argyle children act handgun license emergency response district policy

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,467 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:31

A school district outside Dallas will reportedly continue to allow some teachers to carry guns in school, and posted signs on school campuses warning that teachers "may use whatever force is necessary to protect our students."

NewFix's CW33 reported that Argyle teachers will continue to be allowed to be armed on campus under the state's Protection of Texas Children Act.

The report said these gun-toting teachers are required to have a handgun license, pass a psychological test and go through emergency response training.

"I trust that the administrators of this school district will put my kid's best interest at heart," one parent told the station.

The district policy was passed in January. Telena Wright, the district superintendent, said at the time that "armed staff answers the question. What about the first 1 to 2 minutes in [a] crisis situation where there’s an armed shooter? That seems to be a horrific situation that all schools across the nation are attempting to address,"

source

#2 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,953 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:35

It really is a sad state of affairs when educators feel they need to be armed in order to safely teach their students.

#3 Neu B

Neu B

Neowinian

• 294 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:49

It really is a sad state of affairs when educators feel they need to be armed in order to safely teach their students.

I felt my IQ drop after I read this.

#4 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 11,108 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:22

Agreed. I wouldn't be pleased living in that district.

#5 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,953 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:28

I felt my IQ drop after I read this.

For some reason I doubt it had far to drop.

Perhaps you think it's just dandy that schools in America are so dangerous teachers want to or need to pack heat. I imagine it's a rather foreign notion to most people.

#6 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• 12,231 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:47

Someday a teacher will wake up in the wrong side of the bed.

#7 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,467 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 13:18

I can see a teacher upset with a Principal and going postal.

Or a teacher going berserk, shooting a student because they don't like his color, clothes, hair, etc.

Or a big student wrestling a gun away from a teacher.

Is an armed teacher going to have the fortitude to actually shoot armed students ?

Will they have good aim ,,, ?

#8 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• 12,231 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 13:29

John woke up. Like every morning he rolls over, but to his surprise unlike every morning his wife was not there.
All her clothes, pictures, shoes, books, everything that was related to her was simply gone. It was like Amy never lived in that apartment.
What an headache.
After being married for 14 years she had enough of this alcohol-driven antics.
Last night's punch, which given his previous condition, he obviously doesn't even recall (like the previous ones) was the last straw.
She had enough of those. So many years, so many broken promises and far too many broken ribs.
He tries to call her through her cellphone but it's off. And that headache is really not helping.
``That bitch!...'' --- he shouts, only to be silenced by his alarm. He was late to school, and the principal has admonish him about these constant ``late arrivals due to intense traffic''.
``######ing ######!''
There's no time to waste, so he puts on the same sweaty, booze-malodorous shirt and pants.
Before leaving the house John empties the bottles of last night's bourbon.

#9 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,953 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 13:33

I could see a teacher shooting a parent who comes in an abuses the teacher for "picking on" their kid. Some parents at the High School I went to were the absolute worst. If their kids got into trouble the parents would abuse the teachers instead of punishing the kids for misbehaving. Those kids learnt pretty quickly that they could get away with anything because the teachers didn't want to punish them and have to deal with their angry, abusive parents.

#10 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,427 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 29 August 2014 - 13:41

Pointing a loaded gun at an American kid is a good way to make him/her behave.

Edited by _Alexander, 29 August 2014 - 13:42.

#11 Forjo

Forjo

Neowinian

• 517 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520

Posted 29 August 2014 - 13:44

The sad state is where they AREN'T ALLOWED to protect their students.  Because the bad guys exist either way.

And the arguments made here would apply to any legal firearm holder. That's what recertification and testing is for. Anyone can have a psychological break and use what would normally be a tool as a weapon. But if this did happen, it wouldn't be a massacre because the teacher in the next classroom, who also was trained but who ISN'T going nuts, would put a stop to it.

-Forjo

#12 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,275 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 14:11

It's sad to think that we as a society have come to this. I was at a small reunion with my high school, many of my former teachers were there. They were talking about this, and that they recall growing up, people fighting, but never to the level that we have now. Its sad that we have to turn to educators to be security for the school. 

#13 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 3,139 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 14:14

Or a teacher going berserk, shooting a student because they don't like his color, clothes, hair, etc.

Or a big student wrestling a gun away from a teacher.

Is an armed teacher going to have the fortitude to actually shoot armed students ?

Will they have good aim ,,, ?

I don't know. Why don't you ask the parents of those kids who have been killed in school shootings in the US if they wish there had been an armed teacher. Of course, that may take you a while to do that. Just since Sandy Hook in December of 2012, there have been 74 incidents.

#14 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,953 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 15:14

The sad state is where they AREN'T ALLOWED to protect their students.  Because the bad guys exist either way.

The point is they shouldn't have to. This celebration of weaponry is really depressing.

Why are there so many bad guys in the U.S. who take to shooting up schools? It seems the rest of the world rarely has problems with people shooting up schools. (That's not to say it never happens; you needn't find me an article of it happening elsewhere, but it seems to happening overwhelmingly more in the U.S.)

#15 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,961 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 15:36

The point is they shouldn't have to. This celebration of weaponry is really depressing.

Why are there so many bad guys in the U.S. who take to shooting up schools? It seems the rest of the world rarely has problems with people shooting up schools. (That's not to say it never happens; you needn't find me an article of it happening elsewhere, but it seems to happening overwhelmingly more in the U.S.)

If you look at spree shooters you'll almost always find a seriously mentally ill person who slipped through the cracks. US committal laws changed in the late 1970's and 1980's, largely eliminating enforced committal and treatment past a few days. That was a mistake.

At the same time medical privacy laws were passed that prevented mental health providers from reporting them to the agencies responsible for gun sale background checks.

A toxic stew.