Minecraft to join Microsoft

I can't imagine a scenario where MS would be actively paying developers to write Java code for an indefinite period of time.

That's a problem in and of itself. Right or wrong the community is under the impression there will never be a 2/3/4/5 because Minecraft is under continuous development with just periodic snapshots being released and then eventually blessed as official released. It's an evolutionary process. If MS stops that process and says "Ok, Minecraft 1.0 is done now here is Minecraft 2.0 which is incompatible and you have to pay again to got it" then there is going to be a storm of negative press unlike anything you have ever seen. Now maybe they can make Minecraft themed Karting although I'm not sure that would do so well.

If it makes them money Microsoft don't care what technology is used. Microsoft make apps for OS X which means buying Mac computers and developer subscriptions, etc. This is really no different.

"What on earth are you doing MS... " While I agree with you: Microsoft Cash and Short Term Investments (Quarterly): 85.71B for June 30, 2014

Edit: They should try to buy Nintendo again.

This is very surprising! :o

At least there's a chance of Minecraft coming to Windows RT & Windows Phone now that Microsoft owns it. Other than that, I can't see much else changes happening as I believe they would want to keep it the way things are to keep their players happy.

This is very surprising! :o

At least there's a chance of Minecraft coming to Windows RT & Windows Phone now that Microsoft owns it. Other than that, I can't see much else changes happening as I believe they would want to keep it the way things are to keep their players happy.

With Minecraft maybe, but for the future (Mincraft 2?) if you're paying 2.5 billion you're definitely looking to cockblock Android and Sony.

2.5 billion can produce I don't know how many new IPs... Having money to burn is one thing, making a stupid decision with said money is another. Notch is taking them to the cleaners and then some.

With Minecraft maybe, but for the future (Mincraft 2?) if you're paying 2.5 billion you're definitely looking to cockblock Android and Sony.

2.5 billion can produce I don't know how many new IPs... Having money to burn is one thing, making a stupid decision with said money is another. Notch is taking them to the cleaners and then some.

That could be the case and I agree that it is a stupid move on Microsoft's part. However we can't be so quick to judge as recently Microsoft has put in a lot of effort to port their software & games to other platforms.

The merchandise rights alone are worth a hell of a lot of money. 

There will never be a 'Mincraft 2', but there will be a 'Minecraft Starwars Ep VII' etc etc. They'll make that 2B back ten fold very quickly.

I very much doubt that. They'll be looking to make as much money off the franchise as possible, which will mean bringing it to as many platforms as possible. If you look at Microsoft outside Xbox, they're bringing all their services to as many devices and as many people as they can.

After Peggle 2/PvZ and the new TR I think you guys are being a little generous to think there's going to be any sort of competition parity if 2.5 billion exchanges hands for an IP.

After Peggle 2/PvZ and the new TR I think you guys are being a little generous to think there's going to be any sort of competition parity if 2.5 billion exchanges hands for an IP.

Unfortunately none of those games really compare to Minecraft. The situation is completely different. For one thing this is about owning an IP. Plus, Minecraft is more like a gaming service that it is just a stand alone game.

I know people around here took MS to task over buying timed exclusives, but this about owning an IP. I'm really not sure how MS will steer it since they have shown a willingness to put their software on other platforms. Sure, that would be new to the console world, but not elsewhere.

I'm not convinced this is a good move, I just don't see that much value in the IP, but MS must have done their homework and found something more. I do hope they continue looking at developers that can help their platform and bring them in. If they are willing to pay so much for Minecraft, then maybe a weak Capcom could be next.

If it makes them money Microsoft don't care what technology is used.

I doubt that's true. Having an app they actively develop and support run under a rival virtual machine is not a situation they would want to be in. iOS doesn't allow virtual machines so I'm not sure how Minecraft even works there and it may not be an issue for MS. Android may be fine as well just because their mobile market share MAY protect them but I cannot imagine MS actively developing and supporting a desktop application in Java. The Desktop Minecraft (which is the main version under Mojang) would almost certainly be called "complete" and cease development. They MAY release a new version in something other than Java (likely C#) but it would be a complete rewrite and almost certainly incompatible and would thus alienate the existing community (which is what they are paying all this money to get right?)

Microsoft make apps for OS X which means buying Mac computers and developer subscriptions, etc. This is really no different.

Microsoft has made apps for Apple OS for decades. There was a Mac version of Word 1.0 in 1984 and I'm not even sure that was the first Mac application by Microsoft. Pointing to the face MS makes software for the Mac doesn't demonstrate in any way MS has a new "run anywhere" attitude. Can you name me ONE application MS makes that they officially support running on (desktop) Linux? Not that it works fine under Wine, not that you can unofficially run it on Mono, not that they've opened sourced it and others have built a version on Linux but a product that they actually develop, sell, and support on Linux.

