My concept for the Neowin with Flat design

Yea.i know what you mean by the sideways text. Didn't like when I put it in place but its not a finish design. The blue part is going to work really cool when I'm finish. It's not just eye candy.

Do you reckon that the designer of the new homepage might say the same thing?

So we have to snap our necks or flip our monitors on their side just to read the top vertical links? :rofl:

sorry bud, not a fan. The new design is good if you don't like it create a userstyle and mod away.

That's the problem with web designers\graphics designers these days. All they do is install CMS (drupal\joomla\wordpress), buy a design from themeforest for 50 bucks and charge couple hundred for adding content to an unoriginal design. I have no problem with CMS made websites, but at least you can make your own theme. 

Ummm no. That's the issue with a small part of the industry, the small non professional part. Don't talk like it's 100% of designers/developers because that's a load of tosh.

As for the concept posted by OP, no sorry, don;t mean to be harsh but it is horrible, the usability hasnlt even begun to be thought about and you should stop there and not waste your time continuing.

If I were you, I would remove the original post, and only post it when your mockup desing looks like you want it to look at the final.   As it is it looks pretty bad. 

Much worse then current site (where my main issue was the SIZE of everything, and lack of color coordination).  In you mock up, there are way more issues, that makes it hard to use.

Ummm no. That's the issue with a small part of the industry, the small non professional part. Don't talk like it's 100% of designers/developers because that's a load of tosh.

As for the concept posted by OP, no sorry, don;t mean to be harsh but it is horrible, the usability hasnlt even begun to be thought about and you should stop there and not waste your time continuing.

Stop putting words into my mouth, I never said 100% or even insinuated that it's even a large part of the industry.  

Stop putting words into my mouth, I never said 100% or even insinuated that it's even a large part of the industry.

Apologies if i misunderstood you, however i was hardly putting words in your mouth, and i quote...

That's the problem with web designers\graphics designers these days. All they do is install CMS (drupal\joomla\wordpress), buy a design from themeforest for 50 bucks and charge couple hundred for adding content to an unoriginal design.

I think you can see where i got my misunderstanding.

ActionPack seems to be the type he is referring to.

Sorry but he has preached on here about design and so on, but has put this crap together - and I personally believe not created half of what he showcases on his site.

• Like 1

ActionPack seems to be the type he is referring to.

Sorry but he has preached on here about design and so on, but has put this crap together - and I personally believe not created half of what he showcases on his site.

Ah! Indeed sir, i just replied to you in another thread with regards to this.

• Like 1

My website is a template.i have no to create from scratch.it would take at least a month todo. All my web work on my portfolio site are from me. Just saying

A month?

It takes our designers a couple days max, and that is because they have 23213213 other projects they are working on at the same time.

That's the problem with some web designers\graphics designers these days. All they do is install CMS (drupal\joomla\wordpress), buy a design from themeforest for 50 bucks and charge couple hundred for adding content to an unoriginal design. I have no problem with CMS made websites, but at least you can make your own theme. 

FTFY.

We build sites witha  CMS backend, but there is no theme, no boiler plate, and we build our own custom templates and modules.  We do everything ourselves.  The CMS is only there so that clients can manage the content themselves without relying on us to do it for them after we finish their project.  It saves them money.

• Like 1

A month?

It takes our designers a couple days max, and that is because they have 23213213 other projects they are working on at the same time.

I'm sorry but if they're knocking out designs in a couple of days whilst having other projects on the go, they're either super human or their not putting the correct amount of bespoke work in to each design that's necessary.

They shouldn't even have mock ups in the first week. They should still be in the client meeting / questionnaire phase.

I'm sure you know what you're doing but a bespoke design in a couple of days? I doubt it, and if it's true, then i'd like to know your secret so i can pass it on.

I'm sorry but if they're knocking out designs in a couple of days whilst having other projects on the go, they're either super human or their not putting the correct amount of bespoke work in to each design that's necessary.

They shouldn't even have mock ups in the first week. They should still be in the client meeting / questionnaire phase.

Where did you get that there nothing more to the process?  i certainly didn't say that.

I am only speaking of just the mockup.  A mockup isn't the real thing, it is a graphical representation.

There are many parts to the process.

A said a couple days for mockups.

Not a finished site, or even a built one.

Not even a final mockup.  They will go through several revisions until the client is happy.

Where did you get that there nothing more to the process?  i certainly didn't say that.

Right about here...

It takes our designers a couple days max

As any good designer, ActionPacked should treat his own project as if it were a client project so he's quite right in saying a month, as you've just pointed out yourself.

Of course this is before all the self critical BS that ALWAYS follows :p

Right about here...

As any good designer, ActionPacked should treat his own project as if it were a client project so he's quite right in saying a month, as you've just pointed out yourself.

Of course this is before all the self critical BS that ALWAYS follows :p

A couple days max for a mockup that isn't using a template.  It is implied that if you are at the mockup stage, you have already gone through the other required meetings and design requirements with the client.

This is about JUST time building the mockup.  Why you are reading more into this, I don't know. 

A month?

Of course...  that's why it's called templates..

Years ago, we built the sites by ourselves and took us awhile... such as days, weeks.. depends on how much programming you put into.

Now, you get the template and then change the way it looks as the way you like that suits you or your company.  That take you to do this in hours. That's simple.

My old house took 1 year to build with a few contractors...

Now new homes can be done between a month and 3 months depends which products you use with.

Some people aren't thinking right about those things that are related to others..

Everything in the past took a long awhile... such as cash registers in the past and now they use barcode scanners for quick checkout.

Now we have computers/machines to get the job done in the timely manner.

Of course...  that's why it's called templates..

Years ago, we built the sites by ourselves and took us awhile... such as days, weeks.. depends on how much programming you put into.

Now, you get the template and then change the way it looks as the way you like that suits you or your company.  That take you to do this in hours. That's simple.

My old house took 1 year to build with a few contractors...

Now new homes can be done between a month and 3 months depends which products you use with.

Some people aren't thinking right about those things that are related to others..

Everything in the past took a long awhile... such as cash registers in the past and now they use barcode scanners for quick checkout.

Now we have computers/machines to get the job done in the timely manner.

We don't use templates for mockups.

This is about JUST time building the mockup.  Why you are reading more into this, I don't know.

Because we weren't talking about "Just a mockup". Excuse me if you reply with something unrelated and then expect everyone else to understand.

Personally i think you need a bigger spade.

Because we weren't talking about "Just a mockup". Excuse me if you reply with something unrelated and then expect everyone else to understand.

Personally i think you need a bigger spade.

Uh, I don't care what you were talking about.  I replied to ActionPACK.

I've got to say that I absolutly hate those big banners on top of sites these days. Mobile Nations ruined all their sites with it, WinBeta did so too, and a week ago Neowin did. They are just pointless, people have readed those stories long ago, they don't care anymore about them. I would like them to be optional for that reason. For the rest of your concept, I'm gonna say no.

Why is the contrast a slash on the navbar? Does that serve any purpose?

And why are you grouping the social icons with the profile? Those serve as a feed for Neowin news, it doesn't make sense to group it in the user settings. It just looks cluttered.

Never. Put. Sideways. Text. Ever.

The blue bar you put between the featured news and the recent news is one of the awkwardest things I've ever seen. Why would you group two completely different things, forum activity, and categories, which are not even changing the same group.

The article information had nothing wrong with it, why did you change it?

Your design is too cluttered, and if you've studied design, you would learn that your design attracts too much attention to everything! It's an ADD's worst nightmare.

Can we all just agree that this "concept" is worse than the generic free Wordpress theme I use on my site? but then again I don't claim to be a designer or have money to spend on good stuff, yet 

Can we all just agree that this "concept" is worse than the generic free Wordpress theme I use on my site? but then again I don't claim to be a designer or have money to spend on good stuff, yet 

Yes.  I am not a designer either, but as a consumer I would never go to a site that looked like this past the first time.

Why is the contrast a slash on the navbar? Does that serve any purpose?

And why are you grouping the social icons with the profile? Those serve as a feed for Neowin news, it doesn't make sense to group it in the user settings. It just looks cluttered.

Never. Put. Sideways. Text. Ever.

The blue bar you put between the featured news and the recent news is one of the awkwardest things I've ever seen. Why would you group two completely different things, forum activity, and categories, which are not even changing the same group.

The article information had nothing wrong with it, why did you change it?

Your design is too cluttered, and if you've studied design, you would learn that your design attracts too much information to everything! It's an ADD's worst nightmare.

Indeed.  I couldn't find myself able to focus on anything.  That = a site I would never visit again.

Uh, I don't care what you were talking about.  I replied to ActionPACK.

Incorrectly, yes.

If you're going to join in with a thread, it pays to read the thread first.