eBay dispute problem..

I replace the cd player in my car with an after market unit so i sold the original on ebay. It was pulled working from my car and i even tested it before sending it... This was 3 weeks a go. 

Now the guy has randomly messaged me saying the unit is not working in his car, it does not power on at all.

I have a 100% rating on ebay and i use it on a weekly basis, i would never intentionally sell a faulty item. In this case it wasn't faulty, it was as good as new and tested so if the unit has broken then he must have done it himself when fitting it and trying to pull a fast one.

I know if he goes down the PayPal dispute route he will end up getting his money back, i have sent him some troubleshooting tips but something tells me this guy wants his money back.. is there anything i can do? I don't want to be out ?40 with a busted unit, if he even returns it.

[edit] he has now asked for a refund.

Have the customer return the item at his own shipping expense.

Refund/Cancel the purchase so that you get your eBay/PayPal fees back.

Do not issue a refund util you get the item back. If the customer gives a negative feedback after the purchase was refunded contact eBay and see if you can get it removed because you have fulfilled the buyer protection. 

Sometimes if you slap in a restocking fee with shipping paid by buyer it creates a small barrier so them not to send the item back.

that's why you take pictures of it turned on before you ship it. if they damage it when installing it, then you have proof it powered on at least.

That is a good idea, noted for the future.. but wont help me in this case :(

What can I do if the item is returned and damaged? Can i refuse to refund him? otherwise i'm out ?40 with a busted unit because he managed to damage it during fitting?

What can I do if the item is returned and damaged? Can i refuse to refund him? otherwise i'm out ?40 with a busted unit because he managed to damage it during fitting?

Add photos of it to the PayPal dispute, and hope you get an adviser at PayPal who can be bothered to look through them.

you can, but then he'll open a case against you, and you will lose. ebays policies protect the buyer from receiving damaged good(based on his caim,not necessarily what happened),and will make sure they get a refund. I don't even think a human is involved in this process, and the system automatically sides with the buyer. the cards are stacked against you, and the best thing you can do is tell him to pay the return shipping and return the item, and keep your feedback from having a negative rating.

you can, but then he'll open a case against you, and you will lose. ebays policies protect the buyer from receiving damaged good(based on his caim,not necessarily what happened),and will make sure they get a refund. I don't even think a human is involved in this process, and the system automatically sides with the buyer. the cards are stacked against you, and the best thing you can do is tell him to pay the return shipping and return the item, and keep your feedback from having a negative rating.

Thats what I thought but a terrible business model from eBay they should be protecting sellers as well, anyone can literally buy something and accidentally damage it and return a faulty item for a full refund leaving the seller out of pocket and with no item. 

Horrible service from PayPal so far, received an email this morning saying they had made several attempts to contact me and if i don't add some funds to my account balance over the next few days they will be sending it to a collection agency... i check my account and can see they have removed the funds so my account is in the red. I didn't even know about it, the guy only opened the claim a few days a go and that was the first contact i received from PayPal.