Microsoft UK Takes Shot At Activision Over Destiny Advertising

ddr2EBw.jpg

Over the past couple of days, we?ve been sharing looks at some of the Destiny timed-exclusive content for PlayStation systems. Microsoft UK has taken the opportunity to speak out about its alleged inability to advertise the game in that country.

The official Microsoft UK Twitter account shared the image above, which relates to a ?Destiny Fragrance? website. There, Microsoft shares with readers that Activision has prohibited the company from advertising Destiny.

er68dZU.png

A Microsoft representative confirms to Eurogamer that the website is real. The company is also running print ads in the United Kingdom.

We?ve reached out to both Microsoft and Activision for comment. We?ll update should we receive a response.

[source: Xbox UK on TwitterDestiny FragranceEurogamer]

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/09/05/microsoft-uk-takes-shot-at-activision-over-destiny-advertising.aspx

Our Take
The ads are definitely cute, but they take aim at Activision. I can?t imagine that will be good for the relationship. It also seems a bit odd given Microsoft?s years long deal for early Call of Duty DLC and its own aggressive moves lately, specifically with regard to Rise of the Tomb Raider.

The ads on their own? Clever. The language about being prohibited from advertising Destiny and ?smelling something is up?? Too inside baseball and potentially damaging to a key partner relationship

I always know something is up when a company prohibits advertising of their product, doesn't surprise me seeing as it's Activision.

Does it have to be Activision directly barring the ads or could it stem from the agreement Sony has with Activision regarding exclusive, timed content?

Either way, seems like a clever way of getting around it.

It'd due to the deal they have with Sony, only Sony can advertise the game directly which is why you've never seen a ad for Destiny on the Xbox One.  But this type of deal isn't new, it's been done with other games before.

• Like 2

After tying up COD DLC and advertising it exclusively at every E3, all this will do is pee off Activision. I get that it's frustrating for MS, but lets remember there was some bad blood with Bungie in the first place. Really shouldn't be kicking the hornets nest here and just chalking it up to Sony have this, we have COD.

Activision is getting paid, it's not like they're losing anything from this little bit of advertising.  And Bungie doesn't care either, it seems only the internet blogsphere is looking to make something out of this than it is.   

Activision is getting paid, it's not like they're losing anything from this little bit of advertising.  And Bungie doesn't care either, it seems only the internet blogsphere is looking to make something out of this than it is.   

Well Microsoft I'm sure would pay for all the advertising themselves if they could.

Well Microsoft I'm sure would pay for all the advertising themselves if they could.

What I mean is that Activision is getting paid through it's different exclusivity deals on it's games, Sony already got the destiny deal, activision got whatever it got from that, this little Xbox bit will have hardly any effect on them or anyone else.  And why would Bungie even be bothered?  If anything it's yet more press for their game, so more sales for them in the end, win-win.  

Would of loved to see big billboards everywhere with just the bottle picture above. And the term 'search xbox destiny' for our new fragrance or some other witty line.

People thinking activision will get upset over this? All they're trying to do is sell the game on as many consoles as possible. They'll be having a good laugh at this. The only ones upset would be Sony who paid activision for advertising rights.

That is clever. :laugh:

After tying up COD DLC and advertising it exclusively at every E3, all this will do is pee off Activision. I get that it's frustrating for MS, but lets remember there was some bad blood with Bungie in the first place. Really shouldn't be kicking the hornets nest here and just chalking it up to Sony have this, we have COD.

Poor decision if it's not to do with Sony exclusive deal.

They'd have been better off not saying anything at all. Agree with GI's comments.

Activision already has the Sony $$ in their pockets, they don't care. They were legally bound to deny advertising to MS and that's what they did. I doubt either Sony or Activision will lose any sleep over this especially Activision who will make more money from CoD this year than Destiny.

That is clever. :laugh:

Activision already has the Sony $$ in their pockets, they don't care. They were legally bound to deny advertising to MS and that's what they did. I doubt either Sony or Activision will lose any sleep over this especially Activision who will make more money from CoD this year than Destiny.

I doubt Activision care about the free advertisment either, but "airing the dirty laundry" of the deal so publicly wasn't necessary or a smart move.

Since Actievil shut down all MW2 ports that actually INCLUDED CONSOLE AND DEDICATED SERVERS they can and sit something in up deep. Ooooh, and it was on the DVD instruction manual that console will be opened with ~ like always but guess what, they later said no console coming.

People keep blaming EA but EA is a saint compared to Actievil.

I doubt Activision care about the free advertisment either, but "airing the dirty laundry" of the deal so publicly wasn't necessary or a smart move.

Neither is blocking advertising, which seems like the kind of thing you'd normally be concerned about as it isn't exactly consumer friendly, rather than some pretty joke. Nobody seemed to mind when Sony was taking pot shots at Microsoft last year.

Neither is blocking advertising, which seems like the kind of thing you'd normally be concerned about as it isn't exactly consumer friendly, rather than some pretty joke. Nobody seemed to mind when Sony was taking pot shots at Microsoft last year.

I remember lots of people minding, but it's not a 1:1 comparison anyway. MS and Sony are rivals not partners.

As for blocking the advertising itself, I'm not bothered. If the game was blocked from release, i.e Tomb Raider scenario, or even delayed, then I'd be bothered.

I just think it's unprofessional.

Sounds about like Sony 'airing the dirty laundry' about EA access discussions.

MS and Sony sometimes have to do things like this pr wise in order to counter whatever effect is in place thanks to some kind of deal. In this case, MS still needed to get the word out about Destiny launching on the X1.