Sure for mobile apps and for web based services MS develops apps for competitors. There are indeed iOS and Android versions of many of their apps. That's a function of the fact that Windows Phone has virtually no market share. If they only released their apps on Windows Phone they create a vacuum for third parties to step in and fill. If everyone on google had to use Google Office apps and everyone on Apple used Apples mobile office apps then as time goes on and those apps improved users would just get used to using them and would likely gradually migrate away from Office even on the Desktop. It's in MS's interest to keep people using Office as they don't want to just cede the mobile market. If MS and Android's market share were flipped I have no doubt MS would cease releasing apps for Android.

Furthermore games are another matter entirely from productivity apps. Microsoft doesn't really release much in the way of games for PC. Their games studios focus on Xbox and Windows users are even lucky to see them, let alone Mac, Linux, or others. I don't see Halo: Spartan Assault, the Windows Phone game being ported to iOS or Android.

I don't see Halo: Spartan Assault, the Windows Phone game being ported to iOS or Android.

Sure, but SA doesn't have an install base tens of millions of people strong (nor was it on other platforms to begin with). Those people aren't going to buy an Xbox because Microsoft stops making Minecraft on other devices. They'll just lose money and a fan base on that and you can bet they know it.

They should try to buy Nintendo again.

That would make more sense but Nintendo is worth around 16 billion dollars based on it's market cap.

It would make sense though because presumably you'd be getting MULTIPLE premier franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.) and you'd hopefully retain their designers and such so you'd have great minds with the potential of developing new franchises.

Minecraft is a whole different concept. Mojang didn't make Minecraft. Minecraft made Mojang. The first versions of Minecraft went on sale BEFORE Mojang even existed. Mojang was founded using the profits Minecraft was already generating. Notch made Minecraft and even he admits he'll likely never match it. That doesn't even matter though because from all I've heard so far they aren't even getting Notch, he's selling to walk away and move on with his life (can't say I blame him.) What's left is just a bunch of developers who where hired to maintain Minecraft. There is little chance for another great hit to come from them, in fact I wouldn't be shocked if MS fired the lot of them and just used its own existing developers. They'd have a better shot just founding a new studio with that money and hiring gifted talent. So what exactly are they buying? It's not the amazing Minecraft tech, it's not the developers, if it's the brand then they are going to have to sell an awful lot of Lego sets and t-shirts to recoup $2.5 billion. If it's the existing community then I'm not even sure how they handle that because any changes they make to the EULA or that break plug-ins/servers is going to cause a revolt and end up with a ton of BAD feelings. This seems like they are walking into a minefield to me... and paying a ton of money for the opportunity to do so.

• Like 1

Sure, but SA doesn't have an install base tens of millions of people strong (nor was it on other platforms to begin with). Those people aren't going to buy an Xbox because Microsoft stops making Minecraft on other devices. They'll just lose money and a fan base on that and you can bet they know it.

I understand why they don't release SA on other platforms. My point was just to refute others claims that MS is all about putting their apps EVERWHERE now, they're clearly not... ESPECIALLY for games.

If you contend though that Joe Public who is playing Minecraft of his PS3 or PS4 is going to run out and buy an Xbox One if MS buys Mojang and stops supporting it on the platform they already have it on then I can't imagine that working. When MS tells them that the app THEY ALREADY HAVE is no longer supported they are going to be ANGRY at MS. They are NOT going to run out and buy an MS product.

MAYBE that would have worked if they had bought Mojang BEFORE the PS3/PS4 version was announced/released. I can't see how it would work now. The public doesn't typically give MS the benefit of the doubt. Especially after the Windows 8 Start Menu, Xbox One's phone home, etc. I can all but guarantee that, right or wrong, the public would perceive that as MS taking something away from them. There would be a ton of negativity directed at MS and that is absolutely NOT going to lead to more Xbox One sales.

• Like 2

I understand why they don't release SA on other platforms. My point was just to refute others claims that MS is all about putting their apps EVERWHERE now, they're clearly not... ESPECIALLY for games.

If you contend though that Joe Public who is playing Minecraft of his PS3 or PS4 is going to run out and buy an Xbox One if MS buys Mojang and stops supporting it on the platform they already have it on then I can't imagine that working. When MS tells them that the app THEY ALREADY HAVE is no longer supported they are going to be ANGRY at MS. They are NOT going to run out and buy an MS product.

MAYBE that would have worked if they had bought Mojang BEFORE the PS3/PS4 version was announced/released. I can't see how it would work now. The public doesn't typically give MS the benefit of the doubt. Especially after the Windows 8 Start Menu, Xbox One's phone home, etc. I can all but guarantee that, right or wrong, the public would perceive that as MS taking something away from them. There would be a ton of negativity directed at MS and that is absolutely NOT going to lead to more Xbox One sales.

Microsoft is taking solid efforts to move more games to PC that have only been xbox exclusives. 

Why do you think Microsoft is going to pull support for the platforms it brings in the most revenue on? It won't. There's a reason they ported office to iOS instead of keeping it a windows phone/tablets. Revenue. Microsoft is not going to pull any support from android or PS3/PS4. The xbox will get a **** ton of exclusive content. We will see exclusive content spin off games. We will see more merchandising then we already have. They will not drop publishing on platforms it's already being published on.

What would be interested is to see the Microsoft logo on a PS4 game case  :laugh:

2.5 billion now - http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0H72EV20140912?irpc=932

What on earth are you doing MS...

Seriously - I would rather see them buy Playground/Remedy instead. :/

Unlikely under new CEO. Minecraft has much bigger audience than TR.

Seriously - I would rather see them buy Playground/Remedy instead. :/

Unlikely under new CEO. Minecraft has much bigger audience than TR.

Much better idea. Hah, or even Insomniac if they deliver on the XB1 - Although they'd maybe have to release their R&C rights to Sony.

Buy up some indie devs/start new studios/view kickstarter for popular investments (swoop in and outright sign up any popular games on kickstarter). Anything really with this kind of money. Even just get some existing independent game companies to do some exclusives - Sony signed ThatGameCompany (Flow/Flower/Journey) on for a 3 game contract.

There's soo much you can do with a crazy figure like 2 or 2.5 billion that would better help the industry. I'm all in favour of MS actually using that kind of money for exclusive games/IP, it's what breed competition, but this obsession with going after stereotypical multiplatform content with a possible intention to cockblock is lame :/

It definitely sounds like suits deciding if we do this can we make more money based upon merchandise/books/figures/etc than actually anything to do with gaming at all... and that's sad.

• Like 1

Deal is supposed to be announced tomorrow at 2.5 billion

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0H72EV20140912?irpc=932

78k0Gje.png?1

:p

But yeah as I said above just think of how many cool games MS could have made/funded from 2.5 billion  :(

• Like 3

But yeah as I said above just think of how many cool games MS could have made/funded from 2.5 billion  :(

yeah :s     not exactly seen the logic here....

yeah :s     not exactly seen the logic here....

At most they should just have bought shares in the company, even 49% so that Mojang remain in charge and MS just benefit from a revenue stream. I just can't get my head around 2.5 billion. BILLION.

At most they should just have bought shares in the company, even 49% so that Mojang remain in charge and MS just benefit from a revenue stream. I just can't get my head around 2.5 billion. BILLION.

Mojang is privately held. They did buy shares. All of them. They won't discontinue any of the current versions because they make money. In the near future Minecraft will also be making money on Windows phones and tablets in addition to consoles, iOS and Android.

Much better idea. Hah, or even Insomniac if they deliver on the XB1 - Although they'd maybe have to release their R&C rights to Sony.

Buy up some indie devs/start new studios/view kickstarter for popular investments (swoop in and outright sign up any popular games on kickstarter). Anything really with this kind of money. Even just get some existing independent game companies to do some exclusives - Sony signed ThatGameCompany (Flow/Flower/Journey) on for a 3 game contract.

There's soo much you can do with a crazy figure like 2 or 2.5 billion that would better help the industry. I'm all in favour of MS actually using that kind of money for exclusive games/IP, it's what breed competition, but this obsession with going after stereotypical multiplatform content with a possible intention to cockblock is lame :/

It definitely sounds like suits deciding if we do this can we make more money based upon merchandise/books/figures/etc than actually anything to do with gaming at all... and that's sad.

I am beginning to wonder if the deal started outside their gaming division. If Xbox had that kind of money to throw around, they would have actually dropped price instead of just unbundling Kinect.

Remember, desperate Microsoft is the best Microsoft. I hope this decision is more than gaming.

I am beginning to wonder if the deal started outside their gaming division. If Xbox had that kind of money to throw around, they would have actually dropped price instead of just unbundling Kinect.

Remember, desperate Microsoft is the best Microsoft. I hope this decision is more than gaming.

It'll have come down from the top, the biggest suits trying to leverage a popular revenue stream. I would hope if MS' gaming division had sole control over this decision they'd have laughed it off and spent that kind of money on other things if they were given that kind of budget to spend.

I don't agree desperate MS is the best, any desperation is bad. To get things right you need good planning and listening to your customers/community. Desperate MS has what caused them their headaches to start this gen vs Sony who came in far better prepared for what the gaming audience wanted to hear.

The gaming community keeps wanting MS to bolster internal studios and fund new IP. They have for a while. Spending 2.5 billion on Minecraft, a game they can already play on 360/XB1 does nothing to help that.