[Book Review] Lock In - John Scalzi

Lock In by John Scalzi is a different approach than his normal books. Rather than being about Space SoldiersHuman Sheep HybridsSmall fuzzy aliens, or Star Ship crew in Red Shirts this particular book is about a world ravaged by a disease (Haden's Syndrome) and the way that humanity has learned to cope with it; subsequently the greed and crimes that can come with the changing world as well.

In a world shaped by what?s now known as "Haden?s syndrome," rookie FBI agent Chris Shane is paired with veteran agent Leslie Vann. The two of them are assigned what appears to be a Haden-related murder at the Watergate Hotel, with a suspect who is an "integrator" ? someone who can let the locked in borrow their bodies for a time.?If the Integrator was carrying a Haden client, then naming the suspect for the murder becomes that much more complicated.

As far as thriller books go it kept me going for the whole ride, always having to turn to the next page to keep the whole thing going. I only stopped when I had to and it was waiting for me when I came back to it. In typical John Scalzi style it was a page turner you never wanted to put down till the end, leaving you want more once you have finished it.

I have a bit of a bias having read every John Scalzi book. However, for anyone looking for a Sci Fi thriller in the likes of Blade Runner I would recommend this book to you. It is fun, there are plenty of jokes but the story will keep you coming back.

I gladly give John Scalzi's Lock In a 5 out of 5

Also check out Unlocked: An Oral History of Hadens Syndrome

If you would like to purchase a copy you can buy one from the links below. (Or at other retailers, or e-book vendors)

Amazon

Barnes and Noble

Jay and Mary's Book storey in Troy Ohio

Does he pull an out of nowhere trump card near the end that tidies everything up like in just about every one of his other books?

No the book takes place 15 years after the virus has become mainstream and it isnt about fighting the Virus more than dealing with a crime. No cliche moments as far as solving the crime goes.

I love the Old Man's War series and Redshirts. Is this any good?

I really enjoyed it, took me about 6 hours to read, My wife read half of it last night. I am a bit Bias though as I get all of his books for free and from him directly. 

No the book takes place 15 years after the virus has become mainstream and it isnt about fighting the Virus more than dealing with a crime. No cliche moments as far as solving the crime goes.

That's good. It's probably my biggest gripe with a lot of Scalzi's novels. I just started reading The Broken Eye, but this is next on my list.

It's on Audible so I've added it to my wihlist as a reminder, I've been struggling to find something new so I might go for it at some point, Thanks for the reccomendation!

Slightly off topic... how come you get the books from him?

It's on Audible so I've added it to my wihlist as a reminder, I've been struggling to find something new so I might go for it at some point, Thanks for the recommendation!

Slightly off topic... how come you get the books from him?

Talking with him and TOR (the publisher) over the years. I used to do a lot of ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) reviews and stuff. So I generally get his books Tobias Buckell, Cherie Priestand a few others Signed and for free.