Feedback on new design

Take some note from new Windows Store design ;) Smaller header bar does indeed look better, heres the mockup I threw together withing few minutes

Oh c'mon, the header is not that big. Small header instantly makes website look dated. Plus, the header hides itself when you scroll down so it's not in the way when you're reading an article.

How do I TURN OFF mobile view when viewing site on an iPhone?

I would much rather look at site in Desktop view, both on phones and tablets.

Mobile view looks like Fischer Price!

Take some note from new Windows Store design ;) Smaller header bar does indeed look better, heres the mockup I threw together withing few minutes

That header bar is way to cramped.

Good to know about directWrite, thanks. Hopefully it will be enabled by default in the near future or you'll get lots of people with the same initial impression that I had

I have to disable DirectWrite to make fonts smooth and not look like arse.

I don't know which is the "official" Theme thread so I write here again:

I love the new Theme, plain and simple... thumbs up.

But please make List View to default View, Tiles View is bugging.

On IE9 (8.1 latest updates) the site appears extremely slow. More than 10 seconds to get the content.

I have to disable DirectWrite to make fonts smooth and not look like arse.

You sure about that? One of the main things people complain about with DirectWrite, is that because it follows the glyph outline properly, the rendered glyphs are much smoother than something like GDI (Which only applies anti-aliasing to the horizontal edges, vertical edges are aliased)

You sure about that? One of the main things people complain about with DirectWrite, is that because it follows the glyph outline properly, the rendered glyphs are much smoother than something like GDI (Which only applies anti-aliasing to the horizontal edges, vertical edges are aliased)

Having re-read the flag I think I may have it wrong. I thought I was Disabling DirectWrite. The wording is weird. You press enable to disable DirectWrite. Huh?

post-66220-0-09433300-1408959522.jpg

I have DirectWrite on, cos I cannot read English, d'oh.

Sorry

Those featured articles are just simply far too large. There should perhaps be an option to hide them or something because for example in my Virtual Machines, I run them windowed at 1440x900 and the front page is almost just all featured articles you have to scroll down to view the actual content.

post-252462-0-45307900-1408960070.png

I made this "retouch" via chrome on-the-fly element editor, made those huge images smaller and blue text in news:

SbIMHDq.png

btw is it normal that I get food ad on this site?

1. I can't agree on that one, if I'm not wrong, the previous header wasn't much smaller...

2. Agree, it would be better if they are all 4 the same height and smaller (like the 2 left ones)

3. #2 would fix that issue.

4. They contain more then before, nothing wrong with

5. I don't mind them there, but it would be more professional if they where hided under "more" indeed.

Are you actualy using a CSS/JS framework for the new design?

On the main page I feel the "article-tiles" are too large.  Unless the site were designed to be surfed on a phone(and maybe it is?), I would like to be able to see more than 4 article-tiles(headlines) at once, and I don't think they need to be 5 inches across.

Cross posted:

Like, smoothness and responsiveness

Dislike: Related stories take up way too much attention from comments
Tags to big, top bar bezel to big, why not just leave minimal bezel?
Bug: When changing to darkside and you scroll, only what was viewable on screen changes to darkside until your refresh (chrome and opera)
When changing to darkside, ads do not match color (obviously), this is more pet peeve, but still.

Social media, social media social media. Links above, on the article and then at the bottom of the page, why not streamline social media features?

Top action bar: News, reviews and more all have automagic dropdown menu, except for forums! Why not quick minispy or perhaps the "trending forums" instead of a bland anchor doing nothing (as it goes with the whole lively thing)

Title Community activity is barely readable, whereas topics stand out a bit more.

Gotta work, I'll be more anal about the design later.

Have not read everyone elses posts yet, however from a first glance I think it looks awesome.  I will continue to use and see how it is from a functional standpoint.

It should already be enabled by default but I guess they are still working on some bugs. I enabled it too, and after a long session the fonts sometimes get garbled. It now says "disable DirectWrite" in flags, whereas until recently it said "Enable DirectWrite" :p

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the main page gets over twice the amount of unique hits than the forums :)

Yes, as soon as a few important bugs are sorted out, that will be a priority.

DirectWrite is enabled as default in the dev channel, so hopefully in 6 weeks time we'll have a stable build with DirectWrite enabled for everyone. :)

DirectWrite is enabled as default in the dev channel, so hopefully in 6 weeks time we'll have a stable build with DirectWrite enabled for everyone. :)

It's still enabled by default for me in beta channel. They'll be introducing directwrite support to the UI too but they have some problems to work out.

Im gonna post this a bit bigger so everyone can see:

Timan mentioned that everyone should make their own thread with their own feedback and constructive opinions. Please do not highjack mine or others thread. If you post here, make sure it is a comment about my OP. Thanks.

Right so, since everyone else is sharing their own opinions I will as well: :)

The Good

* The return of Darkside.

* Supports multiple views for news articles.

* Comment section in news articles now support images.

* Same version of site for all devices.

* Big font for smaller devices. (e.g. phones)

The Bad

* No notification support yet.

* New design is not currently available on the forums.

* No adjustable font sizes.

* Uses the never ending page scrolling instead of page numbers. (aka Load More) *1

*1 - Problem existed in the older design as well.

In conclusion, the redesign was much needed and is much better & more friendlier than the previous design. There are only a few minor problems, but it's nothing that can't be fixed. :)

• Like 2

So wait, is the notification system broken?  I get them, but when I click on them (from the forum) I only see a blank white screen, does this happen for others or is this just specific to me and IE11 on Windows 8.1?

I haven't posted in ages and actually I hardly even log in anymore, but I've always continued to visit daily for the news.  I just had to break my silence to let you all know what a beautiful design this is!  I usually can't stand redesigns...not because they're bad, but because I get annoyed easily by change.  I think this could quite possibly be my favorite version of Neowin yet.  I did notice the Chrome direct write issue right away but found Neobond's post.  I haven't checked it out on my iPad yet, but I did on my S4.  I think it was an improvement there as well.  Keep up the good work guys!   :)

• Like 2

So wait, is the notification system broken?  I get them, but when I click on them (from the forum) I only see a blank white screen, does this happen for others or is this just specific to me and IE11 on Windows 8.1?

No issues whatsoever on Windows 7. (Y)

I wouldn't suggest it's an IE related bug, nobody else has mentioned it that I've seen... What happens if you try another browser as a test?