What are the strips on the side and back of recent iPhones

Hi

Just wondered - are the strips on the side and back of iPhones something functional - i.e. some sort of antenna - or are they purely for design?

They bug the hell out of me as they seem to spoil what would otherwise be an attractive handset!  No more so than on the iPhone 6 where they now loop along the top and bottom of the rear plate, especially the 'champagne' coloured variant where they're bright white!  Simply awful.

My guess, is since the back is aluminum and based on the experience the had with the iPhone 4, it's for connectivity (Wifi, GPS, LTE, GSM, etc. )

Thanks, I thought it might be - still, if I was Jonny Ive, I wouldn't let it out the door looking like that.  Seriously spoils the aesthetic.  Sadly, I'll still buy one :p

I thought it might be - still, if I was Jonny Ive, I wouldn't;t let it out the door looking like that.  Seriously spoils the aesthetic.  Sadly, I'll still buy one :p

Same thing goes the HTC one. That said, I don't understand why they can't simply add some sort of material on the metal band surrounding the phone, sorta like the iphone 4.

iPhone-4-stainless-steel-bezel-bottom-le

Obviously this design, failed to some point, but I think it could've been improved, as I too agree with you, thos stripes on the back are just flat out horrible.