Obamas promise about more flexibility - correction

19 replies to this topic

#16 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,775 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 29 August 2014 - 17:29

combat boots on the ground i'd suggest. the longer we wait the bigger isis will grow. they are in war since quite some time now and they get better with strategy, planning, propaganda, etc. also they have many sleepers placed all over europe, even in the us/uk and once activated they will travel down to join them to fight. we don't know the numbers probably never will, but if i had to do a guess, i'd say at least 50k if not 100k. if there was just a law in place forbidding them to travel out and back to europe, so far i have heard nothing of it and this is the big scandal for me.

I already mentioned that but yet again it's only a short term solution (and I agree that we do need an immediate short term solution now) but it still won't solve it long term.

As for travel restrictions, I'm positive there are already some but you can avoid that by flying to another country first and then flying (or driving / train / boat etc).

ISIS is not in a war, they aren't winning battles because they have superior weaponry or manpower. They're winning battles by making people so afraid of them that they'd rather abandon their cities and bases and flee than risk getting captured. Look at all the battles they've fought, the majority of the time that they've fought against even a militia or what resembles a conventional army they have lost a lot of members and sometimes even the battle itself. So what do they do to win? They go around beheading people to spread terror. At the end of the day they're nothing more than a bunch of pathetic cowards wearing masks to hide their identity and killing innocent people.

That's what makes fighting them different to a conventional army. I'm pretty damn sure if the US dropped troops and brought in air support into the region, we'd be able to wipe them out in all but a couple of days. But we won't get everyone and their entire ideology will still exist and continue to grow and THAT is what we need to destroy and that's why we need a long term plan that goes further than "keeping soldiers in those areas."

Unfortunately, ISIS already has a lot of people with university degrees. They're using their education to be even deadlier.

ISIS must be destroyed.

I don't mean education in the sense of "they all have university degrees" but more like what made these people give up their lives in the west (and the rest of the world for that matter) and move to the Middle East to commit these atrocities. Normal people don't just get up one morning and go "yup today is the day I go behead a whole bunch of people"

It's propaganda and to counter propaganda we need education. I'm sure there are other factors too but the strongest tool we have to fight terror is education.

#17 OP +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

devoted fan of the us-armed forces

• 3,095 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 29 August 2014 - 17:31

Unfortunately, ISIS already has a lot of people with university degrees. They're using their education to be even deadlier.

ISIS must be destroyed.

has anyone ever investigated (i have not the equipment to do it sadly) the theory that isis and other jihadists not only use their language as propaganda, i know they use some orientalistic music as well, but there is the possibility to add unheard signal tones on a recording affecting the human brain psychologically. this came up recently as i remembered many years ago i heard our radio station in summer they said they have added a signal tone preventing mosquitos.

afaik also there is a pipe with a high frequency signal preventing dogs, and i would be the first one to conclude that isis also has these tricks better developed.

#18 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,575 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 17:33

I don't understand this anti-Obama fascination people have, but everyone is entitled to their opinion (in moderation.) However, there are 193/194 other countries in the world that could also do something about the situation between Russia and Ukraine, and 195/196 countries that could stand and do something about IS. Why people think that the responsibility to solve the world's issues lies squarely on the shoulders of the US is beyond me. Having a large military does not make one the caretaker for the world. :no:

I think the maths was right on the country numbers, but the point is there all the same.

#19 OP +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

devoted fan of the us-armed forces

• 3,095 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 29 August 2014 - 17:35

I already mentioned that but yet again it's only a short term solution (and I agree that we do need an immediate short term solution now) but it still won't solve it long term.

As for travel restrictions, I'm positive there are already some but you can avoid that by flying to another country first and then flying (or driving / train / boat etc).

ISIS is not in a war, they aren't winning battles because they have superior weaponry or manpower. They're winning battles by making people so afraid of them that they'd rather abandon their cities and bases and flee than risk getting captured. Look at all the battles they've fought, the majority of the time that they've fought against even a militia or what resembles a conventional army they have lost a lot of members and sometimes even the battle itself. So what do they do to win? They go around beheading people to spread terror.

That's what makes fighting them different to a conventional army. I'm pretty damn sure if the US dropped troops and brought in air support into the region, we'd be able to wipe them out in all but a couple of days. But we won't get everyone and their entire ideology will still exist and continue to grow and THAT is what we need to destroy and that's why we need a long term plan that goes further than "keeping soldiers in those areas."

very well said sir! if us and it's allies can convince them that stable freedom and democracy is the way to go i think they could develop a society where the resistance against isis and other bad guys is strong to leave them in the minority.

show them that it's better to be allowed to shave your beard off, have the internet, media, freedom, elections, discussions and debates, leave women allowed to wear what they chose not what they are forced to and fight poverty as well, this should be the plan. and this soft power approach is also an aera where european allies could join in and should be pressured to join in.

#20 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,775 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 29 August 2014 - 19:50

I don't understand this anti-Obama fascination people have, but everyone is entitled to their opinion (in moderation.) However, there are 193/194 other countries in the world that could also do something about the situation between Russia and Ukraine, and 195/196 countries that could stand and do something about IS. Why people think that the responsibility to solve the world's issues lies squarely on the shoulders of the US is beyond me. Having a large military does not make one the caretaker for the world. :no:

I think the maths was right on the country numbers, but the point is there all the same.

While I agree with your point, no other country can project power to the extent that the US can. We have more aircraft carriers than the rest of the world combined, we have some of the most advanced weaponry and we are able to deploy all of those significantly faster than other countries can.

That's why countries like China and India are rapidly trying to build up aircraft carriers because of their ability to project forward power.