After Begging 911 for Help, Homeowner Shoots Intruder

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,296 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:08

I wish people would stop ignorantly comparign Switzerland to the US because some gun nut organization told them Switzerland was the same. having high gun ownership is not the same. heck we have a fairly high gun ownership here in Norway to. 

So what does that have to do with Norway? I was speaking about Switzerland exclusively. By your statement about "gun nut" in your first sentence, you essentially void any credibility. I didn't say they were exactly alike. please re-read before you post

chrisj1968, on 03 Sept 2014 - 11:49, said:

Don't forget, Switzerland being in Europe has alot of legal gun owners and probably the closest thing to the US.

emphasis mine "probably the closest thing to the US." selective reading?

#17 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,863 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:06

An unfriendly german shepard would have come in handy.

Even a friendly one would have!

#18 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,956 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:05

So what does that have to do with Norway? I was speaking about Switzerland exclusively. By your statement about "gun nut" in your first sentence, you essentially void any credibility. I didn't say they were exactly alike. please re-read before you post

emphasis mine "probably the closest thing to the US." selective reading?

No I don't since the only reason Americans bring up Switzerland is because that gun nut organization claimed switzerland was like the US and had no crimes and such.

if you're going to compare Switzerland to the US bring up some more facts than just the names of them and amount of guns per capita. learn the difference or stop comparing them because what you're doing is ignorant. 

and yes you basically said that the Swiss gun ownership is identical to the US. it's not.

as for Norway that was my point, your Swiss comment has as much to do with the US as it does with Norway. Though in Norway some people actually have actual assault rifles in their homes unless they ended up changing that. 

#19 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,646 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:25

Nobody disputes that guns have their uses, like in this situation (I don't see anyone arguing the homeowner was wrong). The point is that they do more harm than good.

This topic is pro-gun propaganda designed to distract from the very real issues that stem from gun ownership in the US.

#20 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,766 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:49

glad to live in the state I do. the law here is, someone comes into your home unwelcome.. you can blast them. if they come in then, run out of the door... you have to let them go. we also have open carry laws here too.

Texas. you can shoot someone unwelcome in your yard.

gun free zones? you, the victim, are dead meat.

It must be horrible to live with such dibilitating paranoia.

#21 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,122 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:28

Its not paranoia when it has a high probability of happening.

In 2012 Detroit clocked up 15,230 violent crimes and 386 criminal homicides, and it is NOT the most dangerpus US city, its #6. #1 would be East St. Louis Illinois.

Detroit's 396 criminal homicides is overwhelmed by the thousands who sustained major, and in many cases disabling or disfiguring, injuries. In Detroit this means that in any year 1 in 45 people will be a violent crime victim. Over 2%. If you live to be 50....

With the average police response being 23 minutes its pretty clear that stopping a serious attack is usially a DIY situation. Not stopping it fast increases the risk of serious injury or death. Now add rapes, which are also covered by most state self-defense laws.

Stopping or preventong an attack is what the self-defense laws are all about.

In order to accomplish this you need the means, which usually means selecting the caliber and form factor of a pistol.

This is especially true for small men, women, handicappers and seniors, for which a pistol is the only practical way of repelling an attacker. Not surprizingly, these are also the folks who make up most new gun owners & licensees.

Police departments and ranges even have special classes for women, handicappers and seniors.

#22 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• 5,389 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 17:47

I wish people would stop ignorantly comparign Switzerland to the US because some gun nut organization told them Switzerland was the same. having high gun ownership is not the same. heck we have a fairly high gun ownership here in Norway to. 

So what you are saying is that Switzerland AND Norway are just like the US when it comes to guns?   :rofl:

OT - This scenario is the sole reason I feel I should own a gun.  I know the chances are slim due to where I live but not having one scares the hell out of me.

#23 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,766 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 18:49

Its not paranoia when it has a high probability of happening.

I think it is paranoia when folks feel they are going to die if they don't have a gun with them at all times. It's also kind of irrational because you can still die.

I also think you might be misrepresenting the stats a tad, I mean, what percentage of the violent crimes victims don't need any serious treatment? I'd suspects the majority? That's not to down play any sort of violent crime, but your 1 in 45 could be getting a black eye or be left wheel chair bound.

#24 Tews

Tews

Professional Lurker

• 1,992 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 19:07

That's not to down play any sort of violent crime, but your 1 in 45 could be getting a black eye or be left wheel chair bound.

I am the one in 45 that is wheel chair bound .. for the rest of my life... and I'm sure glad I had my SIG 229. The as*hole was lucky, he survived as a quadroplegic and lives out his life as an inmate of the Colorado Federal Penal System....

#25 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,032 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 19:20

I am the one in 45 that is wheel chair bound .. for the rest of my life... and I'm sure glad I had my SIG 229.

Man, sorry to hear that dude.  Care to share your story?

#26 Tews

Tews

Professional Lurker

• 1,992 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 19:46

Back in 06 I was in the Airforce in Colorado,  This jerk wanted my car, but not as much as I did.. he fired, I fired neither of us won... I can walk small distances, he cant...

#27 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,032 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 19:52

Back in 06 I was in the Airforce in Colorado,  This jerk wanted my car, but not as much as I did.. he fired, I fired neither of us won... I can walk small distances, he cant...

Yea, situations like that are rough.  Sounds like you are doing well despite what happened.  And you are right, no one wins in this situation. 

#28 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,122 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 21:25

Our small towns cops only worked from 8 am to 10 pm, and after that we had to depend on the State Police post about 12 miles away. That post was responsible for everything In the southern half of the county with just 2 patrol cars. We were truly on our own, so the State Police told the farmers watch to do what was necessary and they'd clean up the mess.

My major situation was when I was a youngster in college. There was a night intruder and he had the drop in my father. Just as he told Dad "say goodbye, gramps"...... Dad lived another 26 years.

Since then I've made several citizens arrests because serious events were moving too fast not to do anything else.

One was 3 hoods breaking into a neighbor's house when the only one home was their 16 year old daughter, who was sleeping (parents both at work - colliding schedules.) I'd promised to watch out for her. They became very cooperative once they saw my 12 gauge shotgun.

And others.

#29 DuckTale

DuckTale

Neowinian

• 28 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:21

I think a home owner should be able to defend his property by any means. 

#30 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,318 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:35

Who is "Michael Lewis" in the transcript? Nobody in the original article is called "Michael Lewis."  :huh:

Sounds fair to me. The burglar came at the victim in his own home, and had not been invited in. He got what was coming to him. If he'd shot the burglar in the back as he was running away or searching the house, then I would have a problem with it.