Neztea

DoN't Be SuCh A pLaYa HatA!

• 1,599 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:20

So first as a reference,

http://edmonton.ctvn...crash-1.1974558

http://globalnews.ca...-west-edmonton/

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...crash-1.2745880

I was the driver of the clipped car that is referenced in those articles. I was just driving home from work when a car just came out of no where and it clipped me pretty good. Car went sailing into a parked car and then ended up into a tree. Got out of the car luckily unscathed, dialled 911, and ran towards the car to see if anyone needed any assistance (I work in the medical field so I know what I can do). Unfortunately I got to the scene and I could already see that there were no signs of life from the occupants.

Had I gone into that intersection 1 second sooner I would of been T boned and would have been in a lot worse shape or worse... dead.

I am doing well physically, but the whole incident has left me with a bad experience. I hope I will manage. Just thought I should share the story.

Fact of the matter is, reports were saying speed and alcohol were a factor, they ran a stop, clipped me, hit a parked car and then the tree.

I'm just thankful to be alive and kicking.

I'm also posting the picture of the aftermath of my car.

Attached Images

• IMG_20140829_1158091.jpg

#2 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• 2,697 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:41

Glad your ok :)

as you say goning by the damage on your car 1 seconds later you would have taken the full impact

#3 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,769 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:13

Wow. :|

Yeah, I'm glad to hear that you're ok. It's a shame that the other party didn't fare as well, but if you're going to be going over the limit, both in speed and alcohol, then you really have no excuse to be behind the wheel. It's just such a shame that they won't be able to learn from this lesson. :(

I must admit, from the photo you've provided along with the description of "sailing in to a parked car and ending up into a tree," I'm actually surprised at the damage to the car. Obviously it's not a ding you can knock out, but I would have thought it would be more extensive. Just goes to show the quality of today's cars, I guess.

#4 OP Neztea

Neztea

DoN't Be SuCh A pLaYa HatA!

• 1,599 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:15

Wow. :|

Yeah, I'm glad to hear that you're ok. It's a shame that the other party didn't fare as well, but if you're going to be going over the limit, both in speed and alcohol, then you really have no excuse to be behind the wheel. It's just such a shame that they won't be able to learn from this lesson. :(

I must admit, from the photo you've provided along with the description of "sailing in to a parked car and ending up into a tree," I'm actually surprised at the damage to the car. Obviously it's not a ding you can knock out, but I would have thought it would be more extensive. Just goes to show the quality of today's cars, I guess.

Yeah, the car had clipped me. Think of it like this. The car came from the right hand side (passenger side) and I made contact with the vehicle on the left hand side (drivers side). Goes to show you how fast they went blazing through the intersection.

Glad your ok :)

as you say goning by the damage on your car 1 seconds later you would have taken the full impact

Had I taken the full impact I would either be in the ICU or in the morgue. :s

Neztea

#5 Barney T.

Barney T.

Debian Linux: I'm Loving It!

• 15,072 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:35

Glad to know you are all right. (Y)

I can see how no one in the other car would have survived.

#6 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,405 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 22:52

wow glad that you escaped without injuries and are still posting in here :)

#7 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

• 1,479 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 23:04

One second your driving home from work and the next minute your looking at a lifeless body trapped in deformed metal.

Life is both precious and strange.

We're glad that you are alright. Hopefully the event won't trouble you any further.

#8 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,263 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 23:14

the stars were aligned for you that night my friend.

#9 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,333 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 23:18

Been in far far worse.  Human body is pretty good at fixing itself.

#10 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 3,110 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 23:24

Got out of the car luckily unscathed, dialled 911, and ran towards the car to see if anyone needed any assistance (I work in the medical field so I know what I can do). Unfortunately I got to the scene and I could already see that there were no signs of life from the occupants.

You didn't check for a pulse?

#11 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,444 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 30 August 2014 - 23:30

Wow, glad you're ok. I had something similar happen to me, although not as bad.

The other driver was on her cell phone and ran a red light, clipped my front bumper. Like you said, 1 second later and she would have hit me on the drivers side door. The good news was that my bumper repair was not expensive, but the damage to their vehicle was substantial. Insurance didn't cover either side's repairs because she lied and said she had a green light, so it was "word against word". I've since installed a dashcam.

#12 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

• 2,885 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:15

Depending on how you're doing you may wish to talk to a counsellor, don't know how it works in the states, but here it's via your family doctor - as some have sleepless nights and flashbacks.

Take some time off work and meet up with close friends.

#13 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,664 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:20

Christ the other car!

fatal-crash.jpg

#14 conna

conna

Conna

• 538 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:15

Drink. Drive. Die. Dont be sad when it happens.

#15 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 1,262 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:29

Glad you're OK.

Some guys were sniffing freon and passed out at the wheel.  They jumped a median and hit us head on.  My friend who was driving died, and my friend who was in the back seat was ejected and suffered permanent brain damage.  My head went through the windshield and I busted some ribs - thats it.

Life is precious and we are fragile.