Supergirl (TV Series)

WB should've went with The CW because the show would be "grittier" like Arrow & The Flash, because then crossovers would be guaranteed, with it airing on CBS crossovers may happen but aren't guaranteed, I have a feeling that Supergirl will be more like Batman Forever as well as Batman & Robin.

Or maybe it'll be along the lines of Superboy that lasted for 4 seasons

It's just Kara-El, Zor-El is her father. That would be like calling Kal-El Kal Jor-El lol.

No.

The Kryptonian naming convention is a patronymic system which differs between males and females

Males use the family name as a surname; Kal-El, Jor-El and brother Zor-El, all of the House of El, but also Lor-Van (Lara's father), General Dru-Zod etc.

Females use their fathers entire name; Lara Lor-Van (Kal's mom), Kara Zor-El, Allura In-Zee (Lara's mom), Faora Hu-Ul (Zod's lieutenant) etc.

No.

The Kryptonian naming convention is a patronymic system which differs between males and females

Males use the family name as a surname; Kal-El, Jor-El and brother Zor-El, all of the House of El, but also Lor-Van (Lara's father), General Dru-Zod etc.

Females use their fathers entire name; Lara Lor-Van (Kal's mom), Kara Zor-El, Allura In-Zee (Lara's mom), Faora Hu-Ul (Zod's lieutenant) etc.

Oh. Didn't know that. Thanks.

Isn't Jimmy white?

And just to counter any "Just because he's not white doesn't mean he can't play the part" retorts - what I mean is, it seems to go against the comics? It's like, would Idris Elba really be James Bond?

It won't last long. Mark my words. The show it's going to be 90% drama/romance BS and 10% Supergirl action. We will probably get to see Supergirl doing her thing at the last 5 minutes of each episode.

Isn't Jimmy white?

And just to counter any "Just because he's not white doesn't mean he can't play the part" retorts - what I mean is, it seems to go against the comics? It's like, would Idris Elba really be James Bond?

It seems to be a trend in Hollywood these days wanting to turn white characters into black characters.

I have absolutely nothing against black actors infact some of my favorite actors/characters are black. However I think it is totally ridiculous changing a character who has always been white into a black person. And I would feel the same if they changed a black character into a white character. If they need a boyfriend for Supergirl who is black then fine no problem at all. But how about creating a brand new character at least?

I am surprised they did not cast a black actress to play Supergirl.

• Like 2

I am surprised they did not cast a black actress to play Supergirl.

It's kind of funny because story lines in the past are written to be relatable to a specific character, and different races/ethnicities have different experiences in life.

I'd like to see them remake "Boyz in the Hood" with a all white main cast", see how that works.

• Like 3

It seems to be a trend in Hollywood these days wanting to turn white characters into black characters.

I have absolutely nothing against black actors infact some of my favorite actors/characters are black. However I think it is totally ridiculous changing a character who has always been white into a black person. And I would feel the same if they changed a black character into a white character. If they need a boy friend for Supergirl whois black then fine no problem at all. But how about creating a brand new character at least?

Jimmy Olsen was created back in the 1930s at a time when racial equality didn't exist. Changing the race of a character serves as an effective way of improving racial diversity while maintaining the backstory associated with the character. The alternative is to simply shelve existing characters and write completely new ones, which provides less for fans to relate to.

Comics have a tradition of rewriting characters, so I see nothing out of place with this move. It should be noted that the TV universe has a different canon to that of the comics.

Funny thing no one else -- yet -- seems to realize, is that "Superboy" (1988 - 1992) was also broadcast on CBS..........................................................

• 4 weeks later...

I really wish these studios would stop mixing teen drama with super hero themes. Its so shallow and honestly i can't take it anymore. Let me guess, each scene is going to be super reductionist, bunch of drama about sexual, relationship and identity issues, oh and enemies are going to be fly by night with poor character plot or any explanation. Then they will milk it for 4 seasons... and onto the next super hero teen drama.

• Like 1

Supergirl Recruits Dean Cain and Helen Slater For The Pilot

14250881113148.png

Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg, who cast '90s Flash John Wesley Shipp as Barry Allen's father on The Flash, will add former Superman Dean Cain and former Supergirl Helen Slater to the cast of Supergirl, TVLine reports.

Cain portrayed Clark Kent/Superman on Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, while Slater played Kara Zor-El/Supergirl in the 1984 film adaptation of Supergirl, set in the world of Christopher Reeve's Superman movies. The pair appeared in Smallville as well -- Slater in the role of Lara, Superman's birth mother, and Cain as the immortal Dr. Curtis Knox.

The report says that Slater and Cain have been cast in mystery roles. Laura Benanti of Nashville will play Kara

why red skirt and not the red panty?

Because the 'skirt' is traditional.

Also, I think they should've went with something like this:

Man-of-Steel-Supergirl-Costume.jpg

Heck, had they used Google Image Search, they could've found a lot of ideas for the costume:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=supergirl&num=100&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=O_v6VKrSD4myogT9uoIg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=792

Here are some more taken from the above gallery, that would've been better than the one they are going with, IMHO, that was posted by Damien R.:

supergirl___smallville_11___commission_b

jeff-chapman-supergirl-06.jpg

comics-supergirl_168468.jpg

supergirl__2__man_of_steel_version_by_si

supergirl-what-do-the-flash-and-supergir

supergirl_by_ash7croft-d5vftje.jpg

Ignore "Cir-El" & "Powergirl", which is what I'm doing, and check out the other costumes.

dc_comics_supergirl_power_girl_superwoma