My concept for the Neowin with Flat design

So I'm not really a fan of the new Neowin website. I feel like there is a lot of design work that needs to be fix and improve. Lucky for me I do design website for a living(partly). I'm not done with the home page yet but I'm going to give you some screenshots until I'm finish and show all the pages.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-08-27 at 6.37.34 PM.png

What graphic design school told you vertical text was a good idea for visual design and readability on a news site ? 

We don't use templates for mockups.

That's fine... whatever you say...  We know that everyone take the template/software and change the colors and styles... 

Who cares...

I don't give a fuk about how the sites look...  as long as the sites are working.. that's simple.

Take a look at Neowin... they use IPB forum here... and they modified some things and looks like they did on their own..

Think about it... 

We all do NOT care what you use with... 

Go outside and look around... most of things are similar...  similar cars, houses, etc..   

To me, it's the humans who are crybaby... like "ooh company B copied from company A"..   If it was me, I don't care as long as the device is working for me.

I have seen complaints on the phones/tablets .... and  zero complaints about the houses/cars/etc.  

Not making sense to me...

NO ONE IS ORIGINAL THESE DAYS.

• Like 2

Can we all just agree that this "concept" is worse than the generic free Wordpress theme I use on my site? but then again I don't claim to be a designer or have money to spend on good stuff, yet

Well, not sure about your site (haven't looked) but you're correct, if you're not a designer and only have minimal budget, then i don't see anything wrong template usage, at first.

ActionPacked, as you're selling your services as a designer, then it's time to think about getting your site up to scratch. Instead of sitting designing concept art for a Neowin front page, get some concepts for your site up. Post them in the forum and see what others think and take some constructive criticism on board.

Incorrectly, yes.

If you're going to join in with a thread, it pays to read the thread first.

You knew full well I was discussing a mockup within the first couple replies, so if it took you until now to actually call me out on incorrectly reading a thread (and I apologize, I did), then you were just looking to fight.

Well, not sure about your site (haven't looked) but you're correct, if you're not a designer and only have minimal budget, then i don't see anything wrong template usage, at first.

ActionPacked, as you're selling your services as a designer, then it's time to think about getting your site up to scratch. Instead of sitting designing concept art for a Neowin front page, get some concepts for your site up. Post them in the forum and see what others think and take some constructive criticism on board.

Heh, here you go, http:z0ph.com

Should update it some day, but it works for now

Heh, here you go, http://z0ph.com

Sorry, but I dislike like that concept, it hurts my eyes. Rather members just leave it to the staff/devs in choosing how the website is designed. They have done a good job so far... (Y)

• Like 1

You knew full well I was discussing a mockup within the first couple replies, so if it took you until now to actually call me out on incorrectly reading a thread (and I apologize, I did), then you were just looking to fight.

ok look at the post you originally replied to. he said he didn't design his own site(arguably the most important side a web graphics designer ever makes) himself because it would take him a month to make the site/template.

you replied that it would take your guys a couple of days. 

he wasn't talking about mockups, that's something you said later after it was pointed out your claim was... rather unrealistic. 

• Like 1

ok look at the post you originally replied to. he said he didn't design his own site(arguably the most important side a web graphics designer ever makes) himself because it would take him a month to make the site/template.

you replied that it would take your guys a couple of days. 

he wasn't talking about mockups, that's something you said later after it was pointed out your claim was... rather unrealistic. 

Captain obvious, did you read where I said I read it incorrectly?  I mean, you replied to it and all so i would hope so.

I thought he was referring to mockups.  Nothing in my replies have stated otherwise.

Nope. I honestly didn;t think you were talking about mockups.

To be honest i thought you were having a major case of backtracks when i called you out on the "two day" thing.

If you genuinely were talking about mockups then i apologise and we'll leave it at that. Crossed wires and all that.

Heh, here you go, http:z0ph.com

You see, that's fine. You're not selling services that require you to build or design your own site. gotta post more though ;)

Nope. I honestly didn;t think you were talking about mockups.

To be honest i thought you were having a major case of backtracks when i called you out on the "two day" thing.

If you genuinely were talking about mockups then i apologise and we'll leave it at that. Crossed wires and all that.

You see, that's fine. You're not selling services that require you to build or design your own site. gotta post more though ;)

Sounds good.

I definitely wasn't backtracking.  In my mind I was like...a month for an original mockup? Holy hell.

Looking back, i should have paid better attention because when i reread it after you mentioned it, I was like...doh.

• Like 1

This thread really isn't going anywhere constructive, guys. All designers have a different point of view on designs as well as different ways to do things, this has just degenerated in to attacks.

<Thread closed>