Feedback on new design

And now the thread is moved....

Anyways, Timan, I have a question for you since, if you are also the designer:

post-25747-0-86528200-1410272337.png

As you can see I have 2 messages and 0 notifications. They are represented by a 2 and a 0

post-25747-0-77595400-1410272360.png

Once I read them I have 0 messages and 0 notifications. They are represented by nothing and a 0.

This is inconsistent with the guide. Worst, take a look at the forums:

post-25747-0-83981200-1410272463.png

Ignoring for the fact that obviously the design does not follow the same as the new one, are you can see, nothing is displayed when there are 0 messages and 0 notifications.

This isn't really a bug or anything but why did you decide this?

Also, on a personal note, it seems there are "color issues" with any type of notification when our avatar is greenish. Maybe a JS that detects the color of our avatar and slightly modifies the color?

Hi

I don't post about this stuff much but I'm finding it so frustrating. 

The site has adopted the big front page post style of Engadget etc.  but it seems to forget that it's a different type of site to Engadget.

I look at Engadget's page each day but that's it, I post on Neowin and I stay much longer because of the community - since the update it feels like more of a news page than a forum powered news site.

I do find myself scrolling past loads of old, time wasting articles on the front page, it was never a problem before they started taking up a fifth of my screen per post.

New Neowin is big and shiny but it doesn't have the news articles to justify so much wasted space on the front page - it's an amazing forum but, for now, seems to forget that from a front page point of view, unless you spend an hour scrolling down.

Sorry if I've annoyed anyone, it wasn't my intent :-)

Is it just me or does the site appear to be rather sluggish lately? Pretty much after the new design came in, I'd be waiting 10-20 seconds for the site to load at all :s

Not just you and also not because of the design, server seems a bit overloaded sometimes lately, site has been down multiple times last few weeks lately, just small 10min or even 1min downtime. Might actually also be a connection timeout instead of actual downtime.

I change the News comments to Oldest First, then browse a few more news article and its fine. A few more articles later, its back to Newest first. This is bugging me enough to make me consider finding a new source for my technology news. I heard The Verge is pretty good...

<Threads merged>

I don't think we need separate threads for feedback. ;)

We were told by Timan that everyone should make a separate thread (especially for bugs) so everyone's petitions could be reviewed and revised without missing a detail...

But as always: "The big guys" that do nothing forget about the "code monkeys" that do all the hard work.

Thank you Timan for all the dedication and time you put into the site, irrelevant if we like it or not. Some members tend to forget that (most) of the staff do not get paid at all for what they do and what Timan did for the site costs a lot of time/money.

We were told by Timan that everyone should make a separate thread (especially for bugs) so everyone's petitions could be reviewed and revised without missing a detail...

But as always: "The big guys" that do nothing forget about the "code monkeys" that do all the hard work.

Are you for real right now?

I just realized that the background color on the main page matches Windows 8 Start button's when you hover your cursor on it. I think that's pretty damn cool, keep up the good job :D

it was fixed at the beginning of the week. if it's still occurring for you then try clearing your cache

(I can confirm this as i edited a front page comment a few days ago and it worked correctly)

Definitely still not fixed.

Definitely still not fixed.

weird, i haven't had the double post glitch occur for me once. the edit button has always worked for me as expected since the fix went through

I agree.  Are the huge globs at the top supposed to represent top trending articles or something?  Seems they always show old crap, and never a current major headline. i.e. I've yet to click on one of them so why do they deserve such importance vs the things we do want, like the minispy.

• 2 weeks later...

When browsing the main home page using a desktop browser such as Firefox 32.0, and scrolling up, is it intentional that the top/header nav bar keep sliding down (to be visible)...every time you scroll up a little bit??

I'm curious if it's intentional.

I don't think it's bad; I just hate that you can't go to your profile immediately by clicking your profile picture icon in the top right... but other than that its fine.

• 2 weeks later...

It should already be enabled by default but I guess they are still working on some bugs. I enabled it too, and after a long session the fonts sometimes get garbled. It now says "disable DirectWrite" in flags, whereas until recently it said "Enable DirectWrite" :p

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the main page gets over twice the amount of unique hits than the forums :)

Yes, as soon as a few important bugs are sorted out, that will be a priority.

Just to let everyone know in the latest version of Google Chrome Version 38.0.2125.101 m they have fixed the terrible font rendering issue on older versions of VBulletin which meant i had to change the default setting of the DirectWrite flag, so i changed it back to default and everything now looks normal again.

It is possible that if there were any other font issues that Neowin was experiencing they also may have now been fixed.

I don't think it's bad; I just hate that you can't go to your profile immediately by clicking your profile picture icon in the top right... but other than that its fine.

Don't worry that's been reported as a bug, fingers crossed it should be fixed.

• Like 1