Apple Just Uploaded A U2 Album To Your iPhone/iPad..And Seriously, WTF

Yes if you don't want it and it is taking space up on your iPhone. I wonder if everybody would be so understanding if it were a Justin Bieber album.....

so then remove it.  I posted instructions on how to do so.

but in case someone can't click on the link:

Step 5 of 5: How to delete the U2 album

What if you don?t want to listen to the new album, how can you remove it from your music collection?

You could just open iTunes on your Mac, locate the album and hit delete.

To remove it from your iPhone or iPad, go to Music and switch off ?Show all Music?. This way you won?t see any tracks that aren?t actually on your iOS device. This is likely to be an annoyance next time you want to grab a track or two from your collection via iCloud though as you won?t be able to see them there to download.

Would figure reputable sites would know how to remove/delete it from the device and playlist.

Apparently they don't.

I wonder if everybody would be so understanding if it were a Justin Bieber album.....

It's not though. I'd figure U2 has a bit more universal appeal

Lots do not want this. If you do not select it to download or add it yourself to your list, it should not be there period.  People who dont want the album is getting it downloaded automatically when they didnt select it. Why should they have to disable their automatic DLs just because they dont want one album forced on them.  And it appears many are not happy about it.  and there are more comments out there.

Apple should just have said, free album, and gave people the option to add it and DL it.

Are there people who don't want it? Sure there are. There are people who don't like U2 or the genre or just plain don't want anything they didn't curate themselves. I get that...

In this case, the only people who had this automatically appear to be people who are signed up for iCloud. I downloaded the album on my iPad and I was required to manually go into the iTunes store and even enter my password like a traditional purchase. But, as I mentioned earlier, I don't use anyone's cloud services on any of my devices. I would wager that this is sort of the cost of doing business type of deal. People want all of these services for free and then they cry foul when it is made apparent to them that they aren't the customer, but the product being sold...

Safe to chalk up the time lost deleting the album or hiding it or whatever as a pittance to the cost they would have incurred paying for the cloud service.

So if I dumped a "free" picture of goatse onto 500 million devices out there, you wouldn't complain?

Why would I? Free "junk" are the norm on electronic devices and, as such, are par for the course. I don't use 90% of the Apple supplied apps on my iPad nor do I use most of the Google apps on my Android device. They are still included for "free" and require me to work to remove them... I don't see people losing their hair over the stock Wallpapers included with iOS, for instance.

Why would I? Free "junk" are the norm on electronic devices and, as such, are par for the course. 

Not this though:

a naked man stretching his anus with both hands, to approximately the width of his fist. The inside of his rectum is also clearly visible. Below his gaping anus, his dangling penis and scrotum are visible

Album is getting a bunch of bad reviews. 

It's alright. If you like U2 that is.

snip

I just dont like things forced on me like many out there dont.  Free or not, doesnt mean it is good or people want it and shouldnt complain if they get it.  There are lots of free things out there I would never want and this is one of them.  Proper thing for Apple to have done was to allow users to download and add it themselves. 

• Like 1

Yes if you don't want it and it is taking space up on your iPhone. I wonder if everybody would be so understanding if it were a Justin Bieber album.....

no one said you can't delete it or remove it...

I don't want to get the free newspaper that shows up at my house, it goes directly into the trash...I don't complain because it is easy to throw it in the trash.

Not this though:

It's alright. If you like U2 that is.

Thanks. I wasn't aware that it was something as jarring as that. :|

I just dont like things forced on me like many out there dont.  Free or not, doesnt mean it is good or people want it and shouldnt complain if they get it.  There are lots of free things out there I would never want and this is one of them.  Proper thing for Apple to have done was to allow users to download and add it themselves. 

I don't either, but this is why I don't use anyone's cloud services. By allowing their service to "push" anything to my device, even things I want, I'm also allowing them to push things they may want on my behalf; as is the case here.

If you listened to the keynote, it sure sounded deliberate on their part, the way they worded it (i.e. something like "in 5 seconds it's automatically going to appear in everyone's library")

If you listened to the keynote, it sure sounded deliberate on their part, the way they worded it (i.e. something like "in 5 seconds it's automatically going to appear in everyone's library")

Ahh, well, I normally cannot listen to keynotes or the whole presentation.  I work during the time they are shown so I just read about it later.

no one said you can't delete it or remove it...

I don't want to get the free newspaper that shows up at my house, it goes directly into the trash...I don't complain because it is easy to throw it in the trash.

No but who pays if it tips them over their data limits... 

And what next, a free film from your Government... if this was an email it would be called spam.

if it is even on  your idevice, it is very possible that it is not and that users aren't technically savvy enough to understand that it is not..complaining just to complain as people often do when they have nothing better to do.

and what do we do with spam....we delete/trash/remove it.

To remove it from your iPhone or iPad, go to Music and switch off ?Show all Music?. This way you won?t see any tracks that aren?t actually on your iOS device.

So if I dumped a "free" picture of goatse onto 500 million devices out there, you wouldn't complain?

I thought it was U2 that was uploaded, not Justin Beiber!

Looks like it was a gesture with good intentions that wasn't really thought through... They haven't technically pushed it to your device, they gifted it to your account and if you have automatic downloads on it's obviously going to try and download. It was a nice idea but they should realise not everyone likes U2, i for one wont be downloading it.

All the banter about 'oh it's free- deal with it' is disturbing.

Even more disturbing is the fact Apple can put things in your account without your consent. This suggests they can remove things at their whim as well.

So they have access to your account without your knowledge.

• Like 3

Even more disturbing is the fact Apple can put things in your account without your consent. This suggests they can remove things at their whim as well.

Yup, there are multiple stories around the net, that because iTunes somehow reported a double song in a playlist, deleted every media content.

Apple can put things in your account without your consent. This suggests they can remove things at their whim as well.

Huh?! Of course they have access to your account. They're the ones running that whole iTunes thing. If Amazon decided to gift you some MP3s they could just "put it in your account without your consent" as well. Or even remove it from your account later.   :|

This is apples network/service.  They own it, people use it...not the other way around.  They can suspend your account without notice, you think that they cannot do anything else to your account without your consent?  They can change the rules/terms of their service at any time without your consent or notice or have you not read the EULA...Remember the U in EULA is user, that is all you are.  You don't "own" your account, they allow you use it by agreeing to their EULA.

• Like 3

This is apples network/service.  They own it, people use it...not the other way around.  They can suspend your account without notice, you think that they cannot do anything else to your account without your consent?  They can change the rules/terms of their service at any time without your consent or notice or have you not read the EULA...Remember the U in EULA is user, that is all you are.  You don't "own" your account, they allow you use it by agreeing to their EULA.

Wow they certainly own you.... personally if I don't think something is right I shout about it and that will hopefully make an impact so that those who are, in my view, doing something they should not maybe change course.

nobody owns me.  I just read and understand what I am agreeing to.  If I don't like it, I don't install it.  If you don't like how the EULA reads or don't understand it, you may want to refrain from using said services.  Most EULA's to cover their future behinds read that they can do whatever they want at anytime they want without your consent or knowledge.  You agree to this everytime that you click the "I agree" button to install whatever software, you don't like it you may want to protest it prior to allowing the program to be installed on your computer.  It is a legally binding contract between you and the service or software provider, you may want to skim that at the time that you chose to install it and possibly even print it out incase that they change something that you don't agree to in a later version (which in most cases you have to agree to the new terms prior to updating/installing it). 

Don't be a negligent user that expects your stuff to be in your control when you are agreeing to something that says the opposite and then complain about it when you find out later that you are not in control when you have agreed to it not being in your control.  Understand what you are agreeing to before you install anything. You may be signing over your entire paycheck by allowing the software to be installed on your computer and don't even realize it because it is just another annoying eula that no one ever reads. 

Bottom line, you just want to use their software.  Who cares what the EULA says and if you don't like it you will complain when something doesn't go your way even though you have thoughtlessly agreed to what they have done.  Does complaining make it right? No.  Does agreeing to the EULA that make them wrong? No.  Does agreeing to the EULA and installing the software make you wrong? Yes.

If enough people complain, sure they will remove it because that is good PR and PR does not like to have a good name dragged through any kind of mud. But understand it does not violate any agreement that they have with the end user...end users shouldn't complain that it just showed up, if anything they should be complaining that it is unwanted not the fact that it just showed up.  My issue is with those that are complaining that it just showed up without their consent, instead of stating that it is simply unwanted.  An email to the account holder that apple was giving this music for free to all itunes account holders would have been ideal, giving you the choice of downloading it into your collection...this would solve both issues, only those that wanted it will put it in their collection and no one would be complaining that it showed up without their consent (two birds, one stone).  Instead from what I have seen here is that people are complaining about the fact that it was put in without their consent, well they don't need your consent to do what they want with itunes or your account in itunes.

Man what is it with some of you guys?  Why doesn't anybody complain that Steam adds games to YOUR....YOUR library during game x free weekend?

I checked, I do not have the U2 album in my list.  And I have Show All Music turned on..

Do you guys get mad when Apple/Amazon/Google/... refund your money to your account balance?  OMG they have access to your account's funds and can add funds!

So what is the issue here?  Privacy?  You do realize they did not go into 500 million accounts to add the album right?  They most likely scripted it and let it run automated.