netflix xbox one microsoft gui

24 replies to this topic

#1 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:12

Got home today and found a new update to Netflix. Once I finish downloaded and install, the UI change to the universal UI that all other platform has. Really upset about it. It would be nice if they would at least change the color and shape to the Xbox One design.

#2 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:02

Its not the UI specifically I don't like but they seemed to have removed some of the kinect voice commands, and you can't use gestures at all.

#3 Mandosis

Mandosis

Je'daii Ranger

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:57

I just tried it and the update made it look much worse visually. The animations are too slow and its harder to get to categories because of that and the big pictures for each show take up 2/3 of the screen.

#4 OP ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:09

I just tried it and the update made it look much worse visually. The animations are too slow and its harder to get to categories because of that and the big pictures for each show take up 2/3 of the screen.

I think Netflix just want to make the UI the same on all TV size screens which I like when it came out 8 months ago but now its not really good. Its slow, cartoonist, Wii design style. Wish they make it look like an Xbox One app.

#5 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:34

Got home today and found a new update to Netflix. Once I finish downloaded and install, the UI change to the universal UI that all other platform has. Really upset about it. It would be nice if they would at least change the color and shape to the Xbox One design.

Is this update mandated?

#6 OP ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:37

Is this update mandated?

you can't go into the app until you update it.

#7 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:53

Nothing you can do about it...  It's the developer's choice.

Same way about your site that your visitors hate your site layout...

If you hate the way Netflix looks, then feel free to try alternative video app such as Hulu.

You can always leave the feedback to them and you never know that they may change it again for better..  never hurt to try.

#8 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:18

The universal app design looks terrible compared to the last version, which was the same design as the Windows app (so I'm guessing Microsoft made it or significantly helped). It'd hardly be the first time Netflix has made a terrible decision like this.

#9 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:36

The universal app design looks terrible compared to the last version, which was the same design as the Windows app (so I'm guessing Microsoft made it or significantly helped). It'd hardly be the first time Netflix has made a terrible decision like this.

I haven't checked the new design yet, but I really wasn't a fan of the old XO design, it looked good enough, but it listed to few under each category, browsing through the categories took forever and was annoying. browsing by category and sub category was, near impossible. 

it looked good but it was a usability nightmare compared to the website or the old 360 UI. 

#10 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:51

Update sucks.  Cannot even use the voice features to select shows and episodes.  Layout is horrible as well.  Not sure what they were thinking.

#11 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:51

How about a screen shot would be nice..

#12 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

Posted 03 September 2014 - 13:18

I haven't checked the new design yet, but I really wasn't a fan of the old XO design, it looked good enough, but it listed to few under each category, browsing through the categories took forever and was annoying. browsing by category and sub category was, near impossible. 

it looked good but it was a usability nightmare compared to the website or the old 360 UI. 

No argument that the appearance wasn't all that great, but it was far more functional than this interface. If you thought browsing took forever in that version, wait until you use this one...

#13 +dsbig

dsbig

Neowinian

Posted 03 September 2014 - 13:36

I wish they would update the ui on the sony blueray players.

#14 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 03 September 2014 - 19:52

Yup,it's terrible and broken. I'm all for companies working towards a unified UI but it kind of relies on the company having some sort of UI in the first place. Clearly they do not!

#15 Fezmid

Fezmid

Neowinian

Posted 03 September 2014 - 20:26

How about a screen shot would be nice..

http://www.neowin.ne...es-key-features