Xbox One launches in Japan

xbox one japan consoles video games microsoft

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ReptileX

ReptileX

Neowinian

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:07

Given how the PS4 is doing currently, will X1 fair off well? There are still a great many exclusives still coming out for the PS3 right now, it's quite remarkable.

Attached Images

• 1409811464158.jpg
  • xbox_one_japan.jpg

#2 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:11

Enthusiasm for the Xbox One in Japan is... limited: http://kotaku.com/ja...pect-1630411606

#3 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:18

It doesn't have to sell great, just better than the 360 before it.   It'd help if they could get more exclusives out of some Japanese developers though. 

#4 OP ReptileX

ReptileX

Neowinian

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:24

Enthusiasm for the Xbox One in Japan is... limited: http://kotaku.com/ja...pect-1630411606

If you don't mind could please pastebin the article? I don't want to give Kotaku any hits.

#5 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:28

If you don't mind could please pastebin the article? I don't want to give Kotaku any hits.

No. Check the article for the photos (which can't be pastebinned).

#6 Jacky L.

Jacky L.

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:30

The Xbox brand has never been as strong as PlayStation or Nintendo in Japan...

#7 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:30

This is a well known satire Twitter account that does actually joke about all consoles before anyone's pants get twisted

https://twitter.com/...161275659739136

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:40

I love that Yusuf Mehdi was so pleased with the Forza 5 crowd photo & a fan sharing it :rofl:

You're not missing anything, just lots of empty streets / queues / shops not opening for launch.

Article reads...

Today, the Xbox One finally went on sale in Japan. The launch looked rather depressing. But maybe you saw that coming, right?

Granted, these days, it's really hard to tell how hardware does. People can order stuff online, so there isn't the same emphasis on launch lines, like as in the past. That being said, if there are lots of people waiting for something—say, Yokai Watch toys—then it's possible to make a popularity assumption. But that is exactly what it is: an assumption.

Still, the Xbox One launch in Japan looks like a total downer. I'm sure there are Japanese gamers excited to get it, and a few people did appear to line up for the console. But, man, these photos circulating online do not look good for the Xbox One's chances in Japan.

Note that today is September 4 in Japan.

As Japanese game site Inside pointed out, Xbox Japan held a special mid-night launch countdown event. Everyone seems so excited counting down to today.

#9 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:19

I love that Yusuf Mehdi was so pleased with the Forza 5 crowd photo & a fan sharing it :rofl:

You're not missing anything, just lots of empty streets / queues / shops not opening for launch.

Article reads...

Omg I didn't know that was a thing until I saw this lol

lXzCxf7.png

#10 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:26

Eh. I'm more interested to see what happens (with both consoles) in China. I don't think anyone expects anything from Japan. Are there when any games out they'd be interested in on Xbox?

#11 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 04 September 2014 - 15:37

This may sound harsh. 

But if I were MS, I would of not bothered launching in Japan. But make sure that the console is ready to be launched in Japan at any time.  I would have thrown a ton of $ to Japanese developers to develop exclusively for the One.  Make sure the games reach as many people the world over as possible (but still making sure that the Japanese are the true target(s) audience for the games)...  

And do my best to kinda "tease" on what they are missing out on.  Then trickle the consoles into stores to see how they fair.

but that just me.

#12 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 September 2014 - 15:58

Omg I didn't know that was a thing until I saw this lol

lXzCxf7.png

lmao

#13 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 04 September 2014 - 18:01

I for one am glad MS is still pushing into the region. I only hope they push hard enough to keep securing content from Japanese developers. Another good announcement marred by negative points.

I don't know if MS really cares about big sales numbers, although beating 360 sales would probably be nice and I think that is a doable goal. Getting Japanese developers on board may be more valuable to them than huge sales numbers.

Even the ps4 isn't doing terribly well at the moment, but then the Japanese market is completely different from the rest of the console market, so that's to be expected.

I expect sales to be slow and low compared to the rest of the consoles and the usual laughs and jokes around here and elsewhere. Standard fair when it comes to MS and the Japanese market. If MS manages to outpace 360 sales, I would consider that a win. If they also secure most, if not all, of the Japanese gaming content that the ps4 gets, then that is also a win. They need to get games like Guilty Gear Xrd, Disgaea, Persona, etc, etc. Their efforts at the start of the 360's life were definitely worth it in regards to the Japanese content produced.

#14 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 04 September 2014 - 21:06

pDfEVgQ.jpg

Holy crap, look at those lines!

#15 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 04 September 2014 - 22:09

This may sound harsh. 

But if I were MS, I would of not bothered launching in Japan. But make sure that the console is ready to be launched in Japan at any time.  I would have thrown a ton of $ to Japanese developers to develop exclusively for the One.  Make sure the games reach as many people the world over as possible (but still making sure that the Japanese are the true target(s) audience for the games)...  

And do my best to kinda "tease" on what they are missing out on.  Then trickle the consoles into stores to see how they fair.

but that just me.

They tried that with the 360 and it didn't work out.

I think they've even resigned themselves by now, expecting to do poorly (as will PS4 no doubt), but almost forced to sell in the region anyway.