Apple Media Event 9.9.2014 Discussion

160 members have voted

1. 1. What do you expect Apple to annouce at the 9/9/2014 media event?

• iPhone 6
    • iPhone 6L/Air
    • iPhone 6c
    • iPad Air 2
    • iWatch
    • iTV
    • Apple TV 4
    • Retina Macbook Air
    • Retina iMac
    • iOS 8 to be released the same day
    • OS X 10.10 Yosemite release date
    • iTunes 12 for OS X < 10.10 and Windows
    • One more thing: (specify below)

9_9_14_event_big.jpg

The much hyped Apple Media Event for September 2014 is almost upon us. What do you expect to see?

Personally I think we'll see iPhone 6 (both rumoured size variants), some cheaper iPhone option - either a 6c or the 5s for a lowered price, with the hardware to be available only a few days after the event. Also iWatch + release information, iOS 8 and iTunes 12 to be released on the day of the media event, a release date for OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Maybe, just maybe a few 'One More Thing..' announcements.

I'll ask a mod to add links to live stream and live blogs to this post as they become available.

Speculate away.

Live stream URL: http://www.apple.com/live

Edited by Frank B.

The only things I am interested.

iPhone 6 both sizes availability

iOS 8 availability

Yosemite release date

iTunes 12 for Windows availability.

iPhone 6 will definitely happen, in 2 sizes. Perhaps the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6l... (l for large, being the 5.5"). I don't think it'll be called the iPhone Air... (maybe 20% chance for me). I also don't think there will be a new 6c or 5s... but the 5s and 5c will still be available. iOS 8 GM will be released on the 9th or 10th.

It will be available on September 18/19. iOS 8 will also be released on that day.

Then there's the iWatch, well anything can happen with it. I say there's a 70% chance of it being announced. I'm not too sure if it'll be called the iWatch, it's a bit tacky I think. If it does get announced, a large portion of the keynote will definately be running though the health features.

I actually don't think anything will be released that day. We'll get firm release dates for iPhone 6, iOS 8, Yosemite and iTunes 12, and that's it. Not expecting any hardware announcements beyond the phone.

• Like 1

I actually don't think anything will be released that day. We'll get firm release dates for iPhone 6, iOS 8, Yosemite and iTunes 12, and that's it. Not expecting any hardware announcements beyond the phone.

yeah, pretty much this.   two new REVOLUTIONARY iphones will be plenty.  

definitely not expecting iwatch to be announced at the same event.

Agree on this.  Would love to see ios8 on my ipad as itll be the deciding factor on whether I leave my Nexus 5 for an iPhone 6.  

All I will say about the iWatch, is that there's just no way it can live up to the hype. We've seen prototype (enthusiast made) renders of flexible displays, transparency, etc etc - designs that I just don't believe that even the poster child of high quality industrial design can make. And that's before we get to the realities of battery life, display technology, etc etc. 

With all that said, I'm personally excited to see what they have been working on! Just think a lot of people will have unrealistic expectations. 

All I will say about the iWatch, is that there's just no way it can live up to the hype. We've seen prototype (enthusiast made) renders of flexible displays, transparency, etc etc - designs that I just don't believe that even the poster child of high quality industrial design can make. And that's before we get to the realities of battery life, display technology, etc etc. 

With all that said, I'm personally excited to see what they have been working on! Just think a lot of people will have unrealistic expectations. 

To be fair I don't think the bar has been set partically high. The Moto 360 is the best out there at the moment, and according to The Verge's review it will never last an entire day on battery life, averaging about 12 hours.. and the heart rate sensor isn't particularly accurate.

So for me, if Apple releases a wearable that ticks the following boxes:

- 2 day battery life minimum

- Advanced/accurate heart rate and pedometer sensors, any other sensors being a nice bonus

- As beautiful if not better designed than the 360

- A SDK

- A few clever things like the watch not vibrating when your phone is on the desk in front of you (using iBeacon/continuity etc)

Then I feel they have met the hype and have the best smartwatch on the market, and a solid base to refine in the future

Well, seeing how apples tick tock strategy, works (refresh, new model, refresh, new model, etc.) The 5s was only a refresh with some enhancements, so the 6 should be a whole different thing, looking forward to it, as apple seems to push other companies to develop more :D  (as example, Sony is now on a 6 month refresh window )

Is there a way to watch this on Windows?

From the front pages in case you missed it 

An easy workaround is this:

Download VLC Player from here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Install it and everything, make sure it works correctly.

Open the program. Click on Media (top left) > Open Network Stream.

You will see this screen: http://puu.sh/bqV9o.png

Paste this link into that field: http://devimages.apple.com/iphone/samples/bipbop/gear1/prog_index.m3u8

Click Play. If you see a video with sound like so: http://puu.sh/bqVgs.jpg

• Like 3

I think it can, if the rumours are true then it should be very exciting, and i was excited until a couple of days a go i seen some CAD designs of the watch and it just cemented my worst fears: The older style iPod nano (the small square with the display) aluminium square thing with a strap. Providing thats the real design i wont be touching it. I'm half expecting a genuine elegant watch design, like the pebble steel.

I agree with others though, i'm not expecting anything to be announced beyond the new iPhone, iOS and Yosemite release dates.. those expecting more will be disappointed and queue the 'was that it' posts. Lets hope they surprise us.

I HOPE we get iOS 8 today, but I don't see it happening.  

iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus or iPhone Air  whatever they will call it

iWatch announcement

I think that will be it. 

I KNOW we will see the iWatch today. To many fashion industry executives have been invited. 

I HOPE we get iOS 8 today, but I don't see it happening.  

I think that we will get iO8 today. Whatsapp has been horribly broken for much of the beta and it was fixed yesterday with an update. In anticipation of iOS8 release. 

Haven't Apple (historically) released the new iOS directly after the event?

• Like 1

They release a Gold Master (GM) of iOS right after the event for developers. The GM doesn't require a dev account to use, so you can...you know...find it...and install it...

It won't be officially released until next week, if it follows that patterns set by the previous iOSs.

That ad makes sense. I've used a G3, S5 and One Plus One and hate that you need two hands, damn my puny hands. 

Phones seem to be trending towards larger screens so I guess I just deal with it. 

You know.. Thinking about what you guys are saying makes sense.. There are going to be a TON of people who still want the smaller screen... .So.. does that mean Apple alienates them today OR do we actually see 3 phones? Or are we keeping the 5s for those people, and then the 2 6's for the other people who want the bigger phones.