• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#1 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• 2,848 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 27 August 2014 - 22:40

So I'm not really a fan of the new Neowin website. I feel like there is a lot of design work that needs to be fix and improve. Lucky for me I do design website for a living(partly). I'm not done with the home page yet but I'm going to give you some screenshots until I'm finish and show all the pages.

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 6.37.34 PM.png

#2 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,385 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 22:43

No thanks, it's a mess - it's genuinely awkward to even look at.

#3 nosense

nosense

Neowinian

• 307 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 22:50

The concept Look's worse, the new layout is fine. It's not like they bought a WP theme and called it a day...

#4 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 5,168 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 27 August 2014 - 22:52

Just my opinion, but not a fan of trying to read something sideways. Probably not the only one who'd just scroll past it as a guess.. it's supposed to draw your eyes right to it as a focal point, and being hard to read negates that. Probably worse on a tablet, turn your tablet sideways to try and read it and then the thing keeps re-adjusting itself.. get in an endless loop of spinny-tablet-syndrome.

#5 ians18

ians18

Where Unprofessional Commenting Looks Better.

• 1,656 posts
  • OS: Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9901, Windows 8.1 August update, OSX Yoesmite
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 521 on T-mo w/ WP 8.1 Update (Dev) & "Lumia Cyan" Firmware

Posted 27 August 2014 - 22:55

Your concept has too many distinct bars and lines. Ugly and unnecessary boxes surrounding the comments and author. Sorry.  

#6 Grinch

Grinch

Developer

• 1,677 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 27 August 2014 - 22:56

Not a fan of that design. It feels rather inconsistent. I rather like the current one with a few exceptions.

#7 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,644 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 23:02

Categories bar seems out of place.  And kind of a pain to read the text sideways.

#8 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,936 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 23:04

I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan. I prefer the official design by quite a margin.

#9 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,983 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 23:10

Yeah sorry, it's way to big - worse than the current design (which is bad enough).

#10 OP ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• 2,848 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 23:20

Yea.i know what you mean by the sideways text. Didn't like when I put it in place but its not a finish design. The blue part is going to work really cool when I'm finish. It's not just eye candy.

#11 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 10,249 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 23:25

tumblr_lwn7hvQ1EG1qdlkgg.gif

#12 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,385 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 23:47

So if you knew it doesn't work, why demo it?

Look man, your sig says that you are a graphic designer, and the pics on your portfolio look classy.  There's this huge disparity here between a graphic designer and someone who want's to be a graphic designer - which makes me wonder about who created all the design shown on your portfolio. You know?  What I'm saying is that by demonstrating this mess (and it IS a mess, it breaks so many design guidelines that it hurts) you seem to have undermined yourself.

#13 nosense

nosense

Neowinian

• 307 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 00:08

So if you knew it doesn't work, why demo it?

Look man, your sig says that you are a graphic designer, and the pics on your portfolio look classy.  There's this huge disparity here between a graphic designer and someone who want's to be a graphic designer - which makes me wonder about who created all the design shown on your portfolio. You know?  What I'm saying is that by demonstrating this mess (and it IS a mess, it breaks so many design guidelines that it hurts) you seem to have undermined yourself.

That's the problem with web designers\graphics designers these days. All they do is install CMS (drupal\joomla\wordpress), buy a design from themeforest for 50 bucks and charge couple hundred for adding content to an unoriginal design. I have no problem with CMS made websites, but at least you can make your own theme. 

#14 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,544 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6+, iOS 8.1

Posted 28 August 2014 - 00:35

One thing I do like about that was the red comments. Makes it much easier to see then the light grey which Neowin currently has. Other then that, sorry, but pass.

#15 OP ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• 2,848 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:36

That's the problem with web designers\graphics designers these days. All they do is install CMS (drupal\joomla\wordpress), buy a design from themeforest for 50 bucks and charge couple hundred for adding content to an unoriginal design. I have no problem with CMS made websites, but at least you can make your own theme.

My website is a template.i have no to create from scratch.it would take at least a month todo. All my web work on my portfolio site are from me. Just saying