Hodgson appoints Wayne Rooney as new England captain

Hodgson appoints Wayne Rooney as new England captain

Wayne Rooney is the new England captain, manager Roy Hodgson has confirmed.

The Manchester United skipper inherits the Three Lions armband from Steven Gerrard, who retired from England duty after the World Cup.

Rooney said: ?To be named as England captain is a dream come true for me personally and of course my family.

?It is something that I will take massive pride in doing.

?As a kid I always loved watching a big England game on the television. Back then I had a burning ambition to play for my country. To be appointed captain is beyond my wildest dreams.

?I would obviously like to thank Roy and the coaching staff for having the belief and confidence in me to do the job.?

Rooney has scored 40 international goals in 95 games after making his debut in 2003, against Australia.

His first assignment as the new skipper is a match against Norway at Wembley on Wednesday 3 September, followed by the opening Euro 2016 qualifier in Switzerland on Monday 8 September.

Rooney continued: ?I have played under some fantastic captains at both Manchester United and England and would hope that I have picked up some of their strongest qualities.

?I intend to speak with Steven about different aspects of the role. We had a great relationship from the moment we played together for our country and right up to our final game in Brazil. I am sure if ever I need to seek his advice he will be there to help.

?I would hope that I have the full backing of the fans, I am their type of player. My only thought is to win and give everything I have got, and that desire will be the way I want to captain the team.

?England fans have a massive role to play not just in helping me as the captain but the team as a whole.

?When our fans sing the national anthem and support us in such numbers around the world I can promise you it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

?I have always had a special feeling playing for England. I have always felt it is a huge honour and responsibility.

?I hope to pass that knowledge on with the help of the other senior players to any of the young or new caps that join us.

?I understand the honour and responsibility that comes with being the England captain. It is a privilege that mustn't be taken lightly."

Source: The FA