Idea's to keep Camera safe?

I'm going to be travelling soon abroad and the place I'll be living isn't the safest, I'll be in a house, but thefts are common. so i need some idea's on how to keep my kit safe. it's not like thief central, but there have been thefts in the past, because people sleep outside, with fans running so no one hears anything if someone jumps a wall and decides to take what they want. 

I've seen for laptops those Laptop slip cases that look like padded envelopes which I'm thinking of getting for my laptop, but I just bought a Nikon D3200 and would really hate for it to get stolen! I'll be getting a camera bag for it, but don't want to keep it in there all the time when it's not in use because it's an easy target. 

anyone got any idea's??

you'd have to find something big enough to hold the camera, if your going to be keeping a lens on the camera, or extra lenses, big enough to hold them, or keep them separate.

one thing that i came across that might be worth doing, but will be dependent on where you are going and if the item is considered high value or a target. the casing of an old CRT TV, with all the guts removed, keep your stuff in it and prop the front against a wall. looks like an old broken TV, no one will touch it, and you can probably pick up the casing of an old TV from most places that sell scrap. but this will only be practical if you are staying in the same place for a while.

• Like 1

you could also take out travel insurance and insure your camera encase it is stolen or damaged. never done it myself, but maybe someone else could recommend a good company/policy that would cover you.

• Like 2

you could also take out travel insurance and insure your camera encase it is stolen or damaged. never done it myself, but maybe someone else could recommend a good company/policy that would cover you.

+1 Travel insurance is  really cheap, around $30 per month depending on article insured.

• Like 1