Spider bite anyone?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Izlude

Izlude

Oddy Tentacles

• 2,416 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:03

About 7 hours ago, I discovered a bite on my arm.  It could have happened today or yesterday.. I cannot know.  I think panic attack set in and now my arm feels all funny... so I don't know if it's the bite or the panic.  I'm hoping it's not a desert recluse (california high desert here).. oh yea i was lifting a few boxes in the garage too, a bit heavy, so maybe that caused the soreness?

If it was about 7 hours ago, would anything strange have happened by now?  oozing?  ulcer?  blister?  it just appears as two little dots with a tiny bit of red, but no bull's eye or the like.. doesn't hurt too.  No spider to be seen, so can't take it to the doc, otherwise he'd just prescribe pain killers and antibiotics (but no anti-venom because it's an unknown bite)..  what to do -_- ahhhhh!!!!  It doesn't bother me except the fact that it is there at all. 

I love how most of my topics aren't even tech related.

#2 papercut2008uk

papercut2008uk

Neowinian

• 248 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:07

if it's red around and raised it might be an insect bite, if there is any liquid coming out of it, or it hurts a lot or feels odd, might be worth getting it checked out by a doctor, but it's probably not needed unless it starts to ulcerate.

#3 Xahid

Xahid

Anokha Neowinian

• 6,048 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:11

7 hours ago, you need to wait for 24 hours to see the hormones change & spider-man effect in your body ;)

#4 OP Izlude

Izlude

Oddy Tentacles

• 2,416 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:20

lol thanks i need the laughs to caaaalm down

#5 Earthworm Jim

Earthworm Jim

Whoa, Nelly !

• 8,147 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:41

i am no expert, but in my humble opinion if you are fine after 7 hours, i don't think it is a big deal...

i understand how you feel, i was super paranoid over some unknown bite once, and made up all kind of weird symptoms.

if it was serious symptoms, you would not be posting on neowin, but running to the doctor.  until then, relax ;)

PS. if you never post again, i will know what happened. someone will avenge you!

#6 OP Izlude

Izlude

Oddy Tentacles

• 2,416 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 17:06

I found the culprit!!  A little striped wolf spider living under my futon. I discovered that it likes to come out from under (at night) and sneak up to bite me.  Almost bit me again, but I caught it and put it out.  eeeeee....

Here's what it kinda looks like (google image)  no bigger than  an coin (quarters)

rabid_wolf_spider_joseph.jpg

#7 streetw0lf

streetw0lf

Neowinian

• 506 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 17:11

Just read that symptoms start in about 24-36 hours.  Uncontrollable flatulence is the primary symptom.  I'd keep to yourself for a while. :o

#8 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• 3,178 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 17:56

God I hate spiders. I found one the other day in my bedroom. It was enormous. Freaked me out big time.

#9 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,814 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 18:16

You might want to just give the outside of your house a check for anything like this:

20130324-192408.jpg

#10 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,794 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 30 August 2014 - 19:48

A  lot of the time when people get bitten by harmless insects and spiders they suffer the nocebo effect: the venom isn't toxic enough to actually do any real harm but people start to freak out and suffer all different types of symptoms like panic, dizziness, heart palpitations, nausea etc. because they believe the venom is going to make them really sick or kill them.

I think that is why so many people are terrified of spiders, they're convinced they're all dangerous and out to kill them. I like huntsman spiders in my house, they kill other pests like cockroaches, silverfish, earwigs etc.

#11 Earthworm Jim

Earthworm Jim

Whoa, Nelly !

• 8,147 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 23:12

A  lot of the time when people get bitten by harmless insects and spiders they suffer the nocebo effect: the venom isn't toxic enough to actually do any real harm but people start to freak out and suffer all different types of symptoms like panic, dizziness, heart palpitations, nausea etc. because they believe the venom is going to make them really sick or kill them.

I think that is why so many people are terrified of spiders, they're convinced they're all dangerous and out to kill them. I like huntsman spiders in my house, they kill other pests like cockroaches, silverfish, earwigs etc.

depending on your culture, you can make it a big deal or not.

i found a live scorpion in my lodge in costa rica.   i freaked out, killed it, and then scouted the whole place, finding and getting rid of the second one.

when i complained to the management, they just laughed it off, and said it is not a big deal.  even if they bite, it is only 3-4 days of high fever, so you would have to take painkillers for a while, but otherwise nothing serious.

for me, having a fever because of scorpion bite, and taking painkillers for a week IS SERIOUS.    for them, it is a laughing matter. not a big deal....    culture differences

#12 DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

• 1,251 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:26

7 hours ago, you need to wait for 24 hours to see the hormones change & spider-man effect in your body ;)

LOL! I was just about to say that but you beat me to it. I always wondered if being bit by a Spider can really turn you into a Spider-Man. :D

#13 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,392 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:08

You might want to just give the outside of your house a check for anything like this:

20130324-192408.jpg

Man, if I ever saw something like that, I would shoot at it.

#14 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• 2,790 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:28

Man, if I ever saw something like that, I would shoot at it.

If I ever saw something like that, I would destroy the house and move 1,000 miles away.

#15 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,597 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:32

and some radioactivity :laugh:

depending on your culture, you can make it a big deal or not.

i found a live scorpion in my lodge in costa rica.   i freaked out, killed it, and then scouted the whole place, finding and getting rid of the second one.

when i complained to the management, they just laughed it off, and said it is not a big deal.  even if they bite, it is only 3-4 days of high fever, so you would have to take painkillers for a while, but otherwise nothing serious.

for me, having a fever because of scorpion bite, and taking painkillers for a week IS SERIOUS.    for them, it is a laughing matter. not a big deal....    culture differences

It also depends, you can be allergic to scorpion sting, just like bee stings...