Error in COMMENTS?!

Question

What in the world is going on here... all the sudden my one VB.NET project has "newline in constant" and "Too many characters in character literal" errors on EVERY single one of my comment lines... just look at the attached screen snippet.... anyone ever see this before or know how to fix it? I'm pretty sure this is the compiler going nuts but not sure how to fix it... I already "repaired" .NET and Visual Studio and hasn't gone away yet

and this isn't an error with existing text... I can make a completely new code file, new class and the first comment line I type same error immediately shows up

post-47883-0-88516300-1409833934.png

yeah, this started happening on 3 more developer machines now... we still haven't found the key cause but a complete reinstall of windows and VS and it's working again...

we also are having an odd issue now where if you make a new windows form, it will load in the designer, but then all the old forms no longer are recognized by VS as tied to a designer and only show as code files not a form file in the solution explorer... but open the same project on another machine and they work fine... something is really odd, this all happened after we moved to a 3rd party management system with 3rd party managed AV / patch management done by the outside company...

and they claim they've never heard of this happening before