The Americas Is Fattest Region In The World

Quito, Ecuador ?  The countries of the Americas have the highest obesity rate in the world, said Ecuador's representative to the Pan American Health Organization on Tuesday.

"Obesity, overweight affects at least one of every two adults and there are already some countries where it is three of every four," PAHO's Gina Tambini said in a meeting with reporters in Quito.

She said that this "epidemic" is affecting children and teenagers.

"One in every five children and teenagers is being affected and in some countries it is already one in every three. These are really alarming figures," Tambini said, adding that the worst thing is that those levels of obesity and overweight are linked with chronic illnesses such as diabetes and heart problems.

She said that the countries where the situation is the most critical include Mexico, Chile and the nations of the Caribbean.

more

Yep all you see when you walk around walmart is fat people. Not just a little fat but obese. That being said an hour 1/2 ago I just got back from a 3.5 mile walk! :D

On my way to walmart the other day there was this woman on this motorized electric thing....she was HUGE .... I looked at her and OMG ... I think her belly was ALMOST rubbing on the ground... while on the transportation device.

I used to be perfectly fit (back in high school).

Now I am 15 pounds overweight thanks to dorm food.

15 pounds?! Oh the hardship... You poor poor thing... That must be causing you all kinds of problems... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

15 pounds?! Oh the hardship... You poor poor thing... That must be causing you all kinds of problems... :rolleyes:

I used to think that till loosing 18lb of overweight pounds brought both my blood pressure and pulse into normal ranges. New studies are finding out that these so called "skinnyfat" people are at extremely high risk for health problems just like their obese counterparts. Being overweight even by 10lb is extremely unhealthy.

Considering that 15 over is not considered obese, it's hard to tell if serious or not :P

I need to lose 35 pounds to be normal again :(

Actually, if being fat is more common than being a healthy weight, then you are normal :)

Loose the weight to be healthy, not normal  (Y)

Isn't fast food more expensive?

Nope 

A decent Salad will run you about $5-$9

A burger from a fast food restaurant will run $1-6 depending if its a combo. 

You also couple that with lack of exercise and its a recipe for obesity. I know here in Atlanta or Georgia in general, obesity is higher partly because people walk less compared to drivin

Nope

A decent Salad will run you about $5-$9

A burger from a fast food restaurant will run $1-6 depending if its a combo.

You also couple that with lack of exercise and its a recipe for obesity. I know here in Atlanta or Georgia in general, obesity is higher partly because people walk less compared to drivin

I made a chicken breast wrapp with tomatoes lettuce avacado etc only 450 cal and cost about 3.20. Poverty has zero to do with this directly. The contribution is their undrectly as poverty leads to depression and evidence from the UK says up to 90% of those that are obese are on antidepressants which can easily be related to poverty. I would wager low economic class combined with depression would lead to abusing food.
  • Like 1

It's absolutely crazy that for probably the first time in human history you can be poor and fat at the same time. It used to be only the rich could actually buy enough food to get fat. Something is seriously wrong with this picture...

I used to be obese (literally 90+ pounds overweight), decided to stop eating half a box of cheez-its at night and started walking daily. I am now in a healthy weight range (if anything 5-10 pounds overweight still, but very healthy overall). I also now run 3.5 miles daily (5 times a week) and walk on weekends.

A large part of dieting is what you eat. I can spend a week eating nothing but veggies and lean meat (turkey/chicken/lean beef) and lose another 5 pounds if I want to, but I'm healthy enough now that I don't try to lose a ton more weight (still very slowly losing weight, but the curve has leveled out quite a bit).

It's absolutely crazy that for probably the first time in human history you can be poor and fat at the same time.

If you go to a poor (wo)man's house you might not get much material confort but you will always find food.

I used to be perfectly fit (back in high school).

Now I am 15 pounds overweight thanks to dorm food.

You should have walk it off or work out so you won't be a few pounds overweight... 

If you don't walk it off or work out, then you will have overweight problem like you said.

If you want to lose it,  do one of the following steps:

1) drink water and walk for a couple of hours (2, 4, 6, or 8 hours) everyday. Eat right.

or

2) work out and eat right.

or

3) talk to a professional about diet program that works for you.

Me getting cancer was the catalyst for me getting healthier. When this all started I weighed 387 pounds, but when I found out what I had I went on a diet that consisted of nothing but veggies and water. Ironically, im in the best health of my life a year later, but could die any time.