Girl, 9, kills Arizona shooting instructor with Uzi in accident

"The colonial experiment"

Your lack of logic astounds me!

It's not hard to follow, telling kids not to touch has been shown to be pointless, you either teach them about gun safety so if they do find your gun they wont kill themselves or you don't have them in the house, it's not hard now is it?

It's not hard to follow, telling kids not to touch has been shown to be pointless, you either teach them about gun safety so if they do find your gun they wont kill themselves or you don't have them in the house, it's not hard now is it?

You should teach yourself not to keep a loaded gun in the house. Separate ammunition from gun (preferably locked away), that's not hard now is it?

You should teach yourself not to keep a loaded gun in the house. Separate ammunition from gun (preferably locked away), that's not hard now is it?

And? that has what to do with what I'm saying? we're talking about how you educate your children regarding guns, teaching them the dangers vs teaching them how to handle them.

i see therapy in her future.

That being said i'm not quite sure why a 9 year old needs to be handling guns.

It's one of those things were you think... uh ...what did you think was going to happen when the 9 year old girl was going to pull the trigger, she was going to bad ass like an action hero? ... uh no that gun is going to kick her ass... and apparently yours too.

If you do start your kids out early say 9, try a small caliber or possibly a BB gun. Make sure they have the physical strength to handle the damn gun.

No.  You teach a CHILD not to handle a weapon.

Do we teach them how to consume alcohol, drive a car and and so on?

I have seen kids with more common sense around guns that a lot of adults I know.  There are also gun competitions for kids around that age as well.  This is nothing new/different.  You may not live in the USA where guns are not common place, but they are in the US and proper gun usage and knowledge about weapons is important even at a young age.

If you do start your kids out early say 9, try a small caliber or possibly a BB gun. Make sure they have the physical strength to handle the damn gun.

Yea, giving a kid an automatic weapon is never a good idea.  A lot of adults have trouble handling them.  Areas were hunting is popular, lots of kids learn to use and shoot rifles first.

And? that has what to do with what I'm saying? we're talking about how you educate your children regarding guns, teaching them the dangers vs teaching them how to handle them.

It's the first step in education, don't leave a loaded gun lying about in the house

• Like 1

It is VERY hard to follow if you preach gun safety, but do not safely secure a weapon.  Part of that is "Not giving it to a kid".  Keep up!

So we are selling kids assault weapons now..... :rolleyes:

prak-300-plastovy-1616.thumb_222x216.jpg

9yr olds weapon of choice rest of the world.

171-0611063233-uzi.jpg

9yr olds in americas choice of weapon....because a UZI sub machine gun is not as bad as a "assault rifle"....right /s

No reason why kids can't shoot guns. However an Uzi is a bit much....Try teaching them to shoot something most people will actually own and a 9 year old girl can handle. A .22 caliber pistol or rifle would have been a better choice.

Right... because the problem isn't that a 9 year old was handling a gun, it's just that she was handling the wrong kind of gun.

• Like 2

I have seen kids with more common sense around guns that a lot of adults I know.  There are also gun competitions for kids around that age as well.  This is nothing new/different.  You may not live in the USA where guns are not common place, but they are in the US and proper gun usage and knowledge about weapons is important even at a young age.

And these common place guns... That's working out alright for you?

9yr olds weapon of choice rest of the world.

9yr olds in americas choice of weapon....because a UZI sub machine gun is not as bad as a "assault rifle"....right /s

Your right...a sling shot cannot kill anyone...well, no wait....

And this is a case of an adult that wasnt very smart giving an automatic weapon to a kid.  Stop trying to make it out to be more than it is.  And I never said an uzi wasnt as bad as an assault rifle.  So try again. 

And these common place guns... That's working out alright for you?

Look, you can rag on Americans all you like, like posts that call Americans inbred all you want but I can go and look up any country out there and find things that people do not agree with or find stupid as well.  This is not an anti American thread.

There have also been many cases where kids shoot/kill intruders and save lives.

It is VERY hard to follow if you preach gun safety, but do not safely secure a weapon.  Part of that is "Not giving it to a kid".  Keep up!

Because part of gun safety is taking your kid to a gun safety class, rather than just hoping your kid never finds a way to get your gun.

all of my kids ranging from 7-13 years all know how to shoot and handle a gun properly. now my 2 youngest boys only shot .22 pistols and our .22 rifle. my girls 11-13 know how to shoot 9mm. there is nothing wrong with teaching kids how to properly handle a firearm. cause one day they might save my ass, your ass or thiers.

• Like 3

there is nothing wrong with teaching kids how to properly handle a firearm. cause one day they might save my ass, your ass or thiers.

Agreed.  And if you dont teach kids about guns, they may end up killing you, themselves, or someone else one day.  This was an unfortunate accident and I feel for the kid who killed the instructor.  She should not have been allowed to hold an automatic weapon like that.

all of my kids ranging from 7-13 years all know how to shoot and handle a gun properly. now my 2 youngest boys only shot .22 pistols and our .22 rifle. my girls 11-13 know how to shoot 9mm. there is nothing wrong with teaching kids how to properly handle a firearm. cause one day they might save my ass, your ass or thiers.

The issue is not about teaching kids how to handle a firearm but giving a 9 year old kid an Uzi to play with. As I previously stated, who the hell actually needs an Uzi?

Better still I might get myself a couple of Claymore's to protect my house, 'Kids don't step on the grass!'

• Like 1

Thread Cleaned

There is a thread for discussion on Gun Law, if you want to continue the never ending debate of this then please take it there, and above all whatever is being discussed between the two threads - keep it respectful.

Whether you agree or not, it is currently part of the American way of life, respect that and those who agree with it. Everyone has their own opinion and no one persons opinion is wrong no matter how strongly you disagree. please try to be more curteous to members of different cultures and their opinions and please consider that our American members may take what you have said very personally whether it was meant personally or not.

• Like 2

9 year old with uzi .... and this was intended to teach her what exactly ?

Hopefully it only taught her that her parents are idiots and the sooner she gets away from them the better.

There was always guns in my house growing up.  My father hunted, and there were handguns in their master bedroom closet and nightstand for safety.  Never once did I or my brother & sister ever think of messing with them.  We all grew up around them and knew they were not toys to be played with.

As such, there was never the slightest incident.  If my father had just come back from shooting, or hunting and was cleaning a gun, I would still ask before touching them, right up until I was old enough to move out.

When I got out of high school my parents sold their company, bought a new house with a panic room.  Inside was a safe room - with many guns.  When inside there, talking to my father I would still not touch anything unless I asked - for 2 reasons - they werent mine, and they weren't something to be played with - loaded or not.

I seriously never understood why kids would want to  "handle their dad's gun" and subsequently blow their friend's head off....

Regardless -- what f*ing idiot lets a 9-year old handle a fully automatic weapon ? 

Parents = Darwin Award 2014

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with teaching children to properly shoot a firearm.  With that being said, you don't start them out with an Uzi.  Here is how I started them.

1. Rifle that shoots stainless steel BBs.

2. 22 Rifle.

3. 9mm pistol with 0 rounds in the chamber.

4. 9mm pistol with 1 round in the chamber.

The children really enjoyed the range with BBs.  It wasn't as loud and they had fun. They also enjoyed the 22 Rifle as it was very easy to handle but was semi auto and able to be quickly fired again. I did have to re-teach them to aim between each shot as my first son only hit the target with about 3 out of the 10 rounds. The only reason I let them try the 9mm at ages 9 and 10 was so that they realized they were not ready for it.  No way would I have had multiple rounds in it when they couldn't handle it

• Like 2