Minecraft to join Microsoft

So it's basically a big white wash operation. 

MS has several billion in liquid assets in foreign accounts, these can't be brought back to America without heavy taxes.

Liquid assets don't make money(enough) and shareholders don't like them.

Spend a lot of them buying Mojang.

in one year these 2.5 billion will earn more as the Mojang asset than they would as liquid assets. and the money they earn are banked as American dollars so they get the money back to America without taxes.

They can at any time sell Mojang again to turn it back into liquid assets. But as long as it makes more money than liquid there's no point. 

Hence why MS won't be doing any major changes, at least not in the immediate feature with mojang or Minecraft. 

Waste of money :no:

So much could have done with that to bolster their 1st party studios or even create new ones.

Again, the issue is that the money was trapped in Europe, it had to be used in europe, and is basically a way to launder european money to american money without paying repatriation taxes. 

Again, the issue is that the money was trapped in Europe, it had to be used in europe, and is basically a way to launder european money to american money without paying repatriation taxes. 

There's more ways of doing it than just throwing it all at one developer with a one hit wonder.

• Like 2

Yeah, the community demanded those changes and yet, the predicted result did not materialize, shocker.

When the kinect was unbundled, price dropped and even the latest offering of any free game you want Xbox One console sales increased over the previous months. It did not surpass PS4 sales but that doesn't mean positive effects didn't come from it. If they didn't do those things Xbox One sales would have been in a much worse state.

• Like 2

If true probably due to already signed contract obligations between Mojang and Sony. It's the future that's uncertain and what MS may or may not to do to the actual game (development wise).

I wouldn't worry at all. They'll continue to sell it for everything, but don't be surprised if they start doing Minecraft 365.

It's going to the cloud.

I still don't understand why MS would buy a company for one game. 

I'm pretty sure they bought Bungie so they could have Halo to be exclusive.  So it is not far fetched for a company to buy another just for one game.

Your posts on international taxes and funds transfers between accounts in other countries really make no sense. Money laundering is the process of legitimizing funds that were earned illegally not what you think it is.

Playground and Remedy are both based in EU, right? They both would have been much better acquisition from purely gaming angle but I guess this is not only about games - MS nows own Lego in a way, which is big.

It's not like they are suddenly out of money :laugh: they can still buy or invest in other studios.

I'm pretty sure they bought Bungie so they could have Halo to be exclusive. So it is not far fetched for a company to buy another just for one game.

bungie and Halo were nothing when they bought it. bungie had a few notable hits but not on the scale of Minecraft.

I get told that a lot on Neowin, I'm like the anti-christ of Neowin Gaming :p But we'll see what the future now brings. Anyway, much better reply, thanks for sharing.

Not really, you have a lot of friends around here. Plus, a lot of people that are on the same side of the conversation.

When the kinect was unbundled, price dropped and even the latest offering of any free game you want Xbox One console sales increased over the previous months. It did not surpass PS4 sales but that doesn't mean positive effects didn't come from it. If they didn't do those things Xbox One sales would have been in a much worse state.

We still don't know if it was the price drop or kinect removal that helped sales though. People will assume based on what they want to be true.

No doubt that the recent sales have helped, but things don't seem very positive outside of that.

Waste of money :no:

So much could have done with that to bolster their 1st party studios or even create new ones.

How is it a waste of money? It's about buying one of the most successful game franchises ever. A purchase that will return its self and then some. This is simply about buying a guarentied money maker and adding more assets to Microsoft.

The goal here wasn't to create new game IPs or studios. 

Again though, I'm not running away arms waiving... I'm taking a wait and see so I sincerely hope my fears are unfounded.  "Wait and see" for me though means I'm not going to spend one more cent on Minecraft until I actually see what MS is doing with it and not just what PR says they are going to do.

Thank goodness for people like you. Your actually willing to wait and see what happens before jumping to a conclusion. The internet should take notes.

I may not play Minecraft at all, but I'm very interested to see what changes, if any, MS pushes. MS has access to some great server tech that could be used in ways that players would approve of.

wonder if the next microsoft version of Minecraft need windows 9, and not playable on win 8/7.

"You need to upgrade your OS to play Microsoft's Minecraft. Tap/Click to Purchase Windows 9 right now.", or something simillar.

Your posts on international taxes and funds transfers between accounts in other countries really make no sense. Money laundering is the process of legitimizing funds that were earned illegally not what you think it is.

I know what it is, and this is a way to get income without paying repatriation taxes, they explain it a lot better on economic sites. 

There's more ways of doing it than just throwing it all at one developer with a one hit wonder.

true. but they're doing this because it's a guaranteed return. as MS themselves say. the first year they will break even(as in these 2.5B will make them more money being invested in the Mojang asset than they would earn in interest as a liquid asset. What other studio and purchase could guarantee that ?

I'm not sure if MS is going to fiddle with the Minecraft formula as we know it or not.

But I do believe that MS will use Minecraft as leverage.  

I don't believe it even takes much to run Minecraft...   And if that is the case, desktop pc's (even budget pc's), Surface, Windows Phones, etc... Can all come pre-loaded with some variant of Minecraft, and if tied to Xbox Live/Microsoft Account,

Microsoft can tout "Play Your World Anywhere, Anytime" or something to that extent.

I can see Minecraft and Azure becoming best friends.  

Can you picture this running/living on Azure and just scaling properly to the display...

Pull out an i-Device, Android Device, Windows Phone, Surface, Galaxy Device, Desktop PC, Xbox, Playstation and your world as you left it is still intact and scaled properly.

That would be great for those who love Minecraft (such as my son).  

Would be a great fit if you ask me.