Automatically install optional windows updates?

Is it possible?

I don't believe so, which personally is a good thing as sometimes it offers stuff you may not actually want. Think stuff like language packs, Bing Toolbar/Desktop, MSE would be bad if you're already running something else, etc.. it suggests them but it can't blindly assume you want/need them.  You can "promote" recommended updates via the settings, but not optional.

sudo apt-get update? :rofl:

no honestly, i don't really know but shouldn't there be a checkbox somewhere to download and automatically install all updates? i remember back when i used vista or so i could chose between disabled anything, only download or download and install automatically.

did they ditch this in win8? and if so, why? it opens a potential security risk!

did they ditch this in win8? and if so, why? it opens a potential security risk!

Nothing's changed, system updates are still delivered automatically, along with store apps if you use those.  Optional updates are stuff that you may or may not want, hence not being installed automatically.

Nothing's changed, system updates are still delivered automatically, along with store apps if you use those.  Optional updates are stuff that you may or may not want, hence not being installed automatically.

but then these optional updates are just some kind of added software functions or whatever but not security related right?

but then these optional updates are just some kind of added software functions or whatever but not security related right?

Right.  Like I mentioned above, language packs, the Bing Desktop/Toolbar (depending on what version of Windows you're running), MSE, Silverlight, etc etc.. addons, not updates, just gets delivered by the same mechanism.

I ask because I just let Window's update on it's own, but I finally decided to check Windows Update and 3 drivers for network, sound and video card were over a year newer than what I had installed. Only the drivers were optional updates. I installed them and my system works much better. I was getting high cpu usage in Netflix HTML5 for example but now it's all fixed. I don't want to have to check Windows Update every so often to see if driver updates are out. I love linux for the fact these sort of updates are able to be setup to install automatically in most popular distros.

I don't want to have to check Windows Update every so often to see if driver updates are out. I love linux for the fact these sort of updates are able to be setup to install automatically in most popular distros.

Driver updates typically show up as recommended, not optional.  And that you can tell to include during auto updates, something to the effect of "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates", although personally I wouldn't let it blindly update drivers either, Windows or Linux.. sometimes can blow up in your face, have had it happen on both OS's in the past.  Much prefer doing it manually after a backup, just in case.