.

• Like 2

I could probably take a look at the Sony Store to see if I could purchase it unlocked from them. The LG G3 does look nice as well, I'll have to check around to see which carrier has it and how much it is to get it unlocked.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

you can get the Z2 unlocked. as Panacea said it's $699 unlocked directly from Sony smile.png

edit: here you go :) http://store.sony.ca/xperia-z2-zid31-Z2GENERIC//cat-31-catid-Android-Smartphone?vva_ColorCode=000000&_t=pfm%3Dcategory

you can get the Z2 unlocked. as Panacea said it's $699 unlocked directly from Sony smile.png

edit: here you go :) http://store.sony.ca/xperia-z2-zid31-Z2GENERIC//cat-31-catid-Android-Smartphone?vva_ColorCode=000000&_t=pfm%3Dcategory

I know, I checked, I want to see if the Sony Store at the mall I'll be going to to return the HTC has them unlocked in stock though, I don't want to wait too long before returning the HTC since I only have 30 days to return it and I have to have talked less than 30 minutes on it.

• Like 2

I've heard a lot of good things about the LG G3 if you want an Android phone, also the HTC One M8. If you want an iPhone I would wait until after September to see what the new model offers. Personally I would take a hard look at Nokia also.

Why only Android vs iPhone, why not at least look at Windows Phone?

I actually did consider Windows Phone initially, but I've never used one before except to configure Exchange and Lync at work for staff who picked a Windows Phone when it was offered to them. Since I plan on using this phone for a while, I decided to stick with either iOS or Android just because I'm way more familiar with them, and I have a good sum of money already invested in each app store and don't really feel like investing in an all new ecosystem, which is what I would have to do if I went with with a Windows Phone.

Have had zero of those issues with my Nexus 5 since I got it in January.  And I get far better battery life with it than I ever did on the Galaxy S3 it replaced.  N5 always lasts me all day without issue.

I don't understand how you can praise the LG G2 and bash the LG Nexus 5 at the same time when hardware-wise they are pretty much the same thing.

After having had the Nexus 7 (2012) and then the Nexus 10 and now the Nexus 5, I would never get a device that didn't come with the stock Android experience.  No excess bloat (I'm looking at you Samsung!) and always up to date.  And it was also great to buy a phone off contract and not spend a ludicrous amount of money to do so.

Why would he? It's essentially a dead platform.

I don't think it's a dead platform. If I would be able to try different models of Windows Phone to see what the options are, then I would have a better idea of what to expect if I made the switch permanent, plus I'd have an idea of what apps I can get on it and how they actually perform compared to similar apps on android and iOS.

I don't think it's a dead platform. If I would be able to try different models of Windows Phone to see what the options are, then I would have a better idea of what to expect if I made the switch permanent, plus I'd have an idea of what apps I can get on it and how they actually perform compared to similar apps on android and iOS.

Just go down to your local Rogers shop and ask them to try a few out then. Should give you an idea if you will like it. 

But really, 2.4% marketshare and falling:

f6c.jpg

Ended up picking up the Xperia Z2, both the phone and tablet, at the Sony Store, and a SmartWatch 2... and cases and screen protectors for both the phone and tablet. Loving all of them so far! Thank you to everybody for the assistance.