Photo

[UK] Is this a fair amount of annual leave?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,209 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:00

I work full time (37.5 hour per week) and started in the first week of April, so my A/L runs from April to April.

They told me I get 27 days A/L (I thought legally it was 28 days but anyway).

They've also told me any bank holiday and any time the business is closed must be included.

There are 8 bank holidays between April 2014 and April 2015. This leaves me with 19 days A/L.

Then, we break up for Christmas on Friday 22nd December and come back on Monday 5th January. There are 7 closed business days (not including bank holidays, they were included in the 8 days above) during that period, so that leaves me with 12 days A/L.

Is 12 days A/L that I get to use personally normal, or is the company I work for being a bit unfair?

#2 Top Qat

Top Qat

Neowinian

• 327 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 3

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:06

That's terrible. In my experience A/L is on top of bank holidays.

#3 +WildWayz

WildWayz

The Moose God

• 306 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:07

I don't think there is a legal requirement for A/L - just guidelines. If a company chooses to close over Xmas, then that covers your leave.

For instance, I worked at a company that gave me 20 days leave + bank holidays, but over Xmas, it was closed from the 24th December until 3rd January, so we had to use that time as part of the 20 days leave.

My current employer gives us 20 days + bank holidays then after 5 years, it is 25 days + bank holidays.

#4 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,209 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:08

That's terrible. In my experience A/L is on top of bank holidays.

DirectGov states:

"Almost all workers are legally entitled to 5.6 weeks’ paid holiday per year (known as statutory leave entitlement or annual leave). An employer can include bank holidays as part of statutory annual leave."

#5 Tomo

Tomo

IT Engineer

• 881 posts
  • Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:10

https://www.gov.uk/h...hts/entitlement

Legal minimum is 28 days assuming you work 5 days a week (5*5.6) which can include the 8 bank holidays so that leaves 20 days left. You should present them with this and demand your extra day.

Disputes

Paid annual leave is a legal right that an employer must provide. If a worker thinks their right to leave and pay are not being met there are a number of ways to resolve the dispute.

#6 +WildWayz

WildWayz

The Moose God

• 306 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:11

Think that answers it then :)

What line of work are you in? At least you aren't in America where you don't get paid leave... when I was going to work for a USA company (but working remotely in the UK), they were shocked when I said it would be "20 days leave + bank holidays".

#7 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,209 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:12

Think that answers it then :)

What line of work are you in? At least you aren't in America where you don't get paid leave... when I was going to work for a USA company (but working remotely in the UK), they were shocked when I said it would be "20 days leave + bank holidays".

Just in an office for a company with 15-20 staff.

#8 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• 5,387 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:17

At least you aren't in America where you don't get paid leave... when I was going to work for a USA company (but working remotely in the UK), they were shocked when I said it would be "20 days leave + bank holidays".

That depends on the company you work for.  I work for a fortune 500 company and when I started here with 0 experience I was given 18 paid days off (plus any Federal holidays that the company closed for, which was usually 6-8 days per year).  After working for the company I now get 25 days and will earn an extra day each year I stay.  

But yes, there are plenty of companies that do not (or cannot afford) to pay for employees to take a vacation.

#9 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

• 9,726 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:21

Nothing legally with regards to 28, I have seen jobs with advertised as 25. I get much more than that but I am not gloating  :shiftyninja:

#10 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,289 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:22

That depends on the company you work for.  I work for a fortune 500 company and when I started here with 0 experience I was given 18 paid days off (plus any Federal holidays that the company closed for, which was usually 6-8 days per year).  After working for the company I now get 25 days and will earn an extra day each year I stay.  

But yes, there are plenty of companies that do not (or cannot afford) to pay for employees to take a vacation.

Was gonna say, never worked at a place that didn't give vacation + holidays, current employer, another fortune 500 company gave me 27 to start with another week after 5, +legal holidays, all paid, I'm in the middle of my second full week off and I started officially as a full timer in November, which is pretty darn good, only place with better so far was the Army and 30 days off + holidays and training holidays 

#11 Tomo

Tomo

IT Engineer

• 881 posts
  • Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:23

Just to add

When leave can and can’t be taken

Employers can:

• tell their staff to take leave, eg bank holidays or Christmas
  • restrict when leave can be taken, eg at certain busy periods

There may be rules about this in the employment contract or it may be what normally happens in the workplace. The notice period for this is at least twice as long as the leave they want their staff to take.

Nothing legally with regards to 28, I have seen jobs with advertised as 25. I get much more than that but I am not gloating  :shiftyninja:

Well apart from this sentence on the Government website

Almost all workers are legally entitled to 5.6 weeks’ paid holiday per year (known as statutory leave entitlement or annual leave).

and this

Most workers who work a 5-day week must receive 28 days’ paid annual leave per year. This is calculated by multiplying a normal week (5 days) by the annual entitlement of 5.6 weeks.

#12 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,209 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:25

Nothing legally with regards to 28, I have seen jobs with advertised as 25. <snip>

Yeah, as Tomo said above, that's not correct.

#13 mps69

mps69

Neowinian

• 827 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:27

when you put in black and white, 12 personal days doesn't seem that much, however over all that's just about 2 and half weeks you could take at any one time, tag that with a bank holiday and it gets extended even more.

I have to say the amount you have been given isn't great, but if you want a job and earn money you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Do they give you the chance to buy extra days, via overtime, or even long term employees get more added every few years.?

I'm very lucky I get 35 days annual leave, plus 3 statutory holidays at Christmas/New Year. It's one of the nice perks for working for the same company for 22 years.

#14 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 3,430 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:31

when I started at the company I work for I was given 23 days in which 3 days over Christmas had to come out of my allowence. After various things it's now 25 but the 3 days of Christmas still get deducted.

The bank holiday side of things seems a bit sketchy but I honestly don't know the tue answer, have you maybe thought of contacting someone like Citizens Advice Bureau? They might be able to give you some guidance on entitlement.

#15 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,289 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:32

when you put in black and white, 12 personal days doesn't seem that much, however over all that's just about 2 and half weeks you could take at any one time, tag that with a bank holiday and it gets extended even more.

I have to say the amount you have been given isn't great, but if you want a job and earn money you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Do they give you the chance to buy extra days, via overtime, or even long term employees get more added every few years.?

I'm very lucky I get 35 days annual leave, plus 3 statutory holidays at Christmas/New Year. It's one of the nice perks for working for the same company for 22 years.

For contrast, most jobs here in the US do give 2 weeks vacation plus Holidays, anything in manufacturing and you have to use some of that time for the Christmas "break" so it's fairly close, relatively speaking, also manufacturing gets less official holidays off than most other jobs