Read any good books lately?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kincialiay

Kincialiay

Neowinian

• 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:08

I'm not a big reader normally, but I'm in the mood to read a book. Can anyone suggest a good book for a 24 year old guy that will really keep me glued to it?

#2 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 3,403 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:22

Do you know what kind of books you might be interested in?

Crime and Thriller, Fantasy or Sci Fi etc?

I have read a few books but nowadays I listen to Audio books, so I can recommend a few that I have enjoyed;

James Rollins - Sandstorm - sort of secret agent meets indianna Jones (there is a hole "Sigma" series so it's pretty good set to get into)

Linda Castillo - Pray for Silence - Crime/Thriller about a female chief of police investigating some murders (Again I think there are 3 or 4 books in the series so can keep you going if you enjoy the characters)

Karin Slaughter - Blindsighted - Another Crime/Thriller murder investigation with again a long series of books

Max Brooks - sort of a documentary around the history of a zombie outbreak - This is quite difficult to get into but if you soldier on it is an amazing book by the end.

J K Rowling - I'm a massive Harry Potter fan so finally getting round to reading all of the books was pretty good

I'm sure I could think of more but those are the ones that come to mind instantly that I've enjoyed and read over the years.

#3 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

• 9,708 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 17:04

The Game Neil Strauss.

Mind Management by ?

Mind Managerment is brilliant!...It really answers alot of questions.

Emergency By Neil Strauss.

My life wouldnt be the same without those books.

#4 Brendeth

Brendeth

Neowinian

• 498 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:03

I'm not a big reader either but some books I've ready over the past few years that I've loved are:

World War Z - Max Brooks -  It's much, much better than the movie. It's written after the world has started rebuilding and retells stories from how different countries have dealt with the outbreak and survived.
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson - I liked the movie, but the book is a quick and amazing read
Almost anything from Matthew Reilly - he writes one series around a character named Scarecrow, they are basically just big action movies in book form. Thrilling reads from start to finish!

Heroin Diaries - Nikki Sixx -  Basically it's diary entries from Nikki for an entire year, then more recent comments from him and other celebrities about what they remember from that time.

#5 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,910 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:11

You joined Neowin yesterday to solicit book recommendations?
Looking at the first three replies, it would seem that you got what you deserve. :)

#6 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,739 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:46

Windows 8 for Dummies

#7 Ian W

Ian W

Physical presence asserted.

• 1,400 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:53

While it is not necessarily a book, I enjoy using the Microsoft Press Guided Tours application to read material about Windows 8.x.

#8 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,889 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 21:15

Think & Grow Rich

#9 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 8,882 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 21:18

Windows 8 for Dummies