Photo

New theme crash in Safari on iPad

24 replies to this topic

#1 vanx

vanx

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 August 2014 - 16:29

Ever since the new theme has been introduced, browsing stories using the desktop version in Safari in iPad 3 has caused crashes of the whole browser.

My user agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.35

I tap and hold on a story title, choose to open in a new tab, but then sometimes tapping on that tab causes a freeze and, a few seconds later, whole browser crash. Sometimes, the page does show, but in a frozen state and trying to swipe up and down brings down the browser again.

Can you please investigate this?

P.S. It seems that the desktop version of the new theme is more memory-hungry than the previous one, because loading even a single story and then closing it causes other tabs (I only have 4 in total) to refresh. Any reason for that?

#2 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 29 August 2014 - 16:50

I'm curious, are you viewing the Contest post by any chance? 

#3 OP vanx

vanx

Neowinian

Posted 29 August 2014 - 17:12

I'm curious, are you viewing the Contest post by any chance? 

It did crash on that one, but another story on which it does is this: http://www.neowin.ne...n-on-october-31

Just tried another test story and it crashed on this one too: http://www.neowin.ne...-windows-phones

I can keep on testing more stories, if you would like.

#4 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

Posted 29 August 2014 - 17:51

Looking into it. Might be due to the usage of svg on the sprites.

#5 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

Posted 29 August 2014 - 18:10

Just disabled svg sprites, mind testing to see how the performance is now?

#6 OP vanx

vanx

Neowinian

Posted 29 August 2014 - 18:18

Just disabled svg sprites, mind testing to see how the performance is now?

Still crashes on the contest one and this one too: http://www.neowin.ne...about-to-go-big

The other 2 that crashed previously appear to be OK now.

#7 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

Posted 29 August 2014 - 18:21

Yea, that contest post heh, we need a load-more comments thing. Maybe this weekend.

It should help performance quite a bit for desktop/tablet though switching back to png sprites from svg.

#8 OP vanx

vanx

Neowinian

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:58

For what it is worth, I tried opening http://www.neowin.ne...of-new-features which did load but then crashed my browser again. Is there any way for the agent to be detected and have a "Load Comments" button to avoid overwhelming the page?

#9 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 17 September 2014 - 18:11

Just upgraded to iOS 8 on my iPad Air. The crashes seem to be gone I tested a page with over 80 comments on the front page and it didn't crash. Previously, it would did on anything above 20 or so.

#10 OP vanx

vanx

Neowinian

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:36

Just upgraded to iOS 8 on my iPad Air. The crashes seem to be gone I tested a page with over 80 comments on the front page and it didn't crash. Previously, it would did on anything above 20 or so.

Well, my iPad is iPad 3 and it is still running iOS 6. Things were not broken before, so it must have been because of changes to the website.

#11 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 20 September 2014 - 14:45

Well, my iPad is iPad 3 and it is still running iOS 6. Things were not broken before, so it must have been because of changes to the website.

Wasn't suggesting the problems weren't due to the site changes. Was merely offering more data points for the developers to find the root cause.

#12 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 September 2014 - 20:33

Safari keeps crashing when browsing news article on main site. Fine within the forums just the main site.

Phone is iPhone 4 so iOS 7 something, only happened in the last few weeks

#13 OP vanx

vanx

Neowinian

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:14

I wonder if this is related to what I have been experiencing with iOS 6 here: http://www.neowin.ne...safari-on-ipad/

#14 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 83

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:40

This has been reported, I and Redmak don't have a Mac/iDevice so we'll have to wait for Timans input :)

#15 OP vanx

vanx

Neowinian

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:45

This has been reported, I and Redmak don't have a Mac/iDevice so we'll have to wait for Timans input :)

Steven, it has been about a week and Tinman has not chimed in. How long we do wait?  :/