The audacity of taupe: Barack Obama's tan suit creates sartorial stir on social media

Most of the complaining was from the always angry Rep. Peter King.

Pete has a lot of free time since the IRA no longer needs a one man cheerleader squad in congress.  

1) Barry is what he is called informally. Dates back to his high school years and persists today.

2) clothes make the man. Taupe is informa wear, also known as a walking suit. Not for diplomatic use.

3) its the optics, using DC speech. AKA unseemly, given the event earlier in the day, and people on both the left and right squirmed over it.

Only in America do people complain about the color of their president's suit.

Ask yourself this: if Merkel or some other European leader showed up for a major speech wearing a taupe 1975 leasure suit what would be the headline? Not far off.

Makes him look like a lounge lizard; Leisure Suit Larry Barry!

Only in America do people complain about the color of their president's suit.

It is not everyone. It's a few people who have nothing better to do than try to destroy a person's character by any means possible.

Ask yourself this: if Merkel or some other European leader showed up for a major speech wearing a taupe 1975 leasure suit what would be the headline? Not far off.

Makes him look like a lounge lizard.

It's not a leisure suit. You are really grasping at a lot of straws as of late.

• Like 1

Looks are subjective.  Your opinion is not a fact.  That comparison is ridiculous and very far off.  People always wonder why Americans are made fun of around the world; complaining about your presidents suit color is one of the reasons.

Dior Homme, D&G, George de Paris and others still make them, now called casual or summer suits. His was George de Paris and a good number of the men's fashion people had the same reaction.

Also,

The press reacts to change. By doing something that drew attention away from the content of his speech he diminished it.

Then again, with the lame content in that speech that may have been the whole idea.

1) Barry is what he is called informally. Dates back to his high school years and persists today.

And has been used by his detractors to imply an air of unprofessionalism.  It has been usurped and become a joke.  It makes those who use it look like they cannot criticise him on a political level.

2) clothes make the man. Taupe is informa wear, also known as a walking suit. Not for diplomatic use.

Not even remotely correct. Linen suits in this tone are used the world over in warm climates by diplomats.

3) its the optics, using DC speech. AKA unseemly, given the event earlier in the day, and people on both the left and right squirmed over it. 

People who wren't there or privy to the conversations.  As a leader I do not explain my every move to my staff, even when questioned - IF I have purpose not to.  There are some times when my outcome is greater than my need to care how it looked.  Scale that up.

And has been used by his detractors to imply an air of unprofessionalism.  It has been usurped and become a joke.  It makes those who use it look like they cannot criticise him on a political level.

So what you're saying is, "Barry" is the equivalent of "Dubya"?

Nobody would bat an eye, least of all the newspapers.