argyle children act handgun license emergency response district policy

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,102 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 15:54

If you look at spree shooters you'll almost always find a seriously mentally ill person who slipped through the cracks. US committal laws changed in the late 1970's and 1980's, largely eliminating enforced committal and treatment past a few days. That was a mistake.

At the same time medical privacy laws were passed that prevented mental health providers from reporting them to the agencies responsible for gun sale background checks.

A toxic stew.

All factors that add to the problem, absolutely.

But still, Compl3x's point is a valid one.  It's really quite sad that it's become necessary for teachers in the US to carry a gun to protect their students.  I know of no other nation in the western world where such a thing would even cross anyone's mind... :(

I really hope you guys can fix that...

#17 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,834 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 15:59

I'm not sure I follow. This policy was passed back in January, and I remember reading about it then. This article basically says, "they are still allowed to carry firearms." So business as usual then? Or was there a possibility recently that the policy was going to be revoked?

#18 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,972 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 29 August 2014 - 16:09

I'm not sure I follow. This policy was passed back in January, and I remember reading about it then. This article basically says, "they are still allowed to carry firearms." So business as usual then? Or was there a possibility recently that the policy was going to be revoked?

It's Fox News making a story out of nothing.

#19 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,484 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 29 August 2014 - 16:16

For some reason I doubt it had far to drop.

If there was an award for best (and most deserved) burn of the year, you sir, just won the internets :p

#20 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,761 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 29 August 2014 - 16:22

They should stop forcing people to go to school. It's obvious that the threatening kids (the ones that make the teacher feel the need to bring a weapon to school) aren't there to learn anything. So why not send them off to be productive elsewhere? And if they cannot be productive (like if they join a gang or cause any trouble in society), execute them.

#21 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,058 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 17:10

Many states have virtual charter schools (online academies) to support home schooling, and physical charter schools outside of the rule of local school districts.

More and more of the kids who want to learn use these, and the physical academies do not put up with those who don't. Cause trouble and out you go.

This distillation leaves local districts with most of the the malcontents and crazies and there is little you can do. Many have one disorder or another that causes behavior issues, and state laws protect them from expulsion for all but the worst behaviors.

Fun.

#22 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,553 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 19:01

I do wonder where teachers are keeping the guns -- locked in the desk somewhere ...?

#23 Neu B

Neu B

Neowinian

• 295 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 19:34

For some reason I doubt it had far to drop.

You keep telling yourself that lol

#24 Neu B

Neu B

Neowinian

• 295 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 19:43

If there was an award for best (and most deserved) burn of the year, you sir, just won the internets :p

How is that a burn?

#25 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,484 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 29 August 2014 - 19:46

How is that a burn?

How is it not!? Haha.

#26 DrCheese

DrCheese

Tell me i'm your national anthem

• 3,017 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 19:51

I do think you have failed as a society when you need to start arming your school teachers.

I understand why, it's just... sad

People say bad guys exist everywhere, sure. But countries without legal access to guns also have very little illegal access to guns.

#27 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,058 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 20:23

A lot of these bozos get their firearms illegally, or the reason they could get them legally is the mental health law issue I mentioned previously.

Either way, without someone being armed; teacher, administrator or the DARE (anti-drug & counselling) officer (if present) the school can become a shooting gallery.

Thinking about unicorns and rainbows can cost lives, and school & workplace shootings have been stopped by an armed teacher etc. before.

#28 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,102 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 20:33

A lot of these bozos get their firearms illegally, or the reason they could get them legally is the mental health law issue I mentioned previously.

Either way, without someone being armed; teacher, administrator or the DARE (anti-drug & counselling) officer (if present) the school can become a shooting gallery.

Thinking about unicorns and rainbows can cost lives, and school & workplace shootings have been stopped by an armed teacher etc. before.

The prevalence of illegal weapons is a direct consequence of the prevalence of legal ones.  

As for the "unicorns and rainbows" comment, come now Doc.  I expect more of you than such childish retorts.

#29 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,988 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 29 August 2014 - 20:46

You keep telling yourself that lol

I thought I was telling you and every other person in this thread that.

Your comment was childish and completely unnecessary. You didn't even elaborate on why you thought my comment was stupid